Coral Vue Hydros

Ha ha, the 5.5 AIO almost does not qualify as a shrimp chalet anymore.  The 6 ghosties that are in it kept stealing food from my new RFA and the sun coral.  Needless to say, they got an upgrade into the seahorse tank.  There is still 1 or 2  in there but That is manageable.  The sun coral is very slightly beginning to open.  The RFA is doing well as are the coral from the CC contest.

• Like 5

I still have not got the sun coral to open more than just a little.  I try squirting it with microvert first to encourage it.  Then I  try mysis but have had no success with that thus far.

The RFA on the other hand is doing really well.  I love it and would not mind trying a few more in the future.

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, vlangel said:

The RFA on the other hand is doing really well.  I love it and would not mind trying a few more in the future.

More more more!! But you already knew I would say that!

• Like 2
45 minutes ago, vlangel said:

I still have not got the sun coral to open more than just a little.  I try squirting it with microvert first to encourage it.  Then I  try mysis but have had no success with that thus far.

I had challenges with my sun coral too, at first. Feed it the same time every day with something very fine. It helps a lot to leave the pumps off and let the food sit on top of it for five or ten minutes even if it doesn't open up. If it does open up, feed it more (but you know that already).

I've had to do that for as many of four or five days before it starts opening up. And if it doesn't get well fed for more than 5-7 days, it will close back up and you have to get it back open again.

• Like 2

You can also cut a soda bottle in half to place over it while you feed and let it soak longer. It let's you have the pumps back on quicker.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, el_ote said:

You can also cut a soda bottle in half to place over it while you feed and let it soak longer. It let's you have the pumps back on quicker.

This is a great idea if the corals are out in the open, but how do you use this method for sun corals that are tucked up under the rocks? I tried sun corals once and could not keep them alive, and I'm guessing its because i couldn't feed them properly.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, SeaFurn said:

More more more!! But you already knew I would say that!

Ha ha! Yes I did know you would say that. 😆

11 hours ago, teenyreef said:

I had challenges with my sun coral too, at first. Feed it the same time every day with something very fine. It helps a lot to leave the pumps off and let the food sit on top of it for five or ten minutes even if it doesn't open up. If it does open up, feed it more (but you know that already).

I've had to do that for as many of four or five days before it starts opening up. And if it doesn't get well fed for more than 5-7 days, it will close back up and you have to get it back open again.

That is what I do teeny and I have even left the pump off for an hour since there are no fish in that tank.  I do try to feed it the same time every day give an hour here or there.

10 hours ago, el_ote said:

I have heard that trick and I actually have a soda bottle top already as part of my fish catching trap.  I think I will give that a try.  Thanks for the reminder.

• Like 3
On 5/27/2018 at 5:39 PM, vlangel said:

2018-05-27_08-37-26

The new coral are on the sand.

This looks amazing :wub:.  Is this part of the pico jar??????  I'm so behind :blush:.

• Like 1
19 hours ago, gena said:

This looks amazing :wub:.  Is this part of the pico jar??????  I'm so behind :blush:.

Thanks gena, yep this is the pico jar.  I just took the rock, coral and all and moved it into the 5.5 aio that I made myself.  I recently added the sun coral and the RFA.  The sun coral is slow to respond but opens a little when I squirt microvert in its area.  The RFA is doing great.  I only have a couple ghostie shrimp, a small hermit and the pom pom crab in it.  Like your tank ( which is gourgeous BTW) there are no fish and its very easy to care for.  I enjoy it a lot since it gives me the chance to keep some of my favorite coral that are not seahorse safe, frogspawn, hammer, and RFAs.  The acans, trumpets and blastos get to eat leftover mysis from the seahorses and they love it.  

• Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...

2018-07-01_08-42-38

A top done view and long overdue update.  This little tank has had very little maintenance but is doing great.  I really like how easy it is to care for.

2018-07-01_08-43-28

FTS July 2018

• Like 8
Lorekeeper
2 minutes ago, vlangel said:

2018-07-01_08-42-38

A top done view and long overdue update.  This little tank has had very little maintenance but is doing great.  I really like how easy it is to care for.

Looks fantastic! Loving the diversity.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Lorekeeper said:

Looks fantastic! Loving the diversity.

Thank you.  I was surprised how much can be packed into a small tank.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, JBM said:

keep up the excellent work

I wish I could say that I was working hard to maintain this tank but that just is not the truth.  This tank gets fed the mysis the seahorses do not eat and a 95% water change every 2 or 3 weeks.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, seabass said:

Very nice Dawn!  I like it a lot.

Thanks seabass!  I feel like it's improving as the coral grow and the tank matures.

7 minutes ago, Lorekeeper said:

Love it!

Thanks Lorekeeper, I love it too.

• Like 1

In the video you can see the resident shrimp who live here along with pods in the built in fuge, and the blue legged hermit.  There are still no fish but I am thinking about it.

• Like 7
2 hours ago, vlangel said:

In the video you can see the resident shrimp who live here along with pods in the built in fuge, and the blue legged hermit.  There are still no fish but I am thinking about it.

Loooking fantastic! So healthy, great work!! 🙂

• Like 1
13 hours ago, TheRope said:

Loooking fantastic! So healthy, great work!! 🙂

Thanks TheRope.  I never dreamed how enjoyable this little tank was going to be.  It lets me have a lot of coral that I love, but are not seahorse safe and its really easy.  I guess I kind of lucked into a good balance of feeding and biological life that has the tank flourishing.

• Like 2
On 7/13/2018 at 7:34 PM, tanacharison said:

Still loving this tank! Looks like you hit the sweet spot with feeding. The colors in the video look amazing. 

I feel like this tank is way too blue with the Coral Compulsion bulb but I am too cheap to add something with more white in it.  I think I have hit the sweet spot with feedings and WCs.  Seems like I have a good balance right now.

• Like 4
  • 2 weeks later...

I did a 100% WC today and stirred the sandbed.  Everything looks fine in this tank.  I love watching all size amphipods crawl all over.  The tank is full of them.  The 2 ghosties are doing quite well.  I really do not know how long they live in higher salinities but these 2 must be close to 4-6 months old or more.

The coral are beginning to get large enough to infringe on each other's space but so far nothing is obliterating any of their neighbors.  I hope I can keep it that way.

• Like 2