inTank Media Baskets

5 hours ago, Clown79 said:

Very nice! It's so full.

I have 2 pom pom's in my jar. They stay on opposite sides, mostly hiding in their rock homes.

I did witness a little tiff between the 2 but it amounted to one scurrying back to his area.

Thanks Clown.  I really miss my pom pom and the red fiddler too.  I am just afraid of adding anymore creatures like that to the jar.  Target feeding is hard with so much rock and coral.  I will reconsider when I move everything into the 5.5 AIO.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, vlangel said:

Thanks Clown.  I really miss my pom pom and the red fiddler too.  I am just afraid of adding anymore creatures like that to the jar.  Target feeding is hard with so much rock and coral.  I will reconsider when I move everything into the 5.5 AIO.

I have never target fed my porcelain. He was the first invert in the jar. They just sift through the water column with their nets :3

• Like 1
1 hour ago, TheRope said:

I have never target fed my porcelain. He was the first invert in the jar. They just sift through the water column with their nets :3

Maybe I should look into a porcelain when I am ready.  Although I know others have successfully kept pom poms too.  I got both from a lfs and perhaps that is the problem.  If I order fish from KPA, I could also get some neat inverts then.

• Like 1
On 2/13/2018 at 1:38 PM, vlangel said:

I was watching your video (which is great BTW), and I saw a mermaid in the background with coral flowers in her flowing hair.  Do you she her?  Watch the video for her.

face.jpg.0b0e54bf22b8ddcb8be144bfac2e2538.jpg

• Like 5

Ha ha, that is so cool.  No, I had not seen her and probably would have continued to miss her had you not colored her hair and flowers.  Thanks seabass for finding her and pointing her out to the rest of us!

1 hour ago, seabass said:

I was watching your video (which is great BTW), and I saw a mermaid in the background with coral flowers in her flowing hair.  Do you she her?  Watch the video for her.

face.jpg.0b0e54bf22b8ddcb8be144bfac2e2538.jpg

• Like 1

I have fed my jar very heavy twice this week since I was gone last week and it got nothing.  This morning I could not believe how filthy dirty the bottom was when I did the water change.  It was impressive.  Still, even with all that food the jar has remained algae free.  Apparently the coral and macro algae are using up those nutrients.

• Like 2
  • Wow 1

I was looking for tiny life, (copepods, bristle worms and micro stars) in the pico jar when I saw striped legs.  I got a flashlight and guess what...it was Cheerleader!  I keep declaring Cheerleader as deceased and he keeps proving me wrong, which is really cool.

• Like 9

Another cool thing I noticed in the reef jar last night is that both acans are growing new heads!  The merletti is definitely regrowing heads that had died in the seahorse tank.  The rose coral is getting enormous but it is very pretty.  The orange monti is slowly reclaiming flesh.  The frogspawn and hammer are staying the same, which is good.  Big puffy coral is really nice but to see new growth is even nicer.

• Like 7

In the 5.5 AIO, I had to slice the netting behind the overflow teeth.  The netting was a tight weave and clogging up causing the water in the display portion to rise.  Twice I found it right up to the tippy top!  Slicing the netting seems to be allowing just the right amount of water through and the tank is running at a good level.  I am anxious to tranfer the creative contest container contents into this AIO tank.  It will be just perfect and I think I will add sand too.  I don't know if keeping feeder shrimp in it will irritate the coral, I will just have to try it out and see what happens.

• Like 3

I cleaned my reef jar in preparation of February's FJS.  I was also cleaning the AIO 5.5 feeder shrimp tank.  As I was dumping old water from the 5.5 I saw a shrimp that had gotten sucked up.  I decided to put it in the reef jar.  Ha ha, I keep seeing it swimming around and around, which I find funny.  Maybe I will give it some friends and I will call it a shrimp chalet again.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
11 hours ago, gena said:

That's a nice trio of tanks...looks fantastic!

Thanks gena!  Actually the 5.5 aio tank on the right is just a feeder shrimp tank now.  When the contest is over I will move the rock from the reef jar into that tank so that I have a bit more room to work plus add some mechanical and chemical filtration.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, vlangel said:

Thanks gena!  Actually the 5.5 aio tank on the right is just a feeder shrimp tank now.  When the contest is over I will move the rock from the reef jar into that tank so that I have a bit more room to work plus add some mechanical and chemical filtration.

Yeah, I remembered you were using it for that.  I like the "working" tanks just as much as display tanks :).

• Like 1

Today I took a toothbrush to the rock in the pico reef.  It did not have much algae but it did have some cyano in the dark areas where there are less coral.  After I brushed the cyano off I did 2 water changes from the seahorse tank.  I am hoping cyano was the reason my zoas were only partially opening.  I had to be careful not to suck the ghosties out.  They were busy trying to eat whatever I had blown off the rock.

• Like 2

The shrimp chalet suffered a setback.  The LED par bulb blew out! Uhhg, thats what I get for buying a cheap bulb from china.  I was going to drop out of the contest and just move the animals into my cycled 10 gallon with a coralife fixture on it but my hubby said no way.  He got on ebay and found an ABI bulb that can be here in 4 days, Tuesday or Wednesday next week.  Its going to have more blue diodes but its for a reef so it should grow coral well.  In the meantime, I moved the jar into our biker den where we have a south facing window.  The jar should get about 5 hours of good light and I think it will be ok for 4 or 5 days that way.  I hope so anyway.

2018-03-08_04-34-42

I have to admit that it was a super easy move.  I just emptied the water out since it was due for a change anyway.  Then I carried the jar into its new location, filled it up, plugged in the pump and presto!  Back in buisness.

• Like 7