ReefCleaners.org

Clean-Up Crew Confusion

GenericReefer

GenericReefer

Hey reefers!

One of the last things I ask to set up my 10g reef tank is the clean up crew! I decided on having a no crab clean up crew, because of their possibly violent nature, and having to place in more shells. My stocking is just an Ocellaris Clown, a sexy shrimp, and some tisbe pods being fed Spectrum Thera A pellets daily, with Rods food biweekly. @Lula_Mae has recommended me several types of snails, but I am still unclear on how many to add. So how many and what kinds of snails should I add, and when?

-Generic Reefer

• Like 1

Add only a few to start and more as needed.

If you have too many and there isn't enough for them to survive on, they end up dead.

Nassarius for sand bed - 2

Trochus - 2

Cerith - 3 

You don't need 20 or 50 snails in a 10g tank.

Clown makes a good suggestion.  I actually have never had more than 5.5 gallons so I struggle with number recommendations for bigger tanks lol.  But definitely start low and go higher as needed, giving them a couple weeks in between to catch up.  If you do decide to try a hermit, look for scarlets as they are supposed to be pretty docile.  I had a bad experience with zebras but I think Clown has had a good experience so it all depends on the crab lol.

Oh, and if you're in the states, a good place to look for CUC is Reef Cleaners.

Dougefresh35

Reef cleaners has a nice all snail CUC called a 10gal quick crew that Ive had good luck with also they have some good info on their web page about what type of snails to start out with and why.

8 hours ago, Clown79 said:

Scarlet and Halloween hermits are great. Never any issues with either.

Make sure it's a scarlet not red legged.

Scarlet have yellow eye stems

I was finally able to pick up my first scarlet the other day locally, trying him out!  Fingers crossed... :unsure:

• Like 1

Ive had good luck with Reefcleaners.com.   I recently started up a 29g and bought the package for that size.  I added a few hermits though and if you ask they will send you some extra empty shells for them to switch to.

39 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

I was finally able to pick up my first scarlet the other day locally, trying him out!  Fingers crossed... :unsure:

The only hermits I've ever had issues with were the zebras and red legged. They were the ones that would have occasional fights.

Scarlets seem very gentle

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

The only hermits I've ever had issues with were the zebras and red legged. They were the ones that would have occasional fights.

Scarlets seem very gentle

Yeah I think my accidental hitchhiker from LiveAquaria was a red leg and he killed my porcelain. :tears:

4 minutes ago, NanoReefMinimalist said:

The snails create more problem then they solve. For 10g, do not use any substrate. There are a lot of bare-bottom good looking tanks.

Out of curiosity, why do you say snails cause more problems than they solve.

And, as the owner of a bare-bottom pico, I am firmly in "put sand in it if you want to" territory. ;)