Cultivated Reef

DCNano14 - complete tank reboot...whatcha think?

NanoRox

The tank is pretty much on auto pilot now.  I have elected to not make a water change this week (made one last week).  The water parameters are stable, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate are not detectable so I am not concerned with nutrient export.  I have been playing with my alk lately trying to keep it higher.  I am slowly increasing the alk over the course of a few weeks as seen in the attached report.  I have noticed, and I understand this is to be expected, but as I have increased my alk, the calcium and magnesium appear to be better utilized my the corals.  From day one my Ca and Mg have been off the charts high.  I am finally seeing them come down and have noticed improved coral growth.  I will continue to watch this and see if the trend continues.  

nano analytics.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Added my 3rd and final resident Thursday.  Meet Cloi...my new snow flake clownfish.  She has taken to the tank quite well BUT the Fire Fish has been hiding in his cave since Thursday.  He came out once that I have seen but has been MIA during the feeding times.  I know fire fish are very shy so hopefully he will come out soon.  Perhaps hunger will compel him.

The pic is a bit blurry...she never stands still.  

APC_0186.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

cant seem to figure out how to delete a post.   I tried to upload a clip of the tank but its always comes out blurry.  I will post again once I figure that out. 

WOOT!!!  I MADE 6 MONTHS SO FAR!!  everything seems to be doing pretty well.  I am including pics of all the corals and one full shot.  Please note the palys are NOT doing well and none I have ever tried do.  I just don't know what to do with them.  I have tried multiple locations and just no luck.  Let me know which corals you think look the best. 

acan 1.jpg

acan 2 plus plate.jpg

acan 4 and gsp.jpg

acan 5.jpg

blue polyp.jpg

candy cane.jpg

duncan and acan 3.jpg

euphylias.jpg

full tank.jpg

fungia.jpg

palys - yuck.jpg

pipe.jpg

riccordea.jpg

sps.jpg

zoas.jpg

10 minutes ago, DaveFason said:

Looking great. I would get rid of those blue cloves quick! They will over take the tank in no time. 

-Dave

but I really like them.  oddly they have not spread in 3 months.  the store said they were blue sympodium but others have told me that is not correct.  

• 1 month later...

I am a little late but here are my 7 month pics.  everything is doing great BUT I don't like the coralline algae on the back panel.  Unfortunately I don't have a great way to clean it.  I also realize my rockwork is a bit of a pile (was going for a cave) but I think I will just let the corals fill in and see what it looks like.  My next and larger tank will be more of a pillar in the center I think,  

tank 1 7mo.jpg

tank 2 7mo.jpg

tank 3 7mo-bright.jpg

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

Well I am coming up on 9  months.  some things look pretty good and some things I would like to see do better.  

I don't have any issues with problem algae and I have not made any water changes in two months.  I do "dose" via my ATO but that's about it.  I don't really care for the coralline algae on the back but its too hard to clean.  I will let it keep growing and see what it does,  At this point just making tweaks and letting things grow in. 

9mo tank1.jpg

9mo tank2.jpg

9mo tank3.jpg

9mo tank4.jpg

• Like 3
On ‎7‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 8:26 AM, DaveFason said:

Looks great! Still enjoying the light?

I am.  when I eventually upgrade to a larger tank (looking at Waterbox)  I will be using your lights again.  

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Could you show how you've plumbed in your chaeto reactor? I'm planning something similar on an IM 25 lagoon but I've not found many examples of people using chaeto reactors with AIOs where the reactor was kept under the tank inside the stand. I've seen a bunch where they are hanging off the back which is the last thing I want.

On 4/25/2018 at 2:16 PM, Duane Clark said:

but I really like them.  oddly they have not spread in 3 months.  the store said they were blue sympodium but others have told me that is not correct.  

I really don’t go out of my way to offer unsolicited advice. In my opinion, it’s your tank, do what you want. But I had to break my rule with blue clove polyps. I 100%  second @DaveFason on this. They are the worst, and I couldn’t hate them more. 

I had a single clove as a hitchhiker and it really did nothing for months then they started to spread, and while people gave similar advice, I was like “they can’t be that bad, I’ll just scrape them off.” Nope. They are the effing plague, once they start spreading they are like wildfire, and will take over. It’s crazy that they will encapsulate zoas. Of all my takes regrets, and they are many, they are tied for number one (with terrible rock scape; but BCP may force me to restart; double problem solved). Furthermore, they are damn near impossible to eradicate, because they are everywhere. In. Every. Single. Tiny. Crevice. 

Don’t do it. Don’t let them trick you. Or isolate them, preferably in the trash. Rant over. 

On ‎7‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 6:15 PM, Cannedfish said:

I really don’t go out of my way to offer unsolicited advice. In my opinion, it’s your tank, do what you want. But I had to break my rule with blue clove polyps. I 100%  second @DaveFason on this. They are the worst, and I couldn’t hate them more. 

I had a single clove as a hitchhiker and it really did nothing for months then they started to spread, and while people gave similar advice, I was like “they can’t be that bad, I’ll just scrape them off.” Nope. They are the effing plague, once they start spreading they are like wildfire, and will take over. It’s crazy that they will encapsulate zoas. Of all my takes regrets, and they are many, they are tied for number one (with terrible rock scape; but BCP may force me to restart; double problem solved). Furthermore, they are damn near impossible to eradicate, because they are everywhere. In. Every. Single. Tiny. Crevice. 

Don’t do it. Don’t let them trick you. Or isolate them, preferably in the trash. Rant over. 

Thanks Big Easy.  I really appreciate the heads up.  I will need to think about it...and believe me I will.  Thanks again!

On ‎7‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 5:59 PM, mipster said:

Could you show how you've plumbed in your chaeto reactor? I'm planning something similar on an IM 25 lagoon but I've not found many examples of people using chaeto reactors with AIOs where the reactor was kept under the tank inside the stand. I've seen a bunch where they are hanging off the back which is the last thing I want.

Sure.  Its not pretty so just warning you.  🙂  I am no plumber. lol.  I will take a couple pics and post here shortly. 

24 minutes ago, Duane Clark said:

Thanks Big Easy.  I really appreciate the heads up.  I will need to think about it...and believe me I will.  Thanks again!

I forgot to say otherwise, the tanks looking great!!

• Thanks 1

You asked what our favourite corals are in your tank; I've got to say Duncan for me. Looks big and happy and plenty of new growth. Tank looks wonderful all round

7 minutes ago, Patrick17 said:

You asked what our favourite corals are in your tank; I've got to say Duncan for me. Looks big and happy and plenty of new growth. Tank looks wonderful all round

Thanks Patrick.  I think I agree.  Although my Frogspawn is starting to really catch my eye.  🙂 

11 minutes ago, Duane Clark said:

Thanks Patrick.  I think I agree.  Although my Frogspawn is starting to really catch my eye.  🙂 

Euphyllia have that affect! Before you know it you'll be on the look out for gold torches and seeking out other interesting colours; your collection will grow... 

45 minutes ago, Patrick17 said:

Euphyllia have that affect! Before you know it you'll be on the look out for gold torches and seeking out other interesting colours; your collection will grow... 

Sadly I think I have run out of room.  I'm letting things grow in so not sure.  Think I can fit more in there? 

8 hours ago, Duane Clark said:

Sadly I think I have run out of room.  I'm letting things grow in so not sure.  Think I can fit more in there? 

There's always room for more 😉 Euphyllia pack a sting but if you chose carefully, some types are able to be placed close to others without any issues. Off the top of my head, I can't think of an example of a euphyllia garden on N-R but it is possible. 

Seriously though, I'm as impressed with you as I am with the tank if you have the self-control to let things grow for a while; many on this forum, myself included, always seem to be adding more - even when there really isn't much room. 

• Thanks 1