Coral Vue Hydros

Gena's C.C. Pico Contest Build

gena

1 minute ago, vlangel said:

I love the new bulb way better too.

For photography, it makes a HUGE difference.  I didn't mind the blue and the glow of the corals in person.  But for photography...no way LOL. And really, this is so much more natural looking.  It's just more soothing to look at.

• Like 2
15 hours ago, gena said:

Yep!  The closeout one for I think it was 29.99.  Thank you @Lula_Mae for the heads up on it :flower:.

Here's one more photo:

Screen Shot 2017-10-30 at 1.17.07 PM

Looks fantastic!  I'm debating whether to stick with the purple-y one, go back to this one, or replace the ABI blue and white 50/50 one...guess I better decide by tonight! :lol:

• Like 1
17 hours ago, cnseekatz said:

Gotta go topless Gena.... er... lidless as the case may be.

But topless has never been the issue :huh:

:lol:

I have to keep the bubble spray in somehow :D.

2 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

Looks fantastic!  I'm debating whether to stick with the purple-y one, go back to this one, or replace the ABI blue and white 50/50 one...guess I better decide by tonight! :lol:

Thanks!  I like this one best so far!!!!!  I'm really tempted to get the ABI B/W 50/50 too.  We can change bulbs at any time as long as they are the correct type of bulb.  While I like this one a LOT.  I still like a little pop and maybe the blue and white will give me that.  I've already bought this many bulbs, what's one more????  :lol:

• Haha 2

New bulb looks awesome! I know you prob mentioned it, but what's the ratio of colours? Corals and photos look like a winner!

My cheap eBay one has a purply tint, which I kinda like to be honest. But, I ordered a new 2:3 / B:W to see how it looks! 

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Orangutran said:

New bulb looks awesome! I know you prob mentioned it, but what's the ratio of colours? Corals and photos look like a winner!

My cheap eBay one has a purply tint, which I kinda like to be honest. But, I ordered a new 2:3 / B:W to see how it looks! 

I went to look online and I don't see my bulb anymore.  I'll have to wait for it to turn on to see.  But off the top of my head I remember one red, one green, a few white and a few different blues LOL.  How's that for an answer? :lol:

I'll get back to you on that :).

I'm really tempted to order the 50/50.

6 minutes ago, jahnje said:

That's a really nice color light.  No urge to hang up a black velvet poster anymore! ;) 

You mean my Elvis on Velvet? :wub:

Thanks!

18 minutes ago, gena said:

I went to look online and I don't see my bulb anymore.  I'll have to wait for it to turn on to see.  But off the top of my head I remember one red, one green, a few white and a few different blues LOL.  How's that for an answer? :lol:

I'll get back to you on that :).

Haha, no worries! I was just curious, since I already have my cheapo eBay bulbs on order.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, seabass said:

It's really more of a 67/33.  More blue than white.  Still, I'm not dissatisfied with it.

Shh close enough! ;)

10 hours ago, gena said:

Do you have to do any color correcting with photos?

I don't think I had to do any while I had it over the 5.5.  It's somewhere in between the Tuna Blue and Reef Radiance, it's got plenty of blue but not overwhelmingly so.

• Like 1
On 10/31/2017 at 9:08 AM, seabass said:

I use a camera with white balance controls.  Here's a pic with an iPhone without post processing:

100917e.jpg

Hmmmm...that is very helpful.  Thank you :bowdown:

The coral seem to like the newest lighting so I'm going to hold off for a while, on buying that 50/50 bulb.  If the corals are happy, and I'm happy, I think I finally found my winning bulb LOL. 

Water change day!!!!!  I just fed the jar and have the pump off.  I'll let them soak in a mix of phyto, microvore, and mysis for a bit :D.  Then it all gets cleaned out.  I actually look forward to the maintenance on this jar. 

• Like 6
11 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

:wub: 

Wow the new bulb makes such a difference!

Thanks, Christopher!!!! And I agree the difference it makes.  It's actually more enjoyable to look at now.  I really am not a huge fan of the blue look.  The coral pop is cool, but this is just more soothing to me.  And you guys are gonna get so sick of me posting photos.  There will be a lot because now there is no color correction involved :lol:.

These were after yesterday's water change.  It's amazing how fast everything bounces back after a 100% water change :wub:.

Screen Shot 2017-11-02 at 8.27.21 AM

Screen Shot 2017-11-02 at 8.27.33 AM

Screen Shot 2017-11-02 at 8.27.44 AM

• Like 9
  • Wow 1
  • Thanks 1

LOVE the new bulb!  This is much more Gena style now.  I'm with you on the neon color pop being really cool, but I just prefer the white lighting.  It is more soothing somehow.  Everything looks amazing!  I absolutely love these latest photos!  Sounds like maintenance will be a breeze. :)

Also, I really like the bubbles in the background.  I bet they're relaxing and fun.

tenor.gif

• Like 5
On 11/2/2017 at 11:33 PM, Felicia said:

LOVE the new bulb!  This is much more Gena style now.  I'm with you on the neon color pop being really cool, but I just prefer the white lighting.  It is more soothing somehow.  Everything looks amazing!  I absolutely love these latest photos!  Sounds like maintenance will be a breeze. :)

Also, I really like the bubbles in the background.  I bet they're relaxing and fun.

tenor.gif

Thanks, Felicia!  This is definitely more my style :).  Yep, I've gotten used to the bubbles now.  I have a tiny powerhead I can use later if I decide, but the flow is nice and gentle right now with just the air pump, which is what I need for the mushrooms in the jar :).

IG video.....

• Like 5
  • Wow 1
6 minutes ago, fishfreak0114 said:

You have a fair amount of flow in your jar!  Perhaps I should increase my bubbles.  Everything looks super happy in both your tanks! :)

Yeah, so far everything is happy (knock on wood).  I actually have the pump turned down very low too.  I can get the flow really moving in there but I don't want my mushrooms to float around so I keep it low.  If I remember right, the pump I bought for the jar is minimum 10 gallons.

My jar is really maturing.  I have feather dusters popping out of the sand now and worms and pods on the glass.  I stopped using the bacteria in a bottle.  I think I'm at that point now that it's no longer needed.  The stringy white bacteria I was having is gone now too since I stopped using it.  Which is really nice :).

I actually would feel comfortable adding an invert to the tank now.  But still think I'm going to go invert-less for a while.  I really really like not having to worry about mouths to feed.  Maybe next week I'll pick up my snails.  Still not much algae in the jar so I'm hesitant.

• Like 4