Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

11 minutes ago, tanacharison said:

The pico and the 5.5 look great! Now I want a small macro tank. :lol:

Ha ha, thats the problem with looking at other folks tanks, it always makes us want something else!  Thanks for the kind words.  Your tower jar is pretty sweet too!  I was kind of wishing that I had used magnet rocks like you.  This contest has certainly broadened all of our minds to the many possibilities of a small pico!

tanacharison
3 minutes ago, vlangel said:

Ha ha, thats the problem with looking at other folks tanks, it always makes us want something else!  Thanks for the kind words.  Your tower jar is pretty sweet too!  I was kind of wishing that I had used magnet rocks like you.  This contest has certainly broadened all of our minds to the many possibilities of a small pico!

The magnet rocks do make it easy to take out one branch and clean off any algae. I'm already considering doing another pico ;)

• Like 2
1 hour ago, tanacharison said:

I'm really sad Adam is selling the store! Hopefully someone good takes over.

Yes, I also feel bad about that.  He had some pretty nice coral at a reasonable price. 

I belong to the 3 Rivers Marine Aquarium Society and that meets at Elmer's in Monroeville.  Saturday from 5 -8 pm is their coral fragging workshop and they will be raffleing off frags for $1.  I am not sure what area of Pittsburgh you live but for $30 you can have a years membership and be a part of the club.  ( You can go a while without being a member but you can not buy the raffle tickets).  They meet generally the 3rd Saturday of every month, (well except this month because of St Patrick's day).  I am actually speaking next month on Seahorses in Aquaria, not that that is a reason to come, LOL.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, vlangel said:

This contest has certainly broadened all of our minds to the many possibilities of a small pico!

Who would have though sps can flourish in a tank with 5gph circulation. 

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, JBM said:

Who would have though sps can flourish in a tank with 5gph circulation. 

Definitely not me, thats for sure.  Also who would have thought that you could spend 30 minutes a week on maintenance and have a fascinating reef with just about any kind of coral with no testing, dosing or high tech equipment?  All your money can go into very nice coral instead of expensive aquarium equipment.  It's just so amazing to me.

Just now, vlangel said:

no testing, dosing or high tech equipment?  It's just so amazing to me.

Testing? What is that? You mean those 5 in 1 strips?   ? 

Truth be told, the answer always was. And always will be Keep it simple. 

• Like 1
tanacharison
26 minutes ago, vlangel said:

Yes, I also feel bad about that.  He had some pretty nice coral at a reasonable price. 

I belong to the 3 Rivers Marine Aquarium Society and that meets at Elmer's in Monroeville.  Saturday from 5 -8 pm is their coral fragging workshop and they will be raffleing off frags for $1.  I am not sure what area of Pittsburgh you live but for $30 you can have a years membership and be a part of the club.  ( You can go a while without being a member but you can not buy the raffle tickets).  They meet generally the 3rd Saturday of every month, (well except this month because of St Patrick's day).  I am actually speaking next month on Seahorses in Aquaria, not that that is a reason to come, LOL.

I'm in the heart of the city, squirrel hill. If I get this new tank running I'll definitely come. I joined the FB group a few weeks ago.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, JBM said:

Testing? What is that? You mean those 5 in 1 strips?   ? 

Truth be told, the answer always was. And always will be Keep it simple. 

Amen to that!  Hey, I use those 5 in 1 strips for the seahorse tank, ha ha!

1 hour ago, tanacharison said:

I'm in the heart of the city, squirrel hill. If I get this new tank running I'll definitely come. I joined the FB group a few weeks ago.

Cool, it will be neat to meet you in person.  My middle son lives in Lawrenceville.

fishfreak0114

Absolutely stunning finish!!!  I love the fluffy gorg poking out near the top. You’ve done great, are you glad you joined the contest?

• Like 1
6 hours ago, fishfreak0114 said:

Absolutely stunning finish!!!  I love the fluffy gorg poking out near the top. You’ve done great, are you glad you joined the contest?

Thanks fishfreak!  Yeah, I like that gorg too.  I am really glad that I joined the contest.  I followed Natalia's first reef bowl and was astounded at its beauty.  Even though she said that it was easy, I am not sure that I believed her before the contest.  My eyes have been opened to the possibilities of a pico jar.

• Like 1

Well, I have come to a decision.  I hate to do this but I am taking Whiplash back to the lfs. ? He is much more aggressive than I thought and I am afraid to put anything in his tank with him.  I am not maintaining a tank just for him.  At least I have fattened him up nicely before he goes.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

That's a great video! And I'm so glad Cheerleader is back. It cracks me up to see a pom pom waving a little bit of euphyllia :lol:

I had no idea you had so many feeder shrimp in there. I would not have expected that many critter that poop to do well in a jar even with 100% water changes. We are learning so much in this contest!

• Like 2
4 hours ago, teenyreef said:

That's a great video! And I'm so glad Cheerleader is back. It cracks me up to see a pom pom waving a little bit of euphyllia :lol:

I had no idea you had so many feeder shrimp in there. I would not have expected that many critter that poop to do well in a jar even with 100% water changes. We are learning so much in this contest!

Thanks teeny!

From keeping feeder shrimp in the 5.5 gallon with a little rock and half a tank of water I knew the jar could hold 100-150 shrimp if I wanted.  They don't need much water or space but they do need good oxygenation which is why I have an open airline built in.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, tanacharison said:

That’s a lot of shrimp! It was nice meeting you at 3RMS... did you get any more frags?

Thanks tana, likewise I was pleased to meet you as well.  I went home with 2 frags.  Ivan let me have the pick of his frags since I gave him Whiplash, (who btw should be very happy because Ivan has a large reef with lots of rock and sand).  Both frags are doing well.

• Like 2