Top Shelf Aquatics

DCNano14 - complete tank reboot...whatcha think?

NanoRox

1 hour ago, Patrick17 said:

Check out @SURVEYMAN46123 nano for a nice collection of euphyllia kept close together, not that I'm trying to encourage you to get more... 

wow, that looks great.  and so close to his candy cane!   If I could fine something just right I would consider it. 

SURVEYMAN46123
2 hours ago, Duane Clark said:

wow, that looks great.  and so close to his candy cane!   If I could fine something just right I would consider it. 

Thanks, however my candy canes have suffered a few stings over the past months.   It’s probably not the best idea but I knew the risk.   

As far as putting certain corals next to each other it can be done with no issues.  I have three hammers and a frogspawn all touching each other with no problems.  I also have 2 torches next to each other.   However I’d never put the torches near the hammers or frogspawn.  

This has been a busy week for my little aquarium...a week of change.  One change was kind of planned while the other was spontaneous.  

The planned change was an upgrade to my waver pumps.  I posted on this in a separate post but essentially the Current USA pumps were totally under powered and not performing as expected.  They were too weak and just not providing the flow my corals needed, even with TWO pumps.  So, after posting about it and asking for recommendations, I settled on the Aqamai KPS pump.  I am happy to say it has met every expectation and then some.  Time will tell if they will continue to perform but as things stand now, I am blown away (pun intended).  

The second change was not planned but needed to be done.  Several months ago some of the rocks fell to the right a bit and were sitting against the glass.  In time, coralline algae grew on the glass around the rocks in a place I could not adequately clean.  So... like any good aquarist, I just ignored it.  Well, finally this week I had had enough and decided to move the rocks back up a bit.  One thing lead to another and I ended up redoing the entire right side of the tank.  I was able to keep the general placement of the corals the same but now the glass is completely open and free so I can clean it.  I am happy with it.  I thought at first  I messed everything up but it turned out great.  Acans in particular are very happy. I have attached a before and after pic.  

One other change or addition to my maintenance process.  My Ca slowly fell to sub 370 levels so I had to decide what to do about that.  Kalk alone was not keeping the Ca up so I decided to first dose Red Sea part A (Ca) to get the Ca back up to about 460 and am now adding 4 ml to the ATO when I refill it (about every 10 days) to keep up with the demand.  Tank is doing great with very stable parameters.  I am two weeks short of three months since my last water change.  

before-after.jpg

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

10 month anniversary.  Just a few update pics.  I sent another full water panel to ATI (doing them quarterly) so will be interested in results since I have not made a water change since the last test.  

10month1.jpg

10month2.jpg

10month3.jpg

• Like 3
On 8/27/2018 at 11:48 AM, Duane Clark said:

10 month anniversary.  Just a few update pics.  I sent another full water panel to ATI (doing them quarterly) so will be interested in results since I have not made a water change since the last test.  

10month1.jpg

10month2.jpg

10month3.jpg

Hi Duane, not sure how I missed your journal before... just looked through briefly due to time constraints this morning, looks great! I saw that you has some blue cloves in there before but I couldn’t see them in your recent pics... did you end up removing? I recently added some to my tank, knowing they are highly invasive, still wondering if I will live to regret it haha. 

55 minutes ago, banasophia said:

Hi Duane, not sure how I missed your journal before... just looked through briefly due to time constraints this morning, looks great! I saw that you has some blue cloves in there before but I couldn’t see them in your recent pics... did you end up removing? I recently added some to my tank, knowing they are highly invasive, still wondering if I will live to regret it haha. 

Ha, I still have them.  You can see them in one of the side tank shots.  I moved the rocks around and had to relocate them to a less prominent spot in the side. So far they have not spread one bit.  I really like them.  

1 hour ago, Duane Clark said:

Ha, I still have them.  You can see them in one of the side tank shots.  I moved the rocks around and had to relocate them to a less prominent spot in the side. So far they have not spread one bit.  I really like them.  

I like them too, but I know they actually spawn, so I’m ready for a blue clove explosion! 

50 minutes ago, banasophia said:

I like them too, but I know they actually spawn, so I’m ready for a blue clove explosion! 

I have noticed what appear to be 5 polyps on the opposite side of the tank.  Not sure how they got there but I am ok if they fill in the bare spots.  I’m just letting thing fill!  🙂 

11 hours ago, Duane Clark said:

I have noticed what appear to be 5 polyps on the opposite side of the tank.  Not sure how they got there but I am ok if they fill in the bare spots.  I’m just letting thing fill!  🙂 

Yeah, they can spawn and cover all of your rock, kind of like coralline, and can even grow over your sand. I like the look, hoping it will look nice in my tank and prevent my tank from getting covered in hydroids. But I worry it will turn out like the cane toads in Australia and I’ll have a tank full of blue cloves AND hydroids haha. Time will tell. 

34 minutes ago, DaveFason said:

You are doing a great job. I can't wait to see the acans grow into each other. It will really provide a wild array of colors. 

-D

Thanks Dave.  I’m looking forward to that myself.  Your light is running wonderfully so far.  

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

One year anniversary!  Happy Birthday little nano.  Today's pics.  One with a little photoshop fun trying to remove the background (I am no PS expert).

front-black.jpg

side1.jpg

side2.jpg

front.jpg

• Like 3
  • Wow 1
  • 2 months later...

It's been a long time since I updated this.  A lot of things have happened I will most likely post about later but for now...here is a pic of my complete tank reboot I did just last night.  Took me 4 hours but everyone seems to be happy.  looks like a completely different tank.  Very pleased with it. 

tank reboot.JPG

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
  • 1 year later...

Been a really long time since I updated my tank here.  Things seem to be doing pretty well but still, even after 2 years, patches of algae (hair) remain a problem.

Pictures speak louder than a thousand words so here is its current status

tank1.jpg

tank2.jpg

tank3.jpg

tank4.jpg

tank5.jpg

tank6.jpg

tank7.jpg

• Like 2