SaltCritters.com

Gena's C.C. Pico Contest Build

gena

On 1/3/2018 at 5:01 PM, Lula_Mae said:

Ohhh the beautiful blastos! Hope you can maybe get some frags someday, you had some beauties!

I was able to make a couple of frags of the pink and blue merlettis but nothing else.  I would have needed a saw for the purple and green blastos and I really didn't need a frag of those that badly.  They were unique though. I don't think I've seen them anywhere, since I got them a few years ago.  I'll have to see if my LFS fragged them up yet.

• Like 2
Christopher Marks

Happy New Year Gena!

Hope your pico jar is well, it seems like all the coral are settling in well. That's to bad that the gorgonians were causing so much trouble. Has the algae growth been much of a concern, or are the water changes knocking it back before it advances?

• Like 1
7 hours ago, gena said:

I was able to make a couple of frags of the pink and blue merlettis but nothing else.  I would have needed a saw for the purple and green blastos and I really didn't need a frag of those that badly.  They were unique though. I don't think I've seen them anywhere, since I got them a few years ago.  I'll have to see if my LFS fragged them up yet.

They definitely were unique!  I've been collecting interesting blastos but have not come across anything like those yet.

• Like 1
23 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

Happy New Year Gena!

Hope your pico jar is well, it seems like all the coral are settling in well. That's to bad that the gorgonians were causing so much trouble. Has the algae growth been much of a concern, or are the water changes knocking it back before it advances?

Happy New Year, @Christopher Marks!!!!!  Pico jar is well.  I have sorta kinda neglected it for a week :o.  But no worse for the wear.  I'll be doing my water change today :D.  I think it's much more stable now and can handle some neglect now.  Time to experiment more on that :lol:.

Gorgonians have been an issue in my 10g tank.  I don't have any in this jar.  But things are much better in the 10g now.  Algae in this jar is minimal.  Easily brushed off with my handy dandy algae brush (aka, toothbrush).

16 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

They definitely were unique!  I've been collecting interesting blastos but have not come across anything like those yet.

Yeah, they were awesome.  I'll check my LFS maybe this week to see if he fragged them.  And if so, maybe I'll buy one LOL.

• Like 5
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/20/2018 at 8:03 AM, MarieH said:

Happy New Year. Everything looks fantastic, so impressive!   Rootin for you..and all :)

Thank you :).  Happy New Year to you too!!!!!

• Like 1

January update time.  Nothing new :lol:.  Just a little growth.  Still no snails or crabs or shrimp or anything but pods.  I'm growing quite a few tiny feather dusters which are cute.  I could see them getting out of control though.  I'm growing some algae too but it's easy to control with my toothbrush scraper and some peroxide.  So basically everything is just chugging along.  I'm doing one water change a week, sometimes I go over a week without a water change.  Now that the jar is more mature, it can totally handle it, which is nice. 

Screen Shot 2018-01-23 at 8.13.40 AM

Screen Shot 2018-01-23 at 8.13.28 AM

Screen Shot 2018-01-23 at 8.13.09 AM

Screen Shot 2018-01-23 at 8.12.57 AM

Screen Shot 2018-01-23 at 8.12.44 AM

Screen Shot 2018-01-23 at 8.12.34 AM

• Like 10
  • Wow 3

I totally agree with fishfreak!  Your jar is gourgeous with beautiful lush happy coral.  I am sure that it is everything you dreamed it would be.  Well done!

• Like 1
On 1/23/2018 at 9:28 AM, fishfreak0114 said:

SO BEAUTIFUL!  Everything looks super healthy, great work!  How many blastos do you have in there now?

On 1/23/2018 at 10:03 AM, vlangel said:

I totally agree with fishfreak!  Your jar is gourgeous with beautiful lush happy coral.  I am sure that it is everything you dreamed it would be.  Well done!

Thank you both very much!  @fishfreak0114 I have 5 different blastos in there now.  

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/26/2018 at 8:27 AM, DCUEVAS74 said:

Gena, your jar is immaculate.  Kudos on the overall look!  Kudos on the great scape in such a small space. Keep up the great work!

Thank you sooo much :) 

On 1/27/2018 at 9:22 AM, dmw913 said:

Looking just fantastic!!!  I love how it's filling in!  #picomastergena

Haha....thanks a bunch :D.

A while ago I thought I saw a stomatella snail in this jar.  But it was small and not moving so I wasn't positive.  WELL.....flash forward to this last week.  I was looking in the jar before the lights came on and saw this giant beast LOL.  Confirmed!!!!  I have a stomatella snail and he's doing quite well judging by it's growth.  So, I officially DO have a living creature in here besides coral (and pods) :).

Screen Shot 2018-02-06 at 8.19.32 AM

• Like 10
  • 2 weeks later...

Hellooooo :) 

FTS for the month.  I guess it's for February?  Can't believe tomorrow is already March!!!!  Again nothing new here.  Been busy with other things and the reefs have taken a back seat.  We are planning a move this year and the tanks will be coming down.  This one after the contest and my 10 gallon very soon.  I've been slacking on maintenance and you can see the algae growth in this little jar.  It's not terrible and easy to clean up when I actually get around to cleaning it up :blush:.  

After our move I will most likely only set up another jar.  No fish.  No inverts.  I don't want to have to feed or dose.  This little jar just runs itself, basically.  I love it :D.  My 10 gallon is work.  This isn't.  Which is surprising since I have so much LPS in there.  I've been going 2 weeks or more before a water change and it's still doing well.  I keep expecting to walk in and see a jar crash but so far not fingerscrossed.  I think once these are established they can take some neglect.  I think not having fish or inverts (besides my hitchhiker snail) makes a big difference.

So that's all the news that's new.  Sorry I haven't been around.  I've been preoccupied with my other hobby and business (macrame) and preparing for a move.

Screen Shot 2018-02-28 at 4.25.32 PM

• Like 10
  • Sad 1
14 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

giphy.gif

:lol: 

I actually thought about moving the jar filled across country but decided I don't want to deal with the hassle.  I'll already have 2 cats and a dog to deal with LOL.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • 2 weeks later...

The contest is coming to a close!  March 31st will be the official end of the competition and then the voting will begin.  In order to help the community decide what tanks to vote for, each remaining contestant will need to do the following:

1. PM me three (3) final photos that you think summarize your container reef.  The composition for two of these is up to you, but one of them should be a final FTS taken sometime during the month of March.
  2. PM me a written summary of your container reef build and experiences throughout the competition.  This should be no more than 250 words.
  3. These items must be private messaged to me by midnight (Pacific Standard Time) on March 31st.
On 3/11/2018 at 8:28 PM, Felicia said:

The contest is coming to a close!  March 31st will be the official end of the competition and then the voting will begin.  In order to help the community decide what tanks to vote for, each remaining contestant will need to do the following:

1. PM me three (3) final photos that you think summarize your container reef.  The composition for two of these is up to you, but one of them should be a final FTS taken sometime during the month of March.
  2. PM me a written summary of your container reef build and experiences throughout the competition.  This should be no more than 250 words.
  3. These items must be private messaged to me by midnight (Pacific Standard Time) on March 31st.

Already???? omgomgomg 

On 3/16/2018 at 9:29 AM, imkelz said:

What a beautiful little bit of ocean. I'm sad that you are going to take it down soon. Are you going to set up tanks after the move?

Thank you!!!  I think I will set up again.  If I do, it will be soft coral only and no fish :).  I've always wanted a mushroom tank :wub:.

• Like 6
On 3/23/2018 at 12:53 PM, gena said:

Already???? omgomgomg 

Yep!   Time really flew by!  Also, just a friendly reminder that your write-up and three photos are due to me by midnight (PST) tomorrow night (3/31).

• Like 1
On 23/03/2018 at 3:53 PM, gena said:

Already???? omgomgomg 

Thank you!!!  I think I will set up again.  If I do, it will be soft coral only and no fish :).  I've always wanted a mushroom tank :wub:.

Lovely tank. 

I love mushrooms too. I think a mushroom tank would be awesome ?

• Like 2