Coral Vue Hydros

Lula Mae's "Jarden" of Enjoyment--dinos :(

Lula_Mae

43 minutes ago, Merthynia said:

Throw a whole egg in with the noodles while they cook, add frozen shrimp green beans and a small amount of corn. Once noodles are done, put it into a bowl with just a little of the remaining water to help mix in the seasoning and remove the shell from the egg (should be soft boiled). YUM!

That actually sounds really good.  I was wondering what frozen shrimp green beans were though...I though maybe really tiny green beans :lol:.  It's the end of the day, cut me some slack :wacko:.

• Haha 4
2 hours ago, kimberbee said:

@Lula_Mae and @Merthynia - I actually just like it plain, made in a microwave. You guys make your ramen fancy!! 

I mean, I eat it like that too!  I just like to dress it up sometimes lol.

57 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Are ramen noodles like Mr. Noodles? The packaged noodles with the packaged seasoning?

I had to google it but it looks like it is, Maruchan and Top Ramen are the main brands I see (I can't eat Top Ramen as it gives me raging headaches, weirdly enough-yay chemicals).  It's a small flat package and the dry noodles are crinkly and you can break them up and add to a pot of hot water (or cook in the microwave), boil for 3 minutes and add seasoning.  Can also find styrofoam cups where you add water, microwave and it makes a noodle soup.

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

I mean, I eat it like that too!  I just like to dress it up sometimes lol.

I had to google it but it looks like it is, Maruchan and Top Ramen are the main brands I see (I can't eat Top Ramen as it gives me raging headaches, weirdly enough-yay chemicals).  It's a small flat package and the dry noodles are crinkly and you can break them up and add to a pot of hot water (or cook in the microwave), boil for 3 minutes and add seasoning.  Can also find styrofoam cups where you add water, microwave and it makes a noodle soup.

You guys just talking about instant noodles? Lol I thought it was the fancy fresh Japanese ramen! I love both! I would eat it all the time, esp the instant noodle type! So good I'm hungry in bed!

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Orangutran said:

You guys just talking about instant noodles? Lol I thought it was the fancy fresh Japanese ramen! I love both! I would eat it all the time, esp the instant noodle type! So good I'm hungry in bed!

Haha I have never had real fresh Japanese ramen.  Only Japanese restaurants I've ever been to are the kind where they cook on the big griddle in front of you lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well I promised a post so here ya go!  After giving it a lot of thought, and knowing that I want to set up a bigger tank in the near future, I made the tough decision to retire the GSP garden for now.  I don't have the time or energy to maintain four tanks plus my freshwater tank (plus the clownfish's quarantine) and needed a place to put the jar so I elected to reuse most of the rock and sand from the GSP garden for my jar, and will probably continue the GSP theme in this jar, and if not, in the bigger tank when I get it up soon.  I'm sad about taking down the GSP garden as I think it's a fun, neat concept, but the tank had continual issues from the time I started adding livestock and it was stressing me out.  This jar is already happier (though I've still got some of that yucky hair algae, hopefully that phase will pass soon!) than the half-moon tank was, which makes me happy too. 

The other day I placed an order with LiveAquaria since I had a coupon that expired this month.  Stuff came and I transferred rock and well-rinsed sand from the basically empty GSP garden into the jar and added some gorgeous little inverts and a coral, and some of the corals intended for the GSP garden.  Unfortunately when I scaped, I neglected to note the line in the glass that's currently right in the front.  I'll have to shift things around so that the imperfection in the glass is on the side or back. :rolleyes: I've also switched the light to the 7w purplish light I had on my 5.5 for a while from Reef Radiance and it seems about perfect for this tank.  Still considering the blue and white ABI "50/50" bulb like seabass has but I also want to see how this one does and probably will not make any changes lol.  So far everything seems to be doing well although the inverts are pretty shy.  But here's what I've got.

An escaping nassarius.  Guess he doesn't like the new digs lol.

IMG_20171012_204809569_HDR

Top down shot showing the new inverts:

IMG_20171012_202539017

Side view with stuff still kinda mad:

IMG_20171012_203940170

More frontal shot.  If you look carefully you can see the distortion from the line in the glass running down the middle of the rocks.  The ginormous snail is supposed to be a scarlet hermit.  I'm pretty sure they sent me an empty shell again...

IMG_20171012_204023644_HDR

A porcelain crab and a pom pom crab with PINK poms!  Also a snail.

IMG_20171012_202137858

The pom pom's Diver's Den picture:

lg-1010171-048.jpg

This is the reason I placed the order.  I've been interested in trying one of these for a long time and they finally had one in a color I really liked so I snagged it.  Introducing...a crinoid squat lobster!

IMG_20171012_202156044

IMG_20171012_202337235_HDR

IMG_20171012_202320232

Here's his original glamour shot from LA:

image.jpeg.7dcef11662f21cc1242226d62a2954a7.jpeg

As you can see, he is quite tiny!  Barely an inch total with those long claw appendages.  He's taken up residence under the powerhead where of course I cannot photograph him lol.

Here they are in the tank the first night:

IMG_20171012_203924296

Both the pom pom and squat lobster in the naked botryocladia branches:

IMG_20171012_202526408

Squat lobster:

ATT00001(20)

I've since added one of my GSP frags from the main tank and it's open and happy.  I'm still figuring out my plans for the jar but it's already happier than the GSP garden was, except for the giant feather duster who I'll probably move into the big tank as he doesn't seem to love it in here.

View from my seat at the desk:

IMG_20171012_204127565_HDR

• Like 11
  • Wow 4
31 minutes ago, tashayar said:

I like the contrast that black sand gives everything.  Hmmm, you're giving me ideas!

It's Tahitian moon sand, I've loved it since I first joined the hobby (I saved up my pennies and bought a 20 lb bag for my first 5.5 lol). Be aware they're changing the product so what DFS and others have as "Tahitian moon sand" is not the dry product I've gotten before but a product sold in water.  Ugh.  I have seen the real stuff at Petsmart though.  Also, it is a fairly fine grained sand so that's something to bear in mind.

31 minutes ago, Boggers said:

Like what you have done so far.

I like my ramen with grilled chicken, some peas & carrots, with teriyaki sauce.

Thanks!  That sounds yummy.

I love how a thread about a reef jar turns into ramen recipes.  I :wub: N-R!

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

Unfortunately when I scaped, I neglected to note the line in the glass that's currently right in the front.

inorite?  You can't really see it until you have water in it and a light overhead.  I wish I would have known that before I drilled mine.  For me the line isn't right in front, but it's close enough. :( I'm contemplating drilling another one.

It's hard to take down a tank, but this one is looking great already.  Great start @Lula_Mae!

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

Haha I have never had real fresh Japanese ramen.  Only Japanese restaurants I've ever been to are the kind where they cook on the big griddle in front of you lol.

The Japanese restaurants where they cook in front are yummy!! Ramen restaurants are the rage here where I am. So good!

Really nice additions to your jar!! I have invert envy!

• Like 1

That squat lobster is way cool!!!!! 

You guys made me get up and go look for the "line".  I never even noticed it.  Mine ended up on the right side where there is pretty much nothing because of the shade from my ledge.  Thank god!  My typical luck would have been for it to be right in front, in view :lol:.

• Like 3
GunslingerGirl
11 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

Hibachi is great. A good ramen broth, though, that's heaven.

YOU"RE THE ONE WHO BOUGHT MY POM POMS!!! Lol Well I am glad they have a happy home! And now I get to watch them grow still. lol

I know nothing of squat lobsters... how big will he get? I assume he is invert safe?

• Like 2
42 minutes ago, GunslingerGirl said:

I know nothing of squat lobsters... how big will he get? I assume he is invert safe?

They're awesome.  But I would only recommend them for a pico because they stay so small.  I had one in a 40 gallon and barely saw it.  I eventually lost track of it.  However, it will  be a great addition to this jar!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
13 hours ago, seabass said:

inorite?  You can't really see it until you have water in it and a light overhead.  I wish I would have known that before I drilled mine.  For me the line isn't right in front, but it's close enough. :( I'm contemplating drilling another one.

It's hard to take down a tank, but this one is looking great already.  Great start @Lula_Mae!

Yeah I didn't notice it at all till the water was in lol.  Thanks!

8 hours ago, kimberbee said:

Squat lobster is so cute!! :wub:

Isn't he??  I wish he'd park himself in a more visible spot lol.

6 hours ago, vlangel said:

It looks wonderful Lula.  I love the inverts that you chose. Nice pics too.

Thanks, I want this to be an invert heavy tank as I think it's the perfect size for observing little critters.

5 hours ago, fishfreak0114 said:

The squat lobster is awesome!  Looking great already!  I feel so behind, I haven't even started a thread yet!

Doo eet!  You can at least get a thread started so you can talk about ramen and stuff! :lol:

5 hours ago, Orangutran said:

The Japanese restaurants where they cook in front are yummy!! Ramen restaurants are the rage here where I am. So good!

Really nice additions to your jar!! I have invert envy!

Yeah, I haven't been to one in a while!  Always enjoyed it though.  Thanks!

4 hours ago, gena said:

You guys made me get up and go look for the "line".  I never even noticed it.  Mine ended up on the right side where there is pretty much nothing because of the shade from my ledge.  Thank god!  My typical luck would have been for it to be right in front, in view :lol:.

Haha I'm glad yours isn't in the front!  Would be a big bummer!

4 hours ago, GunslingerGirl said:

Hibachi is great. A good ramen broth, though, that's heaven.

YOU"RE THE ONE WHO BOUGHT MY POM POMS!!! Lol Well I am glad they have a happy home! And now I get to watch them grow still. lol

Haha sorry!  I love the pink poms.  Squat lobsters only get a couple inches max and are supposed to be peaceful with all but their own kind (only one to a small tank as they will fight). 

4 hours ago, seabass said:

They're awesome.  But I would only recommend them for a pico because they stay so small.  I had one in a 40 gallon and barely saw it.  I eventually lost track of it.  However, it will  be a great addition to this jar!

How big did yours end up getting?  Was it truly reef-safe?  I'm hoping he'll come on out eventually so I can see him better!

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

How big did yours end up getting?  Was it truly reef-safe?  I'm hoping he'll come on out eventually so I can see him better!

Maybe over an inch.  I didn't notice any problems regarding reef-safeness.  Hopefully you'll see more of him.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, gena said:

My line is off to the side but now I am wishing I had put it on the painted side. O well, too late now.

• Like 2