Top Shelf Aquatics

Lula Mae's "Jarden" of Enjoyment--dinos :(

Lula_Mae

14 hours ago, Rene said:

You bought the feather duster!  I was wondering where it went!  Hope it does well for you ;)

Yeah, the yellow one I got from regular LiveAquaria a month or two ago, and the big one I found locally.  I hope they do well too!

13 hours ago, seabass said:

Maybe over an inch.  I didn't notice any problems regarding reef-safeness.  Hopefully you'll see more of him.

Awesome, I hope so, all I can see is a distorted yellow blob at the bottom of my powerhead. :lol:

12 hours ago, vlangel said:

My line is off to the side but now I am wishing I had put it on the painted side. O well, too late now.

At least it's not too noticeable on the side!  Maybe I should just put my scape on a turn table so I can turn it away from the lines in the glass... :lol:

12 hours ago, seabass said:

I just bought another one.  I'm going to redrill mine. :mellow:

Haha have fun with that?

11 hours ago, schgr.cube said:

OH mannnnnnn I want a squat lobster so bad! This looks great so far. 

Thanks, it is a cool little critter!

11 hours ago, GunslingerGirl said:

I want to join the squat lobster club! darn.

New Creative Container Pico Contest rule...everybody is required to get a squat lobster! :D

11 hours ago, metrokat said:

What a cool invert! I love your stocking selection so far. 

Thanks, he is pretty cool!  At least I think so, since I can't really see him well. :lol:

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Actually, a turntable would be a great way to view a reef jar in the round!  I guess the cords and airline going in could be a problem.  They would need to be on a swivel.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, vlangel said:

Actually, a turntable would be a great way to view a reef jar in the round!  I guess the cords and airline going in could be a problem.  They would need to be on a swivel.

oooh, I like this idea for my pico too.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, vlangel said:

I actually thought of that last week LOL.  But the cords and airline would be an issue.

• Like 2
On 10/18/2017 at 9:27 AM, vlangel said:

On 10/18/2017 at 9:32 AM, seabass said:

It would be cool to 3D print a turntable for inside the tank that rotated the rock (maybe even powered by an air pump).

Haha I was thinking inside the tank, but outside would be neat too, if you had a way to do it!

19 hours ago, metrokat said:

oooh, I like this idea for my pico too.

I'll be charging commissions! :lol:

17 hours ago, cfaye@Delaware said:

oooooOOOO Looking good......Very nice !!!!! Inverts for sure !!!!! 

Thanks! :happy:

17 hours ago, gena said:

I actually thought of that last week LOL.  But the cords and airline would be an issue.

Shhh we'll pretend it was my idea. :D

12 hours ago, fishfreak0114 said:

Omg I just understood the title!  I can't believe it took me so long... :blush:

:lol: No worries, I can be a little slow on the uptake too!

12 hours ago, gena said:

Jarden or Jarquarium :D

Yeah, also meant to be a play on/tribute to the name of the GSP garden the rock and sand came from.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3
18 hours ago, fishfreak0114 said:

Omg I just understood the title!  I can't believe it took me so long... :blush:

Don't feel bad, I didn't get it for quite a while either, ha ha!

• Haha 2

I posted about this on my 5.5 thread, but I received some frags from an awesome member here, unfortunately the gorgonians didn't appreciate the trip through the postal service and started dying, sloughing flesh, turning the tank cloudy and everything mad.  I ended up removing the gorgs and did several partial water changes on this tank and dosing Prime and Microbacter.  Things look a lot better but still not 100%.  The big feather duster dropped his crown and was hanging way out of the tube that first night.  I think he's still in there (I hope...).  I saw the pom pom that night but haven't seen my inverts since then so I hope they are still alive.  I need to take the tank apart and glue the rocks together for stability (bought some epoxy for this too) but had a very busy weekend as it was my birthday and we went to the Renaissance Festival and did fun family stuff too.  We did go by my favorite LFS Friday and I picked up a gorgeous purple and green mushroom that looks even better under the Coral Compulsion bulb on the 5.5 than it did under the Kessils at the LFS! 

Once I get the rocks arranged I want to start gluing things down.  I do have some hair algae still in this tank so I need to brush it off when I do a big water change.  The red St. Thomas jumped his frag plug so the zoas that were tucked under him are now free, I will probably pull the rubble they are on off the big plug and glue them to a more stable piece of rubble.  I added the monti digitata to this tank, it is still deciding whether it likes it here.  I may move it back to the 5.5.  I have added another GSP frag from the 5.5 and a piece from the member who sent me stuff, it is a gorgeous long-tentacled one and looks so pretty.  I may yet get my GSP garden!  Also added some pretty purple anthelia and a black sponge he sent me, not 100% if I'll leave them in here or not.  I think my pink cabbage leather is growing a bit.  I also added an air bubbler when I was dosing the prime, it's turned pretty low but adds oxygen and a little movement to the tank.  May leave that in there, not sure yet.

• Like 5
3 minutes ago, Rene said:

Bummer!  When water quality suffers in these things, there really isn't a lot of room for error :(. I hope everything bounces back quickly!

Thanks, both my tanks had a couple days of real worry since I'd split the gorgs between them, but seem to be a lot better now.

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

Thanks, both my tanks had a couple days of real worry since I'd split the gorgs between them, but seem to be a lot better now.

I am happy to hear that things seem to be a lot better.  Thats the way to weather the storm!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Rene said:

I dunno why, but gorgs, like palys and sponges, can release some nasty stuff when they die. It's always the quiet ones!  >:(

I'm pretty quiet in real life so I have had this said about me on occasion. :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Hey, love your stocking! I really really really hope I can finally get a pompom now I have a real pico! *fingers crossed* 

Just wondering, didn't you cycle your tank? I see a lot of people adding water and immediately adding corals and stuff, I am a little confused :blush:

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Lisa166 said:

I see a lot of people adding water and immediately adding corals and stuff, I am a little confused :blush:

You need to be sure that the rock isn't generating any ammonia.  If there is any ammonia present, you have to wait until it's all been processed.  Or if the rock already has a biofilter (like if it came from another tank), then once ammonia is undetectable, it's ready for livestock.

It's a little trickier when there isn't an established biofilter (or just a weak biofilter).  However, with some bacteria in a bottle and a very light bioload, it's possible to add corals fairly quickly.  You should still test for ammonia, as even feeding your coral a little can overwhelm a tank with no biofilter.

The contest might be prompting some people to move a little quicker then they normally would.  However, I think most people are at least trying to be responsible about it.

• Like 7
16 hours ago, Orangutran said:

Happy belated birthday! Hope all the cool inverts are still kicking around.

Thanks!  Me too, they are neat little guys!

15 hours ago, Lisa166 said:

Hey, love your stocking! I really really really hope I can finally get a pompom now I have a real pico! *fingers crossed* 

Just wondering, didn't you cycle your tank? I see a lot of people adding water and immediately adding corals and stuff, I am a little confused :blush:

I hope so too, they are neat little crabs!  Even if I never see them lol.  I actually pulled everything (rock and sand plus some of the corals) from my little GSP garden I'd started up a couple months ago.  It had already been through the rough cycling bits so it was basically a tank transfer (I rinsed the sand well though of course).  Not what I'd originally planned but I realized I couldn't keep up with so many tanks, especially with planning to set up the big one soon.

7 hours ago, fishfreak0114 said:

Happy birthday!!  :wizard:  <--that was closest I could get to a party hat haha 

Haha thanks! :flower:

• Like 3

Did a lot of work tonight on the tank, I took out all the rocks (except the one the big duster has attached his tube to) and reworked the scape so I could epoxy rocks together.  It's not the most beautiful scape ever, but it's pretty stable (the old one was a bunch of rocks stacked on each other, I took three rocks out and rearranged them, epoxied and glued together).  Scrubbed all the yucky hair algae off everything including frags and put the loose St. Thomas mushroom in a cup with rubble so he can attach to something better than the GSP he was trying to attach to. :lol:

Sadly, I found the remains of the porcelain crab, and all I found of the squat lobster was one tiny claw.  I'm super bummed. :tears: RIP cool inverts.  The pom pom is still kicking and was highly annoyed at me for disrupting his cheerleading.  Silly crab!  Letting everything settle before I decide on placement for frags and such.  I forgot to rearrange the scape so the line isn't visible, but I did turn the jar so it's on the side for now.  Will have to do better later.  Maybe.  :closedeyes:

• Sad 2
On 10/23/2017 at 10:49 PM, Lula_Mae said:

I'm pretty quiet in real life so I have had this said about me on occasion. :lol:

Yep, I can totally see this!!

6 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

Did a lot of work tonight on the tank, I took out all the rocks (except the one the big duster has attached his tube to) and reworked the scape so I could epoxy rocks together.  It's not the most beautiful scape ever, but it's pretty stable (the old one was a bunch of rocks stacked on each other, I took three rocks out and rearranged them, epoxied and glued together).  Scrubbed all the yucky hair algae off everything including frags and put the loose St. Thomas mushroom in a cup with rubble so he can attach to something better than the GSP he was trying to attach to. :lol:

Sadly, I found the remains of the porcelain crab, and all I found of the squat lobster was one tiny claw.  I'm super bummed. :tears: RIP cool inverts.  The pom pom is still kicking and was highly annoyed at me for disrupting his cheerleading.  Silly crab!  Letting everything settle before I decide on placement for frags and such.  I forgot to rearrange the scape so the line isn't visible, but I did turn the jar so it's on the side for now.  Will have to do better later.  Maybe.  :closedeyes:

Oh no!!!!!!

Very sorry. :(

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

Yep, I can totally see this!!

Oh no!!!!!!

Very sorry. :(

Me too. :( Hoping LiveAquaria has more yellow squat lobsters soon.