Cultivated Reef

Katie's 1st SW nano!

Zorya

Back from vacation and everyone’s alive, but not all happy 😕. The tailspot, Lenny, and the purple angry firefish were both sunken in, so I immediately fed them and the rest of the tank. Everyone else including the red firefish, clown, and angelfish were looking great. Looks like I know now who was eating all the food!

I wasn’t happy with how the corals were, but it appears they just stripped the water of all the phyto as when I dosed it this morning, they have now perked up. 

One rock flower was opened to the ground ground and bleached 😞. It happened over vacation and before I left it hadn’t moved and seemed very happy with its spot. It still hasn’t moved per se, but just opened through a different hole in the rock - away from the light. It was the really pretty dark purple one, so I’m bummed about that. I moved the rock so it was open to the light all day yesterday and this morning it’s now through the right part. I moved the rock back to its original spot so the little clams aren’t upside down. Here’s to hoping it pulls through! Didn’t accept food when offered, but looking A LOT better than yesterday.

Before: this was right when I put it in, so not the final spot

B55CE909-D5C7-49E6-9386-7486941F2C2A.thumb.jpeg.246317ad9f4e20f2f5c2a21cc1cc8e0a.jpeg

After: 😞 Not so purple anymore

2569B514-B669-42AE-921C-0641F63B442A.thumb.jpeg.c0f2c02a71b4fcef1a69c0869f3b37b3.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Update time!

A couple of things have happened to this aquarium since I last posted (not all bad!).

First off, the firefish have both passed away. I’ll probably not revisit them as a stocking option until I get a large enough aquarium where I can get a good amount of them to make them feel more comfy. Next, the purple rfa bleached 😱. It apparently hated the lighting amount the other two loved, so I adjusted its rock to a more shaded area and it’s on a good road to recovery! I added a mangrove, but I’m strongly considering moving it to my freshwater tanks to help with maintenance of it, since I’m occasionally gone and I won’t be able to spray off the leaves of salt every day. I haven’t moved it yet though. My scroll algae has disappeared as well as the small decorator crab that I put in there, but I think the crab is hiding since it’s about the size of a pencil eraser in the tank.

All of my corals appear to be flourishing and I have added a neon green birdnest and a forest fire digi. My pocillipora which I thought had bleached away has sprung back from a tiny nub! I’ll have to make sure to keep it happy as I’ve finally found the light it likes. 

I decided to run my lights a little more white in the mornings to stimulate macro growth and to see the corals and fish in a better light. I did reduce the intensity by a smidge to compensate for the extra white, red, and green wattage. 

Full tank shot!

0FEBC105-9331-4553-A8F2-41C141516E0A.thumb.png.8547b596166a209270ce6f43b83510b0.png

2AD17AAB-B25C-4E9C-9091-299475D1E926.gif