inTank Media Baskets

Gena's C.C. Pico Contest Build

gena

GunslingerGirl
10 minutes ago, metrokat said:

She is very playful. Thanks for asking. We go to my vet for her first visit tomorrow. I'm not liking her spay surgery spot. She's fine, unstoppable but I will feel much better once my vet checks her out. They also microchipped her and I can't feel where the implant is. I've read instances where it created tumors from inflammation so I want to know exactly where it is to keep an eye on it. I'm probably overly worried but it is what I do.

Hi I am a vet student...

It is very unlikely that a tumor will grow from the microchip implant. This is one of those... it happened in a couple animals, but they might also be more prone to developing hyperplasia. Here is some info from the American Vet Association on the matter.  

"Q:I've heard lately that microchips cause cancer. Do they?
A:  There have been reports that mice and rats developed cancer associated with implanted microchips. However, the majority of these mice and rats were being used for cancer studies when the tumors were found, and the rat and mice strains used in the studies are known to be more likely to develop cancer. Tumors associated with microchips in two dogs and two cats have been reported, but in at least one dog and one cat the tumor could not be directly linked to the microchip itself (and may have been caused by something else). For more details on the studies, read the AVMA's literature review on Microchipping of Animals. "

I have never seen any inflammation to that point for any microchip. More common issues are: migration out of the skin and subsequent loss of the chip or migration around the body causing loss of ability to find the chip. She could have lost it, but it's very easy to replace them. And I HIGHLY recommend them. They save so many lives.

If you want to discuss anything ever about vet issues, this goes for everybody on this site, I can't promise I know the answer to your really tough cases, but all of the basics and general practice issues I would more than happy to discuss with you and help ease your concerns. :)

PS. I can only find my kittens implant 8/10 times because it likes to hide in his shoulder blade spaces.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
17 minutes ago, metrokat said:

She is very playful. Thanks for asking. We go to my vet for her first visit tomorrow. I'm not liking her spay surgery spot. She's fine, unstoppable but I will feel much better once my vet checks her out. They also microchipped her and I can't feel where the implant is. I've read instances where it created tumors from inflammation so I want to know exactly where it is to keep an eye on it. I'm probably overly worried but it is what I do.

I'd do the same also. :) Calleigh is going to love her forever home!

• Like 4
Harrisonbored
9 hours ago, gena said:

I figured I should post a few pictures of the progress so far.  Things are moving along faster than I had planned.  It's all Reefapalooza's fault.  My original plan was to get a few frags and place them on a frag rack in my 10 gallon while this tank cycled.  Well, I ended up with more than my frag rack could handle.  So I decided to soft cycle this jar instead.  I have a bottle of bacteria and water changes and so far so good. 

My jar is pretty much stocked at this point :o.  Just get to watch it grow for 6 months :happydance:.  I added a magnetic shelf rock that I picked up at RAP as well.  It is holding some cloves and zoas.  It's cool :D.

I will be stocking inverts eventually.  So far my plan is a candy stripe pistol shrimp and a pom pom crab.  I'm not even going to look for them for a month at least.  I want to be sure this tank is stable.

Screen Shot 2017-10-12 at 9.26.54 AM

Screen Shot 2017-10-12 at 9.27.42 AM

Screen Shot 2017-10-12 at 9.29.40 AM

Damn it!  So much awesomeness and the contest hasn't even officially started yet.  Very well done!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, GunslingerGirl said:

Hi I am a vet student...

It is very unlikely that a tumor will grow from the microchip implant. This is one of those... it happened in a couple animals, but they might also be more prone to developing hyperplasia. Here is some info from the American Vet Association on the matter.  

A:  There have been reports that mice and rats developed cancer associated with implanted microchips. However, the majority of these mice and rats were being used for cancer studies when the tumors were found, and the rat and mice strains used in the studies are known to be more likely to develop cancer. Tumors associated with microchips in two dogs and two cats have been reported, but in at least one dog and one cat the tumor could not be directly linked to the microchip itself (and may have been caused by something else). For more details on the studies, read the AVMA's literature review on Microchipping of Animals. "

I have never seen any inflammation to that point for any microchip. More common issues are: migration out of the skin and subsequent loss of the chip or migration around the body causing loss of ability to find the chip. She could have lost it, but it's very easy to replace them. And I HIGHLY recommend them. They save so many lives.

If you want to discuss anything ever about vet issues, this goes for everybody on this site, I can't promise I know the answer to your really tough cases, but all of the basics and general practice issues I would more than happy to discuss with you and help ease your concerns. :)

PS. I can only find my kittens implant 8/10 times because it likes to hide in his shoulder blade spaces.

Thank you!

12 hours ago, gena said:

I wish I didn't have to pay for shipping!  You are soooo lucky!  Cornbread Rainbow Infusion sounds so fancy.  Isn't Cornbread like designer???? :lol:.  I know I've seen that before.  They certainly are special looking.  I like them a lot!

Cornbred is one of those "name brand" coral deals like Tyree or WWC.  I could really care less about the designer thing.  I just buy pretty corals .  :)  They really are pretty with the peach color and then the deep green centers.  They look nice under white lighting, which I like too!

I LOVE the new shots of the jar.  While I love your signature pastel color scheme, this new pops of neon color scheme is really fun!  I like all the super vibrant colors in there.  You're really taking advantage of the more blue lighting.  Also, I love how that magnetic shelf you got fits in there.  It really adds to the scape!

2 hours ago, metrokat said:

I worry about any little thing with Lily, so I understand!  Lily's microchip in on her shoulder blade and its often hard for me to find it.  I'm glad we have a vet student on here to chime in.  My childhood best friend is a vet and I call her all the time asking questions about Lily.  I'm sure I drive her nuts!  I'm definitely a worrier when it comes to Lily! :)

• Like 3
13 hours ago, metrokat said:

The playfulness almost never stops :lol:.  Nap times are a relief!  I have never found the microchips in any of my pets. I didn't even know about the tumor thing :o.  I'm sure they'll be fine though.  Now I'm gonna be looking for microchips on my pets LOL.

13 hours ago, GunslingerGirl said:

Hi I am a vet student...

Awesome!  This is great to know we have someone to direct our bazillion worried questions about our cats and dogs to, around here :D.

10 hours ago, Felicia said:

Cornbred is one of those "name brand" coral deals like Tyree or WWC.  I could really care less about the designer thing.  I just buy pretty corals .  :)  They really are pretty with the peach color and then the deep green centers.  They look nice under white lighting, which I like too!

I LOVE the new shots of the jar.  While I love your signature pastel color scheme, this new pops of neon color scheme is really fun!  I like all the super vibrant colors in there.  You're really taking advantage of the more blue lighting.  Also, I love how that magnetic shelf you got fits in there.  It really adds to the scape!

I worry about any little thing with Lily, so I understand!  Lily's microchip in on her shoulder blade and its often hard for me to find it.  I'm glad we have a vet student on here to chime in.  My childhood best friend is a vet and I call her all the time asking questions about Lily.  I'm sure I drive her nuts!  I'm definitely a worrier when it comes to Lily! :)

Thanks, Felicia!!!!  I was so tempted to go my usual route, but wanted to add more color this time.  It's gotta be somewhat different than my usual :D

• Like 1
22 hours ago, GunslingerGirl said:

Hey I do it too with my own furkids. lol

I love all the bright colors. It just makes me happy to look at your tank.

We worry about our kids and we worry about our furkids...it's what we do best :D.

Here's a fun picture from yesterday afternoon, early evening.  I was sitting drinking some tea staring at the pico.  It's so relaxing.  I decided to stick with the air pump for now.  The bubbles have settled down since I added a control valve plus I've kept my hands out which has probably helped.  I did get a fountain pump recently and will keep it as backup.  I may want to test it out eventually and maybe I'll like it better than bubbles, or maybe I won't :happy:.  For now....bubbles it is!

• Like 10
On 10/4/2017 at 11:36 PM, Lula_Mae said:

Yay! I'm glad somebody finally bought it, I feel like I keep recommending it and nobody believes me about how great it is lol. :lol:

What is the diameter of the heater itself. In other words the smallest hole it would thread through? It looks great but I need it to slip through the 3/4" hole on the bottom of my container. I can slip a penny through but not a nickel.  

1 hour ago, duderubble said:

What is the diameter of the heater itself. In other words the smallest hole it would thread through? It looks great but I need it to slip through the 3/4" hole on the bottom of my container. I can slip a penny through but not a nickel.  

I posted pictures on the contest thread, one shows the diameter next to a nickel for size comparison. Take a look so you can see how it looks. I think the issue will be that it has suction cups attached, I'm not sure that part can be removed.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, duderubble said:

59 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

I posted pictures on the contest thread, one shows the diameter next to a nickel for size comparison. Take a look so you can see how it looks. I think the issue will be that it has suction cups attached, I'm not sure that part can be removed.

Yeah, I don't think the suction cup part is removable.  Looks more nickel sized to me too.

I think I might try a new bulb :wacko:.  This one is 18 watts and that's all I could find "cheaply" in the color I wanted.  I want to see what 12 watts is like.  My zoas havent been opening fully and I don't know if that's light related or water quality related.  I did a water change today just in case.  And they opened a little bit more, but not like before.  I've also decreased my light cycle.  I was running 10 hour days.  I'm gonna try 8 hours.  The only cheap 12 watt I've been able to find so far is the Tuna Blue.  I'm going to keep looking but may end up with that.  Otherwise things are going fine.  Still sticking with the air pump for now.  Diatoms starting to show up....yuck :D.

Screen Shot 2017-10-15 at 4.50.00 PM

Screen Shot 2017-10-15 at 4.49.18 PM

Screen Shot 2017-10-15 at 4.49.31 PM

Screen Shot 2017-10-15 at 4.49.45 PM

• Like 11
2 hours ago, gena said:

I think I might try a new bulb :wacko:.  This one is 18 watts and that's all I could find "cheaply" in the color I wanted.  I want to see what 12 watts is like.  My zoas havent been opening fully and I don't know if that's light related or water quality related.  I did a water change today just in case.  And they opened a little bit more, but not like before.  I've also decreased my light cycle.  I was running 10 hour days.  I'm gonna try 8 hours.  The only cheap 12 watt I've been able to find so far is the Tuna Blue.  I'm going to keep looking but may end up with that.  Otherwise things are going fine.  Still sticking with the air pump for now.  Diatoms starting to show up....yuck :D.

Screen Shot 2017-10-15 at 4.50.00 PM

Screen Shot 2017-10-15 at 4.49.18 PM

Screen Shot 2017-10-15 at 4.49.31 PM

Screen Shot 2017-10-15 at 4.49.45 PM

Look at the ABI bulb seabass has, that's one I had and really liked, or look at Reef Radiance in their closeout for the 12w PAR I had over my tank for a while. Both are much whiter than the Tuna Blue.

• Like 2
9 hours ago, duderubble said:

Well a Bettastik would fit, but you'll need to put it on a controller or timer.  I'm using one in my pico (pics on page 2).  Not sure about reliability yet, so I bought two backups just in case.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

Look at the ABI bulb seabass has, that's one I had and really liked, or look at Reef Radiance in their closeout for the 12w PAR I had over my tank for a while. Both are much whiter than the Tuna Blue.

Great options but the reef radiance is like $50 and I think the bulb seabass is using is 24w?  Higher wattage than what I'm using now.  I went ahead and ordered the Tuna Blue.  It's cheap enough to experiment with the color.  If I hate it, I'll resell it.  I don't hate the color Natalia is getting and hers is Tuna Blue, so we'll see :D.

For now I stuck some window screen on the lid of the jar to try and shade things a bit.  I'll see how that goes.  Plus with the reduced light cycle?  maybe that will help.

Oh wait...just saw the closeout section, not just sale price,  for the 12 watt from Reef Radiance.  That's 29.00.  Not bad.  I'll keep that in mind if I don't like the Tuna Blue :D

• Like 2
1 hour ago, gena said:

Oh wait...just saw the closeout section, not just sale price,  for the 12 watt from Reef Radiance.  That's 29.00.  Not bad.  I'll keep that in mind if I don't like the Tuna Blue :D

Haha yeah, the closeout one is a good price, the other is more than I want to spend.  I've got the 7w purple one from Reef Radiance over my tank at the moment.  And yeah, seabass has the 12w and it's got really nice color.  Thinking about buying one to replace the one that fell apart after I took it apart cuz I am afraid to use it LOL.  The Tuna Blue definitely brings out the flourescence in the corals!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, seabass said:

Oh :blush: I just saw the 23 watt LOL. 

1 hour ago, Farmboyreef said:

Looks awesome so far! I’m enjoying checking out the competition. But it is intimidating at the same time. So many different tanks. 

Thanks, Farmboy!  I'm loving all the different tanks. Yours will be a real testament to skill in mechanics :D.  I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out!!!!!

1 hour ago, Lula_Mae said:

Haha yeah, the closeout one is a good price, the other is more than I want to spend.  I've got the 7w purple one from Reef Radiance over my tank at the moment.  And yeah, seabass has the 12w and it's got really nice color.  Thinking about buying one to replace the one that fell apart after I took it apart cuz I am afraid to use it LOL.  The Tuna Blue definitely brings out the flourescence in the corals!

Ok, maybe I'll get that one too :lol:.  And sell the ones I don't like?????? :wacko:  This hobby! omgomgomg

1 hour ago, GunslingerGirl said:

Tuna blue makes them practically glow in the dark lol

I can't wait to see :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Thought I'd show off my lovely temporary rigging of shade until I get the lower wattage bulb in.  I just cut up some window screen and taped some to the lid and placed another piece on top of the lid handle.  Looks bad, but I think it's helping already fingerscrossed.

To be honest, lighting was the least of my worries, and seems to be the thing giving me the most trouble, so far!

Screen Shot 2017-10-16 at 1.09.45 PM

And my favorite angle of the jar.  I love my new pink goniopora.  I hope it does well for me.

Screen Shot 2017-10-16 at 1.09.33 PM

• Like 7
2 hours ago, gena said:

Oh :blush: I just saw the 23 watt LOL. 

Thanks, Farmboy!  I'm loving all the different tanks. Yours will be a real testament to skill in mechanics :D.  I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out!!!!!

Ok, maybe I'll get that one too :lol:.  And sell the ones I don't like?????? :wacko:  This hobby! omgomgomg

I can't wait to see :lol:

I’m hoping I can pull it off! @ReefWeeds is painting up some of it for me so I’m looking forward to that. 

The new photos look awesome ?

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Farmboyreef said:

I’m hoping I can pull it off! @ReefWeeds is painting up some of it for me so I’m looking forward to that. 

The new photos look awesome ?

Thank you!  I know!!!  I follow you on instagram.  I can't wait to see what Rachel does with your gumball machine :happydance:.  It's gonna glow :D

Alright....Reef Radiance par 38 bulb has been ordered as well.  I thought it'd be fun to have a collection of Par LED Bulbs :rolleyes:.  I think the only one left to order is the one @seabass has.  I'll try to hold out :lol:.

I'll have enough equipment to start another jar, by the time I'm done tweaking this one ;).  Good thing there isn't a spending limit with this contest.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2