Cultivated Reef

DCNano14 - complete tank reboot...whatcha think?

NanoRox

Biocube 14

Livestock: 

Sexy Shrimp - 4

Emerald Crab

Firefish

Snow Flake Clown

Mandarin 

Filtration:

Pump - Cobolt Aquatics MJ900

Filter Basket by InTank

Filter Media - poly fill, charcoal

Chaeto reactor (Installed 1/27/18)

Water Maintenance:

Hydrofill ATO TI

Aquatic Life RO/DI refill and ATO water

Substrate:

20 lbs Gulf live sand from Gulfliverock

Live Rock:

17 lbs Premium live rock from Gulfliverock.com

Salt:

Fritz PRO RPM salt

Heater:

Cobolt Aquatics Neo-therm 50 watt

Additional Water Movement:

Aquamai KPS

Dosing:

Kalkwasser (3/4 tsp in 1 gallon ATO refilled weekly)

2.5 ml phytoplankton daily

Lighting:

Nano Box Mini M

lighting cycle:  **updated 1-6-18

Morning - start at 6:30, length - 150 minutes, morning ramp 90 minutes

Royal blue - 60%

White/lime - 5%

Violet - 70%

Cyan/blue - 60%

moonlight 0

Fan 86

Midday - ramp 90 minutes

Royal blue -85%

White/lime - 38%

Violet - 90%

Cyan/Blue - 80%

moonlight 0

Fan 86

Evening - length 180 minutes, evening ramp 90 minutes

Royal blue - 60%

White/lime - 15%

Violet - 60%

Cyan/blue - 55%

moonlight - 3

Fan 85

Night - start at 7:30, ramp 60 minutes

Royal blue - 4%

White/lime - 0%

Violet - 0%

Cyan/blue - 0%

moonlight -1

Fan 0

tank reboot.JPG

• Like 1
Reefaddiction

Welcome back to reefing! I'm a fellow 14g biocuber. It's a great little tank that you can do a lot with and be successful. 

I went with a MJ900 (maxijet) for my return pump.  It's Italian made I believe and has been a great pump. You can get it on amazon prime for less than $30.  

As  far as the protein skimmer... your probably right in thinking that  routine water changes will be sufficient. I actually just started a Cora life  protein skimmer for my bio cube yesterday… I thought it would be fun to give it a try, I'll have to let you know how it goes.   You were  hear a million different views on protein skimmers and nano tanks. It's likely not essential, But it has potential to provide some benefit.  

Good luck with the tank, let me know if you have any other questions or need opinions about anything else .

• Like 1
Nano sapiens

Wow, 20 years.  Lighting has been one of the biggest improvements and the Nano Tide should work out nicely.

Just like back-in-the-day, there are tech heavy tanks and those that run bare bones (my preference).  Skimmers on such a small tank can be used, but certainly not a necessity for success.  Ditto for mechanical/chemical filtration as 'natural filtration', regular water changes and maintenance (detritus removal) can get the job done.

Good luck!

• Like 1

Welcome again!  Seems like a great start!  I am sure a TON has changed in the last 20 years in terms of technology, but the fundamentals of reef keeping are still the same.  I can't wait to see what you put together.

I've had more "high tech" tanks and I have just decided to downgrade to a small, very simple tank after a brief break from the hobby.  With nano tanks, it is definitely possible to run them with very simple equipment and just maintain parameters through water changes.  I got an Innovative Marine all-in-one 14 gallon and am just running a media basket with filter pad, ChemiPure Blue, and Purigen for filtration.  I have the inTank media basket for my IM tank and I really like it.  They're nice quality baskets.

Nice choice on the light!  Nano Box makes some amazing lights and everyone who has them seems to love them!  I'm definitely a huge fan of the modern LED reef lighting.

• Like 2

Even though I don't have a nano tank, I am subscribed to this thread, while I continue to post on another thread you started on live rock.

When I said that diver collected aquaculture live rock was difficult in winter, it was in reference to weather conditions effecting diving.  They collect in the winter, depending on weather.

Ken Felderman has written peer reviewed papers on DOC removal in reef tanks.  His research was centered around the effects of carbon dosing on reef tanks with special emphasis on different bacteria populations.

His research data showed that, at best, skimmers removed 30-40% of DOC, GAC removed 50-60% and the inhabitants of a mature reef tank removed 75% of DOC.

While I have not published any articles, I have been reefing since 1971.  In fact, PaulB and I started tanks the same year.  We were also in the same jungles during Vietnam.  For as long as I have been doing this hobby, I have never seen more beautiful rock than comes from Gulf Live Rock.  Because I like running natural systems, I use uncured live rock.  I cherish the diversity that comes from a living reef.  Yes it sometimes has pest like Aptasia and sometimes removal techniques are required, but that is reefing.  If nothing else is in your tank, I would use dry Caribbean Special grade aroggonite and cover bottom with <1" of substrate.  This will provide for a diversity of worms and nitrification bacteria.  Put uncured live rock and cure in tank without lights on.  Do not stack up rock but allow max circulation across rock.  Perhaps use an air stone to keep up with oxygen demand.  Have several buckets of premixed salt water for required water changes to prevent amonia and nitrite from poisoning tank inhabitants.  If you want diversity like tunicates, sea squirts,  colorful bryzoans, Christmas tree worms, gorgonians, feather dusters, and soft and hard corals this is your rock.

I have been struggling to post pictures with my Windows 10 laptop, so I gave myself an early  Christmas present and bought this 5th generation iPad.  On Thursday I receive 15 pounds of uncured live Rob for a nano tank and will hopefully post pictures.

Looks like picture posting is simple.  I did not clean outside of glass.  The tank on top is 75G Jaubert Plenumn with a 30 gallon mud & macro refugium, originally, but now it is a cryptic sponge refugium.

image.jpg

Great advice on the live rock.  Since there is nothing else in the tank I will go with the uncured and see how it goes.  I will have water on hand for water changes and just watch it closely.  Waiting for some ordered equipment to arrive so should have the tank set up mechanically within a week will go ahead and order the live rock.  I was going to order live sand as well but it sounds like you are recommending to NOT do both live sand and live rock? 

Thanks for all the info.  I really appreciate it.

• Like 2

Just a quick update that I have ordered a Current USA eFlux wave pump kit.  Paid a bit more than the wave pump I was looking at but I am excited about it based on all the reviews I have read.  Only item I need now is a heater.  I was not going to install a heater but decided to be safe and get one.   Any recommendations for a heater I can install in the back chamber of the Biocube 14?

Here is a link to the unit I purchased:

https://www.amazon.com/Current-USA-6000-eFlux-Wave/dp/B01M8L2YF2

Live sand from one these Florida live rock venders would be an insurance of more diversity.  I would also recommend  Gulf Coast Ecosystem for live sand as well as a great macro selection of both decorative (Red Grapes) and utilitarian (Grape Caulerpa). They also have very nice gorgonions that are both photosynthetic and NPS.  Wait on the gorgonions until after tank cycle.  They may well come in on your live rock.  However, consider using macro in your tank to uptake ammonia directly during the cycle.  If you consider Red Grapes, wait until after cycle and dedicated a lower light level spot.  It is collected between  60-100'.  Not real bright at that depth.  I would recommend grape caulerpa.  It's holdfast are easily removed from rock.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Subsea said:

Live sand from one these Florida live rock venders would be an insurance of more diversity.  I would also recommend  Gulf Coast Ecosystem for live sand as well as a great macro selection of both decorative (Red Grapes) and utilitarian (Grape Caulerpa). They also have very nice gorgonions that are both photosynthetic and NPS.  Wait on the gorgonions until after tank cycle.  They may well come in on your live rock.  However, consider using macro in your tank to uptake ammonia directly during the cycle.  If you consider Red Grapes, wait until after cycle and dedicated a lower light level spot.  It is collected between  60-100'.  Not real bright at that depth.  I would recommend grape caulerpa.  It's holdfast are easily removed from rock.

I am considering doing a refugium once the tank cycles.  This is good info.  Thanks!

thanks for the heater recommendation Reefaddiction.  This can be placed in the back filter chambers of the Biocube 14?

Reefaddiction
25 minutes ago, Duane Clark said:

I am considering doing a refugium once the tank cycles.  This is good info.  Thanks!

thanks for the heater recommendation Reefaddiction.  This can be placed in the back filter chambers of the Biocube 14?

It sure can. It's a nice thin design that comes with a brace that has suction cups in which the heater sits. Setting the temp is extremely easy, as the temp settings are just selected as opposed to the old dial heaters where you have to make adjustments until your at the correct temperature. I had mine in the first compartment until recently when I placed a protein skimmer there. Now it's in compartment three just above my return pump. Works great.

• Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, Reefaddiction said:

It sure can. It's a nice thin design that comes with a brace that has suction cups in which the heater sits. Setting the temp is extremely easy, as the temp settings are just selected as opposed to the old dial heaters where you have to make adjustments until your at the correct temperature. I had mine in the first compartment until recently when I placed a protein skimmer there. Now it's in compartment three just above my return pump. Works great.

ok, ordered.  now I just wait.  :-)

SALT

Since its been 20 years I have lost touch on salt brands.  I know everyone has their favorite so I wont ask "what's the best" etc but I used to be partial to Red Sea brand salt.  is this still considered a reputable brand?

Reefaddiction

Haha your opening up Pandora's box. 

I use coral pro salt... its a great salt, has all the trace elements you need and I've been successful so far with it. It is more expensive than reef crystals, instant ocean etc... but with such a small tank I think it's affordable. 

I'm sure others will have their own personal preference and experience... this is just mine. Good luck. 

• Thanks 1
18 minutes ago, Reefaddiction said:

Haha your opening up Pandora's box. 

I use coral pro salt... its a great salt, has all the trace elements you need and I've been successful so far with it. It is more expensive than reef crystals, instant ocean etc... but with such a small tank I think it's affordable. 

I'm sure others will have their own personal preference and experience... this is just mine. Good luck. 

I was reading about a brand named Fritz...never heard of it but everyone who uses it seems to like it also.

On 10/5/2017 at 9:47 AM, Duane Clark said:

SALT

Since its been 20 years I have lost touch on salt brands.  I know everyone has their favorite so I wont ask "what's the best" etc but I used to be partial to Red Sea brand salt.  is this still considered a reputable brand?

:welcome: to Nano-Reef!  The hobby has changed a lot in the 9 years I've been in it so I can only imagine after 20!  Red Sea is considered a reputable brand, though I think a few members have had wonky numbers lately (I think with the coral pro version); if you're only doing softies you may be fine with the regular "blue bucket" version.  I've been using AquaForest Sea Salt (they have three salt versions lol) and like it for my mostly softy and LPS tank.  I have heard good things about the Fritz salt.  I'd recommend either just buying something to try (my method lol) or figuring out your target parameters and looking for a salt that mixes close to that.  The Biocubes are good little tanks for getting started especially.  I don't know if it will fit (having never seen the chambers of one) but a heater many use is the Cobalt Neotherm.

• Like 1

Just a quick update.  I edited the first entry to show the equipment I have added.  Tank is dry so only thing left now is to receive the light (already ordered) purchase salt, testing kit, filter media etc. and then I am ready to purchase the rock.  Nothing exciting to look at but I am including a pic just to catalog my progress.

59dbfdded286f_nanosetup.thumb.jpg.315f49c58c9aedc664b068d69129b9af.jpg

• Like 1

Everything is ready to go.  Still waiting for the light which should arrive later this week.  I have read conflicting opinions on whether or not to keep lights on or off when introducing uncured rock.  so...what is the prevailing wisdom here?  If I don't need them right away...I'm ordering the rock today.

The waiting is killing me.  The light will arrive this Saturday, which is fine but Gulf Liverock is out of live sand so they cant dive until this weekend (I want the sand delivered with the rock).  I am out of town half the week so cant take delivery until Friday next week...ugh...all dressed up and nowhere to go.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Duane Clark said:

The waiting is killing me.  The light will arrive this Saturday, which is fine but Gulf Liverock is out of live sand so they cant dive until this weekend (I want the sand delivered with the rock).  I am out of town half the week so cant take delivery until Friday next week...ugh...all dressed up and nowhere to go.

You will be happy with Gulf live rock.  This is some of the delux premium rock at $5/lb with air freight COD at $1/lb.

The second picture are three delux nano pieces with a large 20” gorgonions.  This is some gorgeous rock.

image.jpg

image.jpg

OK, the Nanobox light is set up.  playing with the settings and have set the daylight cycle up like dave recommended.  Not sure if those settings should change for morning or evening though.  Also having a problem finding locations to simulate.  Every time I type in "Fiji" or "Hawaii" etc, nothing comes up.  Bulgaria, Iraq, and other popular vacation spots abound however (sarcasm).  Anyway, running through some cycles just to see how it looks.  seems way too blue to me for a daylight cycle if you ask me.  Anyway, here is the setup so far.  still no water.  Live rock comes in Friday.  (mixing water and going to store in two 5 gallon buckets as well).

lights.jpg