Cultivated Reef

46 minutes ago, fishfreak0114 said:

I really like the new scape!  That coco worm tube was smart, I've been having a hard time keeping my airline down as well.  

I like it too.  I can't wait til the jar cycles so I can mount the coral on the rock work.

Yeah, all the bubbles from the airstone naturally want to lift the tubing up.  I was pretty excited when I thought of using the worm tube.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear about the setback, but I love the new scape.  The idea to use the coco worm tube was so creative.  It looks great!  I can't wait to see this full of a bunch of corals and shrimp!

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Felicia said:

Sorry to hear about the setback, but I love the new scape.  The idea to use the coco worm tube was so creative.  It looks great!  I can't wait to see this full of a bunch of corals and shrimp!

Thanks Felicia.  I am in SC with grandchildren for a week but will be home Wednesday afternoon.  I hope to find the tank mostly cycled so that I can move coral into it then.  I am really excited to take that next step. ?

• Like 3

The water in the shrimp chalet looked very clear so I basically assumed that it was mostly cycled (maybe not the smartest move but I did it anyway).  Last night I did 100% WC and moved the coral and macro algae in.  This morning everything looked great.  I am much happier with this sloped aquascape.  The pump and the open airline tube are discreet for a cleaner look.  I will try and take some pics tonight.

• Like 3
9 hours ago, pj86 said:

Your reef container is looking really good! :)

Thanks pj, I am pleased so far.  Now the trick will be to keep the jar looking good and getting the coral to grow?.

20171106_133436

I did a WC last night after feeding heavy twice in half a week. I figured the coral were probably a bit starved since I was away a week.  The coral looked quite good this afternoon when the lights came on.

• Like 4
20171106_133415

Here is a higher up view.  I am still waiting for the encrusting gorg to open.  Its under the xenia in the pic.  It wasnt doing well in the seahorse tank either so I have nothing to lose.

• Like 4

O20171106_133342

The blastos were also suffering in the pony tank so I am hoping that they will recover their former glory in the pico.  The kenya tree opened up nicely.  They are ordinary but I still love them.

It is my vision to have a colorful acan garden in this pico.  These 2 have got me off to a good start.

20171106_133319

O yeah, in the last 2 pics you can see my cheato off to the right.  I am hoping it brougnt with it some pods for seeding the pico for more cuc in a natural way.  My airline tube is down in the cheato to hopefully blow detritus out of the macro algae and on to the jar floor.

• Like 4

Last night I decided that all the coral should be on the rockwork so that maintenance will be easier.  That meant finding spots for the 3 coral that were on the bottom of the jar.  The blue clove polyps were on a big piece of rock that I knew had bubble algae so I decided that chipping a smaller piece off was the way to go.  Especially since blue clove polyps spread easy.  The photosythetic sponge was also sizable but I like it the way it is so I just looked for a bigger spot near the bottom of the rock.  I have found that that sponge is a pretty fast grower and I dont want it shading other coral.  Finally I needed a spot for the orange encrusting coral that a reefer friend gave me.

I was glad when I finished that there is still room for a few more coral as I would really like a duncan, a hammer and or frogspawn and a sun coral.  When I acquire those I will probably glue everything in its place and mostly just let the jar grow and mature.

• Like 4
20 minutes ago, seabass said:

Wow, that's a lot of coral, but it looks awesome!  My jar will probably have just three coral frags.

I wanted more places to put coral but it was kind of a happy accident that my rockwork slopes.  I did intentionally choose rock with holes and crevises for coral placement.  

At present I have 3 different gorgs, 1 mushroom, 1 xenia frag, 1 encrusting coral, 1 blue clove polyp frag that may have 2 tiny yellow sponges, 1 yellow polyp frag, 2 different acan frags, 1 zoa frag, 2 different palys, 2 blastos, 1 kenya tree and finally the photosynthetic purple sponge.  So with the 3-4 more coral that I would like to add my jar should have approximately 20 - 22 coral along with macro algae.  Who would have thought that so many coral could fit in a 3 gallon jar?  Of course none of them will be able to grow large and it is my hope that they will get along and grow into one another.

• Like 2
  • Wow 1

So I have been looking on the internet for ideas on inverts for my Pico jar.  Does anyone know if opae ula Hawaiian red shrimp are reef safe?  I know that they are a hardy little shrimp and long lived.  Maybe they are hardy because they will eat anything :-(.

6 minutes ago, seabass said:

Aren't they the tiny shrimp in those EcoSpheres?  I imagine they would be fine (given no predators).  But IDK, maybe even LPS could eat them.

They are the tiny shrimp in the EcoSpheres.  It seems like they should be ok because they can live on just algae in volcanic caves.  I just don't know if that is all they eat.

22 hours ago, vlangel said:

They are the tiny shrimp in the EcoSpheres.  It seems like they should be ok because they can live on just algae in volcanic caves.  I just don't know if that is all they eat.

Never tried  opae ula Hawaiian red shrimp, but I do know they are brackish shrimp. I did a lot of research on them about 4 years ago. 

• Like 2