SaltCritters.com

Gena's C.C. Pico Contest Build

gena

3 hours ago, vlangel said:

How high is your light compared to what it was?  One of my acans has paled and I wonder if I need to lower my light.  Mine is a good 2 ft above the jar.

It was 13" from the top rim of the jar, now it's 7".  My corals were looking a bit brown/dull but look so much better now.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, gena said:

It was 13" from the top rim of the jar, now it's 7".  My corals were looking a bit brown/dull but look so much better now.

Maybe that's been my problem with this bulb (the Reef Radiance one, right?), having it too high up!

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

Maybe that's been my problem with this bulb (the Reef Radiance one, right?), having it too high up!

Yep!  The glass top is so thick, I think it blocks quite a bit of light, or bounces it off someplace else.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, gena said:

Yep!  The glass top is so thick, I think it blocks quite a bit of light, or bounces it off someplace else.

I had it pretty high over the 5.5 too, so I'm guessing that's why stuff didn't color up so wonderfully. I'll try lowering it soon and see!

• Like 1
Just now, Lula_Mae said:

I had it pretty high over the 5.5 too, so I'm guessing that's why stuff didn't color up so wonderfully. I'll try lowering it soon and see!

I bet you will notice an improvement!

• Like 2
10 hours ago, gena said:

10 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

I am going to lower mine too and see it that helps.

• Like 2
On 11/30/2017 at 11:35 AM, gena said:

Thank you :flower: 

Nothing new coral wise to report here.  I'll have to get a new picture soon...it's almost December omgomgomg 

I lowered the light which made a big difference.  I had it up high for light acclimation and I could tell things were starting to need more light.  It has made a big difference in coral happiness, mainly the color :).  

Nothing new has been added.  I did go to my LFS yesterday and turned in a large fiji yellow leather and brain coral from my 10g tank.  Both were just not fitting in there anymore.  Got some credit and a new bucket of salt.  It's kinda fun to grow corals and then trade them in for credit.  And then you basically have a new tank to work with, new space, to fill in with new coral.  In my case I didn't add anything but rearranged some things which eventually will have to be turned in for credit again when they outgrow the tank :lol:.

I looked for some softies for the jar but didn't see anything that spoke to me.  I wasn't in the mood to acclimate snails last night so I didn't get any snails yet either :lol:.  So lazy :D.  

PS have you gotten to do pics of your 10 with the brain and leather gone? :D

• Like 1
On 12/1/2017 at 6:21 PM, vlangel said:

I am going to lower mine too and see it that helps.

Notice any difference?  The change in mine has been very positive.  I have nice colors again :).

On 12/2/2017 at 7:34 AM, Lula_Mae said:

PS have you gotten to do pics of your 10 with the brain and leather gone? :D

I haven't.  I'll try to get it today.  The clownfish have adapted.  They still sleep in the same area but right up under the neon green trumpets now.  I was most worried about them missing the brain coral.  Seems to have worked out ok though.

Oh...here's a picture from instagram for now.  You can see the brain coral and the yellow leather are gone.  I'll get a better one than that though.

And here's the latest pico posting.  I'll get a better one of that too :lol:.  I moved some palys to new positions so there is a change.  Not in this photo since I just moved things on Wednesday.

• Like 7
  • Wow 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone!!!!  I figured it's the end of the month and I better get an update in here for December.  Things are chugging along.  I did remove my pink goniopora.  It stopped opening, or barely opened, and it wasn't improving, so I moved it to the 10g tank.  It's not doing any better in there so I'm pretty sure it's on the way out.  

I replaced it with some blasto merlettis from the 10 gallon tank.  I like how they look just as well, so that's a positive.  Other than some algae growing, nothing else has changed.  I did move a large blasto from the 10 to the sand in here.  It loves it in the pico.  I'm having some issues with my 10g.  I think it's dinos :wacko:.  I had to do a HUGE trimming on my gorgonians since they were attacking that the worst of all.  Now I'm going to try a no water change thing and see if they burn themselves out.  That's what I read to do with the small amount of research I've done so far.

Here are a few pictures of the pico that I took today.  I missed it's water change yesterday....oops :).  Just too busy lately with the holidays.  And I could still really use some snails.  There is still no livestock in this pico.  I think I saw a stomatella in there the other day though.  I have no idea where that came from.  

Screen Shot 2017-12-28 at 12.00.52 PM

Screen Shot 2017-12-28 at 12.01.05 PM

Screen Shot 2017-12-28 at 12.01.17 PM

Screen Shot 2017-12-28 at 12.01.29 PM

• Like 12
  • Wow 1

Oh....I also lost my green zoanthids so I moved the palys on the mag rock down to take their place.  I'm hoping the cloves will take over the mag rock, but nothing is really growing in this pico.  It's all opening huge but I'm not really noticing growth.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, gena said:

Hello everyone!!!!  I figured it's the end of the month and I better get an update in here for December.  Things are chugging along.  I did remove my pink goniopora.  It stopped opening, or barely opened, and it wasn't improving, so I moved it to the 10g tank.  It's not doing any better in there so I'm pretty sure it's on the way out.  

I replaced it with some blasto merlettis from the 10 gallon tank.  I like how they look just as well, so that's a positive.  Other than some algae growing, nothing else has changed.  I did move a large blasto from the 10 to the sand in here.  It loves it in the pico.  I'm having some issues with my 10g.  I think it's dinos :wacko:.  I had to do a HUGE trimming on my gorgonians since they were attacking that the worst of all.  Now I'm going to try a no water change thing and see if they burn themselves out.  That's what I read to do with the small amount of research I've done so far.

Here are a few pictures of the pico that I took today.  I missed it's water change yesterday....oops :).  Just too busy lately with the holidays.  And I could still really use some snails.  There is still no livestock in this pico.  I think I saw a stomatella in there the other day though.  I have no idea where that came from.  

Screen Shot 2017-12-28 at 12.00.52 PM

Screen Shot 2017-12-28 at 12.01.05 PM

Screen Shot 2017-12-28 at 12.01.17 PM

Screen Shot 2017-12-28 at 12.01.29 PM

Jar looks fantastic!  That blasto bottom right is HUGE!!!  I have a red and blue one in the 5.5 but it's nowhere near as big lol.  Also seems to grow on a sort of stalk.  Hope your 10G pulls through soon!

4 hours ago, gena said:

Oh....I also lost my green zoanthids so I moved the palys on the mag rock down to take their place.  I'm hoping the cloves will take over the mag rock, but nothing is really growing in this pico.  It's all opening huge but I'm not really noticing growth.

Yeah I think things grow kind of slowly under the Reef Radiance bulb, which I didn't mind since it's a small tank but still lol.

• Like 2
On 12/28/2017 at 3:13 PM, gena said:

I am experiencing the same thing Gena, my coral are big and fluffy but nothing is growing except maybe the acans.

• Like 2
On 12/28/2017 at 1:39 PM, Orangutran said:

Everything looks great! What's that big red and blue thing on the sand? A blasto?

Those are blastos :).   They started struggling in my 10g tank so I moved them in here.  Super fluffy and happy again.  Wish I could figure out what's going on in the 10 :scarry:.  Maybe it needs a protein skimmer.

On 12/28/2017 at 2:08 PM, Clown79 said:

Your Pico looks wonderful. It's spotless in there and the corals really stand out! 

Great job?

Thank you very much!!!!

On 12/28/2017 at 3:39 PM, debbeach13 said:

Looks fantastic. FLUFFY

Thank you!!!!

On 12/28/2017 at 4:39 PM, Lula_Mae said:

Jar looks fantastic!  That blasto bottom right is HUGE!!!  I have a red and blue one in the 5.5 but it's nowhere near as big lol.  Also seems to grow on a sort of stalk.  Hope your 10G pulls through soon!

Yeah I think things grow kind of slowly under the Reef Radiance bulb, which I didn't mind since it's a small tank but still lol.

Thank you!!!  I thought growth would be much more noticeable in the jar but so far....nope.  :huh: 

On 12/28/2017 at 4:42 PM, Lula_Mae said:

Oh!  And I got a teeny baby fox coral for the 15!  It made me think of you and your beautiful pink one you had. :)

Oh that's awesome!  I need to see this baby :).

On 12/29/2017 at 4:52 AM, Pjanssen said:

looks great. I think slow growth is a good thing in a tank this small. everything looks really healthy and happy

Thank you!!!!  It really is a good thing.  I don't even know how I would deal with overgrowth.  I'm not good at fragging some things.

17 hours ago, vlangel said:

I am experiencing the same thing Gena, my coral are big and fluffy but nothing is growing except maybe the acans.

Yeah, I see some growth...just not what I would have expected.  Especially out of my palys.  I figured I'd have a few new heads....but nothing.  Perplexing.  Actually the LPS in the jar seem to do better than the softies.  I guess not enough nutrients for the softies.

22 hours ago, dvs1986 said:

every time i see those riccordeas, im in love. they look so nice in big groups. 

I agree :).  They are my favorite thing in the jar.  

• Like 3
On 12/30/2017 at 12:44 PM, Clown79 said:

Do you have a lot of light and flow in the 10g? I noticed my blasto love the shaded area and low flow.

Yeah, flow is decent since I also have my mp10 in it.  I actually have moved all blastos out of that tank.  I traded in the big blasto rock for store credit.  And the no water change thing is working..things are clearing up and my palys are opening again.  I'm not sure what to do next though :lol:.  Eventually I'll need to do a water change.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 1
On 1/2/2018 at 11:09 AM, gena said:

Yeah, flow is decent since I also have my mp10 in it.  I actually have moved all blastos out of that tank.  I traded in the big blasto rock for store credit.  And the no water change thing is working..things are clearing up and my palys are opening again.  I'm not sure what to do next though :lol:.  Eventually I'll need to do a water change.

Ohhh the beautiful blastos! Hope you can maybe get some frags someday, you had some beauties!

• Like 1