Pod Your Reef

Kimber's Pretty Pico - New super short video

kimberbee

I know I'm not going to win this contest. Things are happening in life and not in this little pico.  I'll likely move everything out and use the container as it was meant - as a terrarium. :unsure:

• Like 1
6 hours ago, kimberbee said:

I know I'm not going to win this contest. Things are happening in life and not in this little pico.  I'll likely move everything out and use the container as it was meant - as a terrarium. :unsure:

I assume that you mean after the contest is over.

Image result for baby groot gif

We'll miss your updates, even if nothing much changes.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
4 minutes ago, seabass said:

I assume that you mean after the contest is over.

Image result for baby groot gif

We'll miss your updates, even if nothing much changes.

Yep till after the contest and probably then some. Little Groot is safe in his home. Luckily the things I have in there so far - snails, groot, strawberry nem, and even the little gorg are doing well. I've only been doing 50% every other week water changes. 

• Like 6
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The contest is coming to a close!  March 31st will be the official end of the competition and then the voting will begin.  In order to help the community decide what tanks to vote for, each remaining contestant will need to do the following:

1. PM me three (3) final photos that you think summarize your container reef.  The composition for two of these is up to you, but one of them should be a final FTS taken sometime during the month of March.
  2. PM me a written summary of your container reef build and experiences throughout the competition.  This should be no more than 250 words.
  3. These items must be private messaged to me by midnight (Pacific Standard Time) on March 31st.

Whelp, closing is set for the 30th, and we'll likely be moving that weekend. This tanks days are numbered, and though I don't know the exact number, it won't last until the contest is over. I have a new video ready to upload, but I also feel like I should just quietly bow out. :unsure:

• Like 1
  • Sad 3
4 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

Whelp, closing is set for the 30th, and we'll likely be moving that weekend. This tanks days are numbered, and though I don't know the exact number, it won't last until the contest is over. I have a new video ready to upload, but I also feel like I should just quietly bow out. :unsure:

That small of tank can you just unplug and move it all at once? Happen to have an inverter in you car? I know my truck has one and used it for a heater and pump once.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, spectra said:

That small of tank can you just unplug and move it all at once? Happen to have an inverter in you car? I know my truck has one and used it for a heater and pump once.

Because it's a terrarium and not really an aquarium, the glass is not all that thick. Plus, the tag it came with explicitly stated "DO NOT MOVE WHEN FILLED" so I wouldn't really be comfortable moving it with anything in it. Considering how little there is in this little pico It's probably best to shut it down when it's time for he move. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Yep, I say submit your final pics and summary... then tear it down for the move.  IMO, not maintaining your pico past the contest, or even tearing down your pico on the last weekend shouldn't disqualify you.  It's nice to see the diversity of the entries; the more the better.

• Like 3

Could the orange thing be a slime mold? I feel like some stop motion photography would be super interesting for this!

Edited by DarkMagic
added video
  • Wow 2
10 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

Video number 5... better late than never...?

I am amazed at how clean you kept your pico.  Most folks who don't have time to have another tank just forget about it altogether but you kept your tank immaculate. Kudos to you and good luck to you in your upcoming move to your new home!

• Like 2

If you would like to be included in the final voting, you're more than welcome!  I will just need your writeup and final three photos by private message by tonight at midnight (PST).

I'm sorry to hear you have to take the container down to move, but a new house is exciting! Good luck with the move!  

On 3/31/2018 at 1:20 PM, Felicia said:

If you would like to be included in the final voting, you're more than welcome!  I will just need your writeup and final three photos by private message by tonight at midnight (PST).

I'm sorry to hear you have to take the container down to move, but a new house is exciting! Good luck with the move!  

I appreciate the reminder Felicia, unfortunately I just had toooo much going on in life. 

On 3/31/2018 at 6:02 PM, gena said:

omgomgomg 

Where did you end up buying a house?

Valparaiso. Closing in Thursday. :scarry:

• Like 4
1 hour ago, kimberbee said:

I appreciate the reminder Felicia, unfortunately I just had toooo much going on in life. 

Wow, really cool project! Loved the look of the whole pico. Are you by any chance from Chile? As you're moving to Valparaiso! hahaha cheers!

3 hours ago, kimberbee said:

Totally understandable!  I just wanted to let you know you were still eligible if you wanted to participate in the final voting.  Good luck with the closing!

11 hours ago, kimberbee said:

That's so close to where I lived...LaPorte!  My mom and I used to take trips to Valpo often...to a health food store there that she liked.  The memories :).  I'm so excited for you!!!  Congrats!!!!

9 hours ago, gena said:

That's so close to where I lived...LaPorte!  My mom and I used to take trips to Valpo often...to a health food store there that she liked.  The memories :).  I'm so excited for you!!!  Congrats!!!!

I'm so excited too. I really can't wait to get out of here!! 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, kimberbee said:

I'm so excited too. I really can't wait to get out of here!! 

What's your house like?  Do you have a decent lot or did you go subdivision?  I'm hoping to get an acre when we move.  Well, an acre at the minimum.  I'm so over the city living :).  I don't mind having all the perks of a big city nearby...I just don't want to be in the middle of it again.  Unless it's a brownstone in Manhattan or something like that...that'd be cool LOL.

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, gena said:

What's your house like?  Do you have a decent lot or did you go subdivision?  I'm hoping to get an acre when we move.  Well, an acre at the minimum.  I'm so over the city living :).  I don't mind having all the perks of a big city nearby...I just don't want to be in the middle of it again.  Unless it's a brownstone in Manhattan or something like that...that'd be cool LOL.

3 bed, 2.5 bath, full basement on half an acre. It's in a subdivision, but once the developer left, the homeowner's decided to let the association die. I think I counted 80 homes and we're surrounded by cornfields, just a few miles south of Valparaiso's downtown area. 

At the risk of giving away where the house is, we'll be walking distance to the Porter County Fair!! 

house.JPG

• Like 6
  • Wow 2