ReefCleaners.org

Lula Mae's "Jarden" of Enjoyment--dinos :(

Lula_Mae

Just now, fishfreak0114 said:

Purple star polyps sound neat!  The jarden is looking pretty :) 

Thanks, your coral pot is awesome!  I hope they turn out to be actually purple, unlike my purple digi which is a sort of boring tan. :rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
fishfreak0114
2 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

Thanks, your coral pot is awesome!  I hope they turn out to be actually purple, unlike my purple digi which is a sort of boring tan. :rolleyes:

Thanks!  At least the digi is alive haha, that's better than I could do with it!

2 minutes ago, fishfreak0114 said:

Thanks!  At least the digi is alive haha, that's better than I could do with it!

Ha but barely!  Two nubs at the end of the skeleton is all that's left.  Poor thing has been a trooper!  Funny, the last time I tried it in the jar, it hated it and closed all the polyps up tight.  Guess it's figured out beggars can't be choosers. :lol:

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Picture time!  First, a funny story.  A couple weeks ago when I got the PSW for the 15L, I also grabbed a purple star polyp frag from Diver's Den.  It came, I dipped it and tossed it in, not thinking much except it seemed a little funny colored.  Well, I finally took a good look at it when I noticed no polyp extension for days and realized:

IMG_20180117_222941728_HDR

That's not PSP!

IMG_20180117_061528189

I think it's maybe a chalice of some kind, the rep said I needed to send a pic so they can evaluate it in this case so I'll be doing that shortly.

Secondly, I mentioned on @JoeR's thread that my order this week was held up by snow.  I lost a beautiful squat lobster but also got a pom pom crab!  It's in my bitty frag tank atm but will probably move over here soonish.  It's hard to see but he has one pink pom and one white pom!

IMG_20180120_233456670

RIP beautiful guy with racing stripes!

lg-0112181-010.jpg

One thing that did survive is my new pink and white dwarf feather duster!  His tube is tiny and he's been popping his way across the front, trying to find a spot he likes.  I spotted the blue CBS hanging out by him this morning.

IMG_20180120_093846570

Lastly, some of you might remember when I got the bimaculatus blenny last summer that was malnourished and failed to eat.  Well, they had them in stock so I decided to try again!  This guy has a slightly concave stomach but nothing like the other one.  He's also a bit bigger and more active and pecking at the rocks so I'm hopeful for him.  Photo overload ahead:

IMG_20180120_231107543_HDR

IMG_20180120_231109736_HDR

IMG_20180120_234350655

IMG_20180120_234354649

IMG_20180120_231113325_HDR

IMG_20180120_231051888_HDR

IMG_20180120_231048405_HDR

Can you spot him?

IMG_20180120_231733531_HDR

I also added some dwarf ceriths from my GCE order (got virgin nerites and big ceriths for the 15L too).  I can't remember if I posted about it but last week or so I glued up most of the rest of the zoa frags so they are off the sand bed.  I also got a magnet cleaner made by IM from DFS so now I can clean my glass! :lol:

• Like 14

Awesome, what a fun day for you! 

Do you think the feather duster has a chance at long term survival in a pico like yours? I’d think they would filter all the good stuff out pretty quickly and then starve, but honestly I don’t know much about them. Other than I want one now haha

• Like 1
1 hour ago, JoeR said:

Awesome, what a fun day for you! 

Do you think the feather duster has a chance at long term survival in a pico like yours? I’d think they would filter all the good stuff out pretty quickly and then starve, but honestly I don’t know much about them. Other than I want one now haha

I've had a yellow one since September in the GSP garden-now-Jarden.  I do feed the tank filter feeder food occasionally.  My 5.5 has a bigger yellow and purple one that I've had almost a year!  He dropped his crown once when dying gorgs caused problems but has been doing great otherwise.  The yellow one in the jar dropped his crown from stress a couple times (seriously, the issues the GSP garden and Jarden had early on...ridiculous.  Poor guy!) but is still doing great.  The blenny will eventually probably end up in the 5.5 but am not sure yet.  Depends on what I end up doing with the jar.

• Like 1

Hope you see your pom pom crab more than I see mine! lol I only get a glimpse of him when I place a chunk of frozen food by his cave, and he grabs it with a long leg, then back inside his cave! 

Those cone frag plugs you have... I'm not sure if I like them. lol They look almost more natural, but harder to hide?

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Orangutran said:

Hope you see your pom pom crab more than I see mine! lol I only get a glimpse of him when I place a chunk of frozen food by his cave, and he grabs it with a long leg, then back inside his cave! 

Those cone frag plugs you have... I'm not sure if I like them. lol They look almost more natural, but harder to hide?

The one in my 5.5 I rarely saw till I got two. I think I may have lost one now but I did see the pom pom and the porcelain chilling on the same rock the other night! :wub:

Those cone plugs are from Legendary Corals. They're hard to hide in a pico lol. I suspect they'd be fine in a large tank.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, gena said:

I love that fish <3.  So how is he doing in the jar?  I wonder if you are the first to add a fish????? :) 

So far, so good, I just checked on him and found him perched jauntily on some zoas, I said "Hey, you're sitting on my zoas!" and he looked at me like, "...And?" :lol: I believe GraniteReefer has added a fish but not sure anyone else has. I wouldn't have if the jar were smaller, for sure.

7 hours ago, vlangel said:

I love it too.  Those blennies have awesome personalities.  So how will you do big WCs?  Thats what has kept me from getting a fish.

I have only been doing partial water changes but will have to step up frequency (been like every couple weeks lol). Figuring out a regular water change schedule has been hard for me since my schedule changes from week to week but that's something I'm trying to do as I try to get more organized this year. :)

I got home super late this morning as my car broke down as I got to work last night and I had to call AAA and get it towed this morning. Good thing I'm off for a few days. :rolleyes: So I forgot to check on everyone and am still so tired lol.

• Like 4

Sorry about your car.  Was it just the battery?

Yeah, I'm still planning to add a fish too.  I'll probably wait another month.  I've been doing 100% water changes, so adding a fish will change that.  However, I figure that weekly 50% changes should be adequate.

8 hours ago, seabass said:

Sorry about your car.  Was it just the battery?

Yeah, I'm still planning to add a fish too.  I'll probably wait another month.  I've been doing 100% water changes, so adding a fish will change that.  However, I figure that weekly 50% changes should be adequate.

Haven't heard from the mechanic yet for sure but he thought it sounded like the alternator went out. I barely made it into the parking garage, it was pretty scary in the moment but a little humorous to look back on.

What kind of fish are you thinking?

On 1/22/2018 at 4:43 PM, Orangutran said:

22 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

The one in my 5.5 I rarely saw till I got two. I think I may have lost one now but I did see the pom pom and the porcelain chilling on the same rock the other night! :wub:

Those cone plugs are from Legendary Corals. They're hard to hide in a pico lol. I suspect they'd be fine in a large tank.

Re-quoting this because I looked in early this morning and saw BOTH pom poms! :wub:

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Lula_Mae said:

What kind of fish are you thinking?

With my tank at just over 2 gallons, I think a small goby (maybe one of the clown gobies or maybe an Eviota goby).

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, seabass said:

With my tank at just over 2 gallons, I think a small goby (maybe one of the clown gobies or maybe an Eviota goby).

I thought about those too, they are so cute! Decided to try a blenny again. LiveAquaria says they get to 1.5 inches, don't believe it. Mine's at least two! :lol: He's spunky, though, and quite bold compared to the other one. He likes to do laps and perch on the hapless zoas, some of which mind more than others lol.

• Like 4

I also was thinking of a small goby, probably a yellow clown goby since they perch on the rock more than the bottom.  Without sand I doubt some of the other gobies would fare well.

• Like 1
54 minutes ago, vlangel said:

I also was thinking of a small goby, probably a yellow clown goby since they perch on the rock more than the bottom.  Without sand I doubt some of the other gobies would fare well.

YCG's are so cute!  I've always worried about getting one eating.  When I got my clown, there was the tiniest little YCG there but I was too worried because I'd lost so many fishes over the summer to try one.

• Like 1

Realized I hadn't done an official FTS for January so here we are:

IMG_20180131_225515987_HDR

The pink and white dwarf feather duster decided to abandon his tube and plant himself in the sand as you can see here:

IMG_20180131_225531212

Thankfully he's right in front so I can watch him a lot!  The yellow one off to the right is still doing fine.  My new milli frag is not, I noticed yesterday it is receding badly. :(  I also added a halimeda frag from GCE, it's turning white in places for some reason.  I also added some dragon's breath which is tucked back on the right side.  So far so good and crossing my fingers lol.

• Like 10
23 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

Realized I hadn't done an official FTS for January so here we are:

IMG_20180131_225515987_HDR

The pink and white dwarf feather duster decided to abandon his tube and plant himself in the sand as you can see here:

IMG_20180131_225531212

Thankfully he's right in front so I can watch him a lot!  The yellow one off to the right is still doing fine.  My new milli frag is not, I noticed yesterday it is receding badly. :(  I also added a halimeda frag from GCE, it's turning white in places for some reason.  I also added some dragon's breath which is tucked back on the right side.  So far so good and crossing my fingers lol.

I like the way this is looking!!

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

I like the way this is looking!!

Thanks Weetie!  Good to see ya around!  Hope you're doing well (and the tank too!)

Wow, with your frags mounted your jar is really lookin' good.  I am guessing that you are going for a paly/zoa mountain surrounded by a grassy meadow of gsp?  Its a cool idea.

I find halimeda to be that way, parts turn white, part grow algae, parts break off.  I just pinch off the appendages that I don't like the looks of and go from there.

• Like 1