inTank Media Baskets

GenericReefer

GenericReefer

Hello!

I have gotten all the necessary equipment for my reef tank, and now am working on the stand.

I got a IKEA Kallax 4 Compartment, reading that it worked well for other people with 10g aquariums, but wanting to take caution, anybody got advice on how to reinforce the shelf? I have no woodworking equipment (except for maybe a just drill).

Thanks!

-Generic Reefer

I can't say I can help you at all.

But I use that shelf with my Nano and it works perfect. I added the doors on the bottom 2 square and cut out the backs to use for cords and ATO container.

GenericReefer

This may be a stupid question (and probably is), but would I use he L brackets in the joints inside the shelf or attach it to the wall using the bracket?

2 hours ago, GenericReefer said:

This may be a stupid question (and probably is), but would I use he L brackets in the joints inside the shelf or attach it to the wall using the bracket?

You could do both.

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, GenericReefer said:

I would do the top corners and the bottom corners on the inside amd underneath the shelf i have the same shelf thinfy and im doing the sane i will shoot pics

GunslingerGirl

Also if you have room, I would recommend reinforcing with a couple 4 by 4s (probably overkill) or 2 by 4s on the inside of the joints.

But this is coming from the person who built a stand using inch wood slabs and metal tables. It's a bit overkill. But hey it works.

25 minutes ago, GunslingerGirl said:

Also if you have room, I would recommend reinforcing with a couple 4 by 4s (probably overkill) or 2 by 4s on the inside of the joints.

But this is coming from the person who built a stand using inch wood slabs and metal tables. It's a bit overkill. But hey it works.

Over killing it means its safer and less chance of something going wrong

For my tank, i went to a habit for humanity store, and bought a $20 cabinet for the kitchen, sanded it, and painted it, then topped it with 1/2" or 3/4" ply wood that i painted, fun part was my top isnt secured to the cabinet base, i measured and used L brackets to position the top, but in the event of a take down, or my case set up with the sump in the cabinet, it allowed me top down access for staring and a way to pull things out with out major issue.

56 minutes ago, Kahmu84 said:

For my tank, i went to a habit for humanity store, and bought a $20 cabinet for the kitchen, sanded it, and painted it, then topped it with 1/2" or 3/4" ply wood that i painted, fun part was my top isnt secured to the cabinet base, i measured and used L brackets to position the top, but in the event of a take down, or my case set up with the sump in the cabinet, it allowed me top down access for staring and a way to pull things out with out major issue.

That's another option. A lot of ppl use cabinets.

39 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

That's another option. A lot of ppl use cabinets.

Truly, though there are a lot of idea's and options out there for everything, comes down to tank set up, what you want to spend and all that.

2 hours ago, Kahmu84 said:

Truly, though there are a lot of idea's and options out there for everything, comes down to tank set up, what you want to spend and all that.

Very true.

Most important, it can support the weight and it's level?