Cultivated Reef

20171005_161752

Of course that means my cycle will be slower than when I was going to use live rock.  Scaping around the mini fuge was tricky however and to try to epoxy wet rock was going to be more difficult.  Since I am getting in on the contest early, its no big deal.  At least these rocks won't be full of bubble algae!

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
7 minutes ago, ThePaontedFrogfish said:

i cant scape in a 30, but you can do it in a jar <_< looks great tho!

I am ok with it but I think when the mini fuge has macro algae in it the scape will come together better.  The rock is close to the sides but thats what is good with only 3 pieces of rock and a bb bottom.  I can slide it around to clean.

• Like 3
7 minutes ago, ThePaontedFrogfish said:

i cant scape in a 30, but you can do it in a jar <_< looks great tho!

I am ok with it but I think when the mini fuge has macro algae in it the scape will come together better.  The rock is close to the sides but thats what is good with only 3 pieces of rock and a bb bottom.  I can slide it around to clean.

10 minutes ago, RIP Sebastian said:

I am always so impressed by people that have artistic talents like you do. It looks so awesome!

This is not so much talent as learning a trick from going to the art institute.  You could do it too and I'd be happy to show you if you ever want to try.  Thank you for the kind words.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, vlangel said:

20171005_160137

I am so happy with the modular rock idea in the seahorse tank that I epoxied pieces of dry rock together.  Now these 3 pieces will form the scape around the mini fuge.

This is so awesome! :wub: For cycling--could you put one or more of the pieces in your sump to seed it?

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

This is so awesome! :wub: For cycling--could you put one or more of the pieces in your sump to seed it?

Thanks Lula, The pieces in my sump are too big but I did find a small piece from the pod culture that I just took down.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, vlangel said:

Thanks Lula, The pieces in my sump are too big but I did find a small piece from the pod culture that I just took down.

I think she's saying move these rocks into your sump till they become "livestock"

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Coral_chef said:

I think she's saying move these rocks into your sump till they become "livestock"

O, you are right...I think that is what she means. Thank you both, I could do that!

• Like 1

I hope I don't end up with 2 of these rather unexciting 15 second videos of flow, ha ha!  The 1st one disappeared.  

Anyway, I think the rio will be enough flow for the coral I am looking to keep.  The light that is on for the video is only temporary so you could see.  My LED par bulb is ordered.

• Like 9

I switched out 1 rock for a pc of LR from my sump.  Hopefully I am not getting too much rock in this tank but I already know that I am not doing a wall to wall coral pico since there needs to be room for the shrimp.

My tank is a little cloudy today but I am not surprised.  I did not rinse the dry rock and it probably had dead matter in it which will help start the cycle.  I will have to clean it out well once the cycle is finished so I don't end up with too much nutrients and algae.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, seabass said:

Anchor Hocking club member following along.  Wow! I feel like everyone is doing such a great job.  Awesome start!

Thanks seabass.  My tank will be similar to yours in that it will look like a regular reef tank, plus I am adding macro algae too.

• Like 1

Yesterday my water in the pico had some fishy odor to it but today it is much better which leads to believe the live rock is already kick starting the cycle.

• Like 7

Just for grins I tested ammonia, which I was happy to see that there was some. About 1 ppm and a test in another couple days will give me a clue where I am at in the cycle, whether its going up or down.

• Like 3

I had been lazy and just had a powerstrip (for the 2 powerheads in the seahorse tank) laying on the end table.  Also the air pump for an open airline in the seahorse tank sat on that end table with the painted seahorse rock and the blown glass fish.  Now that I am setting up a pico that is suppose to be attractive, I decided I needed to tidy things up a bit.  I hung the powerstrip at the back of the stand for the seahorse tank.  I put the air pump in the first drawer of the end table and ran the cord and airline tubing through a hole in the side of the end table.  Now the focus can be on the pico instead of the clutter.

• Like 6
Just now, Sharbuckle said:

Whoa yours is running already? I better step my game up 

Don't worry, its not who gets there the fastest, its who gets there the bestest, (is that a word?) in creativity, and overall results.  I just figured since I am cycling some dry rock along with 1 pc of LR that I should get to it.  Cycles are always a mystery as to how long they will take. ?

• Like 5

So my hubby who does my ebay shopping for me, told me that my LED bulb is as far as Ohio, (I am in PA) so I should get it this week.  That will be the last of my equipment and maybe my cycle will be far enough along to add coral after it arrives.  I am excited!

• Like 7

I tested my ammonia again today and am pleasantly surprised to see that it is down to .125 ppm and nitrates have jumped up so I would say that the cycle is almost done.  That was fast considering 2/3rd of the rock was dry, dead rock.  I am sure the seachem stability helped. 

When my LED par bulb arrives I will set it up on a timer.  Then I will do a 100% water change from the seahorse tank. I will scrape the glass of the seahorse tank just prior to hopefully put some of the copepods I have into the water column to be syphoned out and into the reef jar.  I will also add my macro algaes which should also have life in them in an attempt to seed this jar with micro beneficial creatures before I begin stocking with coral.

• Like 4

Dawn, your jar is coming along nicely!! Is yours the 1 gallon size? I think I picked up the same one as yours if it's 1gal, I returned the .75gal version (with the metal lid), so I will need to repost my empty jar with condiment shot! The extra quart (and extra height) is needed, because I am going to have 1-2 inch of sand, for my masterplan! muahahahaha!

Btw, which bulb did you order? :) 

• Haha 2
  • Thanks 1