ReefCleaners.org

Gena's C.C. Pico Contest Build

gena

I was just in @vlangel pico thread and she mentioned how she hopes to get her coral to grow.  I noticed a new head on my new blasto from RAP.  It definitely is growing which is very exciting.  So these things will grow LOL.  Keep that in mind when stocking your pico tanks, friends omgomgomg.  I think they will actually grow really fast with the 100% weekly water changes and easy peasy feedings we can do with these jars. 

I think it's safe to say I'm hooked on this jar.  I could be completely satisfied with just having one little jar as my reef.  I may miss fish at some point.  But I'm also kinda over the whole fish thing and more into the coral and plant life thing :D.

The only downside is the coral outgrowing the space too fast.  But it's a good excuse to start over.  I kinda like starting something new every year or two anyways.

• Like 6
2 hours ago, gena said:

I was just in @vlangel pico thread and she mentioned how she hopes to get her coral to grow.  I noticed a new head on my new blasto from RAP.  It definitely is growing which is very exciting.  So these things will grow LOL.  Keep that in mind when stocking your pico tanks, friends omgomgomg.  I think they will actually grow really fast with the 100% weekly water changes and easy peasy feedings we can do with these jars. 

I think it's safe to say I'm hooked on this jar.  I could be completely satisfied with just having one little jar as my reef.  I may miss fish at some point.  But I'm also kinda over the whole fish thing and more into the coral and plant life thing :D.

The only downside is the coral outgrowing the space too fast.  But it's a good excuse to start over.  I kinda like starting something new every year or two anyways.

I am not using any heater although the rio pump puts out heat.  I have noticed over the years that most coral in my seahorse tank do not grow very fast.  I assume that it is because the tank is so cool, 71°.

The macro algae still grow great and some coral like gsp and palys still seem to grow some.  I am hoping the pico is warm enough.

1 hour ago, vlangel said:

I am not using any heater although the rio pump puts out heat.  I have noticed over the years that most coral in my seahorse tank do not grow very fast.  I assume that it is because the tank is so cool, 71°.

The macro algae still grow great and some coral like gsp and palys still seem to grow some.  I am hoping the pico is warm enough.

What is your temp staying at throughout the day in the jar?  I had my doubts that I could get things to grow so I was pretty excited to see that new head on the blasto omgomgomg.  So far this pico jar has been so EASY (knock on wood). 

• Like 3
7 minutes ago, gena said:

What is your temp staying at throughout the day in the jar?  I had my doubts that I could get things to grow so I was pretty excited to see that new head on the blasto omgomgomg.  So far this pico jar has been so EASY (knock on wood). 

I do not have a thermometer so I am not sure.  Its slightly warmer than than the seahorse tank.

• Like 1

Lovely new video!  Looks like an awesome way to spend a Friday to me!  I still think you should get some fun inverts.  Then again, I don't fight with mine to feed corals.  I'm of the school of thought where I just broadcast feed the tank and everything gets what it gets.  Granted, this is also why I don't have LPS corals that need regular feeding.  However, my pistol shrimp, pom pom crab, and porcelain crab don't interfere with the corals eating at all.  Its cleaner shrimp that are a pain about that.  I still vote for at least one cool little invert in this pico.  I'm just partial to tiny inverts though.  :D

• Like 1
On 11/2/2017 at 11:30 AM, gena said:

Thanks, Christopher!!!! And I agree the difference it makes.  It's actually more enjoyable to look at now.  I really am not a huge fan of the blue look.  The coral pop is cool, but this is just more soothing to me.  And you guys are gonna get so sick of me posting photos.  There will be a lot because now there is no color correction involved :lol:.

These were after yesterday's water change.  It's amazing how fast everything bounces back after a 100% water change :wub:.

Screen Shot 2017-11-02 at 8.27.21 AM

Screen Shot 2017-11-02 at 8.27.33 AM

Screen Shot 2017-11-02 at 8.27.44 AM

Gena, it looks so good!  I actually just put this bulb on my jar to try it as I couldn't handle the purple anymore lol.  I can SEE my stuff! 

10 hours ago, gena said:

I will probably tire of fish eventually but for now they are a cool novelty for me, having never had them haha.

• Like 3
On 11/2/2017 at 10:30 AM, gena said:

These were after yesterday's water change.  It's amazing how fast everything bounces back after a 100% water change :wub:.

I was talking to the "old" guy at the LFS the other day about these pico tanks. He's had one 'coral' tank up and running for 15+ years. I swear he said the 90's, but don't quote me on that.  But he was very against the very idea of 100% water changes. The very idea made him visible cringe.. :-) But, I've been doing 100's every day, and I'd say my corals are getting fuller every time.   I have to completely agree with you and how addictive these pico's are for their ease of maintenance and care.  Mind you I'm knocking on wood as I type this.... I'm also taken by how the attitudes are changing from where they've been stuck for 20-30+ years.  The idea that you can have a successful pico tank for under $100 is amazing.  Your pico looks awesome and it's in a frick'n jar with no filter! :)

• Like 6
On 11/5/2017 at 3:00 PM, Felicia said:

Lovely new video!  Looks like an awesome way to spend a Friday to me!  I still think you should get some fun inverts.  Then again, I don't fight with mine to feed corals.  I'm of the school of thought where I just broadcast feed the tank and everything gets what it gets.  Granted, this is also why I don't have LPS corals that need regular feeding.  However, my pistol shrimp, pom pom crab, and porcelain crab don't interfere with the corals eating at all.  Its cleaner shrimp that are a pain about that.  I still vote for at least one cool little invert in this pico.  I'm just partial to tiny inverts though.  :D

Thanks!  If I do it, it will be the candy stripe pistol.  Seems like the safest bet since they pretty much hide in their hole all day????  I've never had one.  Aren't they blind?  My LFS had the tiniest I'd ever seen, when I was there last week :).

On 11/5/2017 at 7:47 PM, Lula_Mae said:

Gena, it looks so good!  I actually just put this bulb on my jar to try it as I couldn't handle the purple anymore lol.  I can SEE my stuff! 

I will probably tire of fish eventually but for now they are a cool novelty for me, having never had them haha.

Thank you :).  This bulb is the bomb!!!!  I LOVE it.  And the coral does too.  Seems like it's not as bright as the Tuna Blue.  My ricordeas are reaching when they didn't do that with the Tuna Blue.  But everything is really PLUMP and happy with the light.

On 11/6/2017 at 8:12 AM, jahnje said:

I was talking to the "old" guy at the LFS the other day about these pico tanks. He's had one 'coral' tank up and running for 15+ years. I swear he said the 90's, but don't quote me on that.  But he was very against the very idea of 100% water changes. The very idea made him visible cringe.. :-) But, I've been doing 100's every day, and I'd say my corals are getting fuller every time.   I have to completely agree with you and how addictive these pico's are for their ease of maintenance and care.  Mind you I'm knocking on wood as I type this.... I'm also taken by how the attitudes are changing from where they've been stuck for 20-30+ years.  The idea that you can have a successful pico tank for under $100 is amazing.  Your pico looks awesome and it's in a frick'n jar with no filter! :)

Thank you!!!!  I love this post :wub:

Old school dude cringing :lol:.  He needs to get with the times.  Picos are the future omgomgomg

fingerscrossed

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
21 hours ago, Justind823 said:

Really nice so far! Filling in nicely

Your tanks have a way with the fluffy coral

Thanks, Justin!

Everything is super fluffy.  EXCEPT for one of my new acans.  It's not loving life in the jar.  I noticed it's been bleaching.  So I moved it to some shade.  We'll see if it recovers fingerscrossed.  I may end up moving it to the 10 gallon.

• Like 3
On 11/9/2017 at 6:00 PM, Pjanssen said:

wow! just trying to catch up on everytything! This looks amazing. So bright and crisp!

Thank you very much! 

Not much new to report.  The bleaching acan is looking a whole lot better today.  I think it was getting too much direct light.  It was in the brightest part of the jar.

Here's a vid from yesterday.  My goniopora is looking even bigger today :scarry:.  I don't want things to grow so fast!!!!!  I mean, some things yes, but others not so much...like the goniopora.

• Like 8
13 minutes ago, gena said:

Thank you very much! 

Not much new to report.  The bleaching acan is looking a whole lot better today.  I think it was getting too much direct light.  It was in the brightest part of the jar.

Here's a vid from yesterday.  My goniopora is looking even bigger today :scarry:.  I don't want things to grow so fast!!!!!  I mean, some things yes, but others not so much...like the goniopora.

So pretty! Are you using an airstone on yours? Or just the straight tubing? I think my powerhead landed sand in my mushroom and started it melting, like what happened when my tank crashed before. :( Thinking about taking it out now. Sigh.

• Sad 2
23 minutes ago, jahnje said:

so pretty!

Thank you :)

12 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

So pretty! Are you using an airstone on yours? Or just the straight tubing? I think my powerhead landed sand in my mushroom and started it melting, like what happened when my tank crashed before. :( Thinking about taking it out now. Sigh.

Yep, I'm using the air stone.  Just going with straight tubing makes giant bubbles and I don't get a peaceful easy feeling from that :lol:

I've gotten used to the bubbles.  I have a backup powerhead but I doubt I'll use it.  I'm also concerned about it adding heat to the tank.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, gena said:

Thank you :)

Yep, I'm using the air stone.  Just going with straight tubing makes giant bubbles and I don't get a peaceful easy feeling from that :lol:

I've gotten used to the bubbles.  I have a backup powerhead but I doubt I'll use it.  I'm also concerned about it adding heat to the tank.

Heat is definitely a valid concern in our tanks! I don't have any airstones at the moment as I've not used them in years but I know what you mean about the big bubbles not being very peaceful! Of course nothing about this tank is peaceful at the moment. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

I love this.... 5minutes ago I'm bored at work and wallah! Boredom replaced with fascination in what you all can create inside such a small space. Beautiful rockwork and tasteful composition. Love it! (Making me want a jar and I've just barely started my first nano! :rolleyes: Hahaha) 

• Like 7
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/10/2017 at 7:55 PM, JcSH2o said:

I love this.... 5minutes ago I'm bored at work and wallah! Boredom replaced with fascination in what you all can create inside such a small space. Beautiful rockwork and tasteful composition. Love it! (Making me want a jar and I've just barely started my first nano! :rolleyes: Hahaha) 

Thanks so much!!!!!  Jars are the future ;) 

I've been working on a write up and video of doing a water change on a pico jar.  Finally finished it last night so I'm hoping to get the video on youtube soon.  Maybe today????  Probably today!!!!!  :D.

Other than that...the pico jar is chugging along.  I'm starting to think I'll need to do 2 water changes a week though.  I don't think my alk/ca is keeping up with all the LPS I have in there.  And I'm afraid to dose in such a small container.  And with an additional water change, I won't need to test.  I think this is where I'm headed with the jar.  Such an experiment this little jar is!!!!

Today is a water change day.  I look forward to those :D.

• Like 8
On 11/7/2017 at 8:23 AM, gena said:

Thanks!  If I do it, it will be the candy stripe pistol.  Seems like the safest bet since they pretty much hide in their hole all day????  I've never had one.  Aren't they blind?  My LFS had the tiniest I'd ever seen, when I was there last week :).

Yep, they basically lurk in their hole and then dart a little ways out of the entrance to grab food that floats by.  They definitely won't go running across the the tank or up onto corals to grab food.  And yeah, I believe they're blind or at least have poor eyesight.

LOVE the article you put together, Gena!  The video is wonderful!  Such high quality, well edited, and informative.  I'm sure this will be a wonderful resource for the other contestants and anyone starting a pico container reef.  Looks like the water change is SUPER easy.  The water change on my 14 gallon is so much easier than on my 40B, but not you're making me jealous with how quickly and easily you can do a 100% water change in that jar.

The tank is looking so happy!  That goniopora definitely looks like its grown some.  I can't wait to see this jar once all the corals grow and are all crammed together, filling up all the space.

• Like 3
On 11/25/2017 at 12:47 AM, Felicia said:

Yep, they basically lurk in their hole and then dart a little ways out of the entrance to grab food that floats by.  They definitely won't go running across the the tank or up onto corals to grab food.  And yeah, I believe they're blind or at least have poor eyesight.

LOVE the article you put together, Gena!  The video is wonderful!  Such high quality, well edited, and informative.  I'm sure this will be a wonderful resource for the other contestants and anyone starting a pico container reef.  Looks like the water change is SUPER easy.  The water change on my 14 gallon is so much easier than on my 40B, but not you're making me jealous with how quickly and easily you can do a 100% water change in that jar.

The tank is looking so happy!  That goniopora definitely looks like its grown some.  I can't wait to see this jar once all the corals grow and are all crammed together, filling up all the space.

Thank you!!!!!! I had fun putting it together and my husband did the editing on the video.  I just had to wait for him to find some time to do it.  

I might head to my LFS this week and possibly pick up a snail or two.  I'll look at the pistols again if they have them.  I'm still not sure that I want to add any critters besides snails to this jar.

• Like 2
On 11/28/2017 at 9:22 AM, metrokat said:

Nice video Gena. :flower:

Thank you :flower: 

Nothing new coral wise to report here.  I'll have to get a new picture soon...it's almost December omgomgomg 

I lowered the light which made a big difference.  I had it up high for light acclimation and I could tell things were starting to need more light.  It has made a big difference in coral happiness, mainly the color :).  

Nothing new has been added.  I did go to my LFS yesterday and turned in a large fiji yellow leather and brain coral from my 10g tank.  Both were just not fitting in there anymore.  Got some credit and a new bucket of salt.  It's kinda fun to grow corals and then trade them in for credit.  And then you basically have a new tank to work with, new space, to fill in with new coral.  In my case I didn't add anything but rearranged some things which eventually will have to be turned in for credit again when they outgrow the tank :lol:.

I looked for some softies for the jar but didn't see anything that spoke to me.  I wasn't in the mood to acclimate snails last night so I didn't get any snails yet either :lol:.  So lazy :D.  

• Like 5

How high is your light compared to what it was?  One of my acans has paled and I wonder if I need to lower my light.  Mine is a good 2 ft above the jar.