ReefCleaners.org

9 hours ago, gena said:

Oh I forgot about yellow polyps...such a vibrant addition.  I never see those anymore when I'm at my LFS's.  Probably why I've forgotten about them.  I'm going to keep an eye out.  They would be a great addition to a pico jar!

The yellow zoas are even a more vibrant yellow than the yellow polyps but the yellow polyps have long lashes and I like that.  You are right though, you don't see them as often as you used to.

8 hours ago, RIP Sebastian said:

It looks great!

Thanks Nick.  Today I hope to go to elmers and see if I can find acans and/or sun coral.

I also added some of the languishing gorgs that I had tossed into my sump (since I could not bring myself to throw them away).  I trimmed off the dead and they look pretty good in the jar so I will see how they do there.  My plan is to feed my coral the juice from the mysis I give the seahorses plus I have some invert food.  I am not buying any expensive foods at this time as I am keeping costs down.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, vlangel said:

The yellow zoas are even a more vibrant yellow than the yellow polyps but the yellow polyps have long lashes and I like that.  You are right though, you don't see them as often as you used to.

Thanks Nick.  Today I hope to go to elmers and see if I can find acans and/or sun coral.

I also added some of the languishing gorgs that I had tossed into my sump (since I could not bring myself to throw them away).  I trimmed off the dead and they look pretty good in the jar so I will see how they do there.  My plan is to feed my coral the juice from the mysis I give the seahorses plus I have some invert food.  I am not buying any expensive foods at this time as I am keeping costs down.

Was it you that had those amazing bright yellow polyps but you ended up losing them?  Maybe in the seahorse tank and it was determined that it was probably too cold for them?  That sounds really familiar.  I'm glad you have some again, if that was you :).

• Like 1
7 hours ago, gena said:

Was it you that had those amazing bright yellow polyps but you ended up losing them?  Maybe in the seahorse tank and it was determined that it was probably too cold for them?  That sounds really familiar.  I'm glad you have some again, if that was you :).

It was me gena and I never actually knew why they died.  I thought that maybe I was keeping the seahorse tank too clean because I lost gsp also at that time and zoas.

This little reef jar will not be as clean as the seahorse display, even with a once a week 100% water change.

• Like 1
20171017_174650

I epoxied all of yesterday's coral purchases and also the frags that I got from the seahorse display.  The 2 acans and the blasto are today's purchases.  I wanted to make sure that the light was not too bright for them before I put them some place permanent.  I am pretty happy with everything but I always hate the unnatural white look of the hardened putty.?

20171017_174924

Here is a top down look.

• Like 5
20171017_174703

I took some close up pics of the frags.  Sorry they are such poor quality photos.  This is one of the acans.

20171017_174722

The other acan is the frag on the left and the blasto is on the right.  They are blurry but at least you can see the color.

• Like 5
20171017_174737

You can see the Idaho grape frag in the foreground and the vibrant yellow zoas in the backround.  The zoas were still mad from being epoxied.

• Like 5
20171017_174803

Here you can see the zoas in the foreground.  Behind them is a purple ribbon gorg which has been in my sump for 6 months. In the top right is a green sinularia and at the bottom right you can see a limp looking kenya tree.

• Like 5
20171017_174845

This is the left side of the jar. Beside the rio nozzle is the sad kenya tree that I hope perks up.  Behind that is some yellow polyps and just behind them you can just barely see a purple gorg with brown polyps.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, vlangel said:

20171017_174845

This is the left side of the jar. Beside the rio nozzle is the sad kenya tree that I hope perks up.  Behind that is some yellow polyps and just behind them you can just barely see a purple gorg with brown polyps.

I like the hidden pump!  I’m excited to see all the different selection of corals take off.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, tanacharison said:

I like the hidden pump!  I’m excited to see all the different selection of corals take off.

I had thought that I could hide the pump even better than it is but I misjudged just how little extra room there is in a 3 gallon jar after adding a pump and rock.  I also did not realize how slippery the rock and pump would be on a bb.  Fortunately the pump being in the small glass makes it more stable and the rock on the left fits around the pump nozzle giving the whole structure more stability.

The acans will eventually be moved toward the top once they have acclimated to the light.  Hopefully the blasto can be mounted off the side of the rock on the right.

I am excited to see the coral take off too.  In the seahorse tank with the temperature down to 70°, there is very very slow growth.

• Like 3

I fed the acans and the blasto this afternoon and they love mysis.  I had given everything else a couple of drops of microvert this morning.  Most all the coral are reacting favorably. Tomorrow will be a WC day.

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, gena said:

Those little yellow polyps are too cute!  The perfect size! I wish I could find a tiny frag like that :).

I went to 2 lfs and this was the only frag of yellow polyps that I saw and neither store had colonies.  I sure hope feeding them is the trick to keeping them.  I never feed any coral in the seahorse tank because I am so afraid of fueling bad bacteria.

• Like 1
Just now, vlangel said:

I went to 2 lfs and this was the only frag of yellow polyps that I saw and neither store had colonies.  I sure hope feeding them is the trick to keeping them.  I never feed any coral in the seahorse tank because I am so afraid of fueling bad bacteria.

You don't mean direct feeding right? I think the mysis juice (mmmmm) might be enough. :) Since I have purposely increased nutrients (NO3 and PO4) in my 29g, my zoas have all been puffier and gotten larger! I previously thought some were mini zoas, but they're all big now!

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Orangutran said:

You don't mean direct feeding right? I think the mysis juice (mmmmm) might be enough. :) Since I have purposely increased nutrients (NO3 and PO4) in my 29g, my zoas have all been puffier and gotten larger! I previously thought some were mini zoas, but they're all big now!

No, I will directly feed pieces of mysis to the acans and the blasto.  Pretty much everything else will get mysis juice and microvert.

• Like 1

Well, I have some good news and some bad news.  The good news first, I moved my acans up on to the rockwork near the top and they seem good there, (as in not shrinking from the bright light).  Like gena said, I felt like the top of my jar also looked blah and the acan's nice color spices it up.

Now the bad.  I dropped the 1 acan a couple of times but it is ok.  Unfortunately the Idaho grape is not. ? It is broke off to only a nub.  I know they can grow kind of fast so I will see what the nub does.  I fragged the original and can mount another piece later if the nub does not grow.

Everything else seems to be liking the jar except the xenia which has not looked too good since I put it in.

• Like 4

Its looking like the peppermint shrimp are going to lose their safe, cosy little dwelling and be upgraded or downgraded, (depending on how you look at it).  They are running all over the coral and irritating them so the shrimp are moving to the seahorse mansion.  Its an upgrade if you focus on being moved from 3 gallons to 56 gallons.  However, its a downgrade when you consider that the pico had no predators and now the seahorse tank has 3 ever hungry ponies who love shrimp.  I am hoping that they are large enough not to look like a meal but I am not sure.

• Like 5