Cultivated Reef

Gena's C.C. Pico Contest Build

gena

Christopher Marks
4 minutes ago, gena said:

Thanks, Chris!  We missed you this weekend.  But there is always Vegas next year :D.

Aww I was really missing everyone this weekend too. Seeing all the photos today, I definitely missed out! Life got in the way of my plans to drive out there, but Vegas is definitely a go! :happy: 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, gena said:

So this past weekend we went to Reefapalooza.  I ended up getting quite a few coral pieces, all for this tank!  They had an amazing selection and I found everything I wanted to pick up for this tank...and more :lol:.  There was a lot of buy 3 get one free so I did end up with more than I had planned.  But it's all good. 

Here's a little sampling of what I got.  Everything is already placed in the jar :o.  I'm watching it like a hawk :D.   The zoas were my "test" coral.  They were open and happy when I got home yesterday so I put the others in.

Screen Shot 2017-10-09 at 2.48.47 PM

Oh and @Lula_Mae Legendary had the punk princess so I got those.  They actually had everything I was hoping they would have :happydance:.

How did you get your tank to cycle so fast?

• Haha 1
32 minutes ago, vlangel said:

How did you get your tank to cycle so fast?

Magic in a bottle? :lol:

59dc0eff020ff_ScreenShot2017-10-09at5_05_11PM.thumb.png.8895b7874797016a992c148b6e600f73.png

I have no real bioload at the moment so everything is ok.  But like I said, I'm watching it like a hawk.  And I am nervous but I had no choice but to put stuff in because I didn't have space in the 10 for all of my new coral from this weekend.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, vlangel said:

I did add seachem stability to mine but I am a day or so behind you.  I know coral can tolerate more ammonia than fish.

Yeah, no way would I do this with a fish in there.  I feel a little bit more relaxed since it's just coral.  But I'm still nervous and don't recommend it LOL.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, gena said:

So this past weekend we went to Reefapalooza.  I ended up getting quite a few coral pieces, all for this tank!  They had an amazing selection and I found everything I wanted to pick up for this tank...and more :lol:.  There was a lot of buy 3 get one free so I did end up with more than I had planned.  But it's all good. 

Here's a little sampling of what I got.  Everything is already placed in the jar :o.  I'm watching it like a hawk :D.   The zoas were my "test" coral.  They were open and happy when I got home yesterday so I put the others in.

Screen Shot 2017-10-09 at 2.48.47 PM

Oh and @Lula_Mae Legendary had the punk princess so I got those.  They actually had everything I was hoping they would have :happydance:.

:o

omgomgomg

:wub:

Aren't the punk princesses awesome!?  I lubs dem. <3

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

:o

omgomgomg

:wub:

Aren't the punk princesses awesome!?  I lubs dem. <3

They definitely are!  They are very generous with their frag sizes too :D.  Legendary is my favorite!

• Like 3

I am jelly of your ricordia. I went to go look for some yesterday and could only find pathetic sad looking ones so had to pass. Probably have to order some from KPA.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Merthynia said:

:lol: Came across this tonight

Hahaha...classic example of never say never :lol:.  I've loved them ever since I first saw the  @natalia_la_loca pico jar.

Just now, Tamberav said:

I am jelly of your ricordia. I went to go look for some yesterday and could only find pathetic sad looking ones so had to pass. Probably have to order some from KPA.

Aren't they awesome?  I got those from @Legendary Corals.  They are super bubbly and colorful. 

Reefapalooza couldn't have come at a better time.  Well, maybe a month later would have been ideal because my jar would definitely be fully cycled by then.  But for stocking this jar....it worked out great.

• Like 8
  • Haha 2
5 hours ago, GunslingerGirl said:

Maaaan everybody has access to better corals than I do.

I am jelly of those rics. So bright!

I never see anything like this locally either.  I just got lucky having RAP coincide with the beginning of this pico jar :D.

• Like 1

I love the ricordea in there, Gena!  Legendary sure had some nice big ricordea!  They were definitely my favorite at RAP as well.  I'll have to keep in mind that I can do local pick-up from them! :)  Not that I should buy anything else for my crammed tank! Ha!

How are all the zoas doing?  Mine are open on my frag rack.  I just need to place them on the rocks.  I'm loving how the Cornbred Rainbow Infusions look under my lighting!  I bet they pop even more under your PAR bulb.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, Felicia said:

I love the ricordea in there, Gena!  Legendary sure had some nice big ricordea!  They were definitely my favorite at RAP as well.  I'll have to keep in mind that I can do local pick-up from them! :)  Not that I should buy anything else for my crammed tank! Ha!

How are all the zoas doing?  Mine are open on my frag rack.  I just need to place them on the rocks.  I'm loving how the Cornbred Rainbow Infusions look under my lighting!  I bet they pop even more under your PAR bulb.

Zoas are doing great!  Are the cornbread rainbow infusions the peachy colored with green centers?  I can't remember which ones they are LOL.    Mine are all open, fat and happy though fingerscrossed.  I get some distortion from the glass which is annoying so I don't get a good view of everything.  Top down is better though.

I don't see any ricordea on their website, they must keep them hidden :D.  Definitely get some if they have them available.  They are super nice!  Probably the nicest I've seen.

• Like 3
12 hours ago, metrokat said:

I like Cholula!! Looking good so far, what light are you using?

Thanks, Kat!!!!  I picked up a KINGBO 18W LED Aquarium Light Bulb PAR38 on Amazon.  It seems to work ok.  Tough to take accurate photos with the iPhone though.  I always struggle with LED and phone cameras lol. 

This is a good reminder to update the first post with my equipment list :D.

Hows Calleigh?  She's so adorable.  I'm so glad you adopted her :wub:.

19 hours ago, gena said:

Zoas are doing great!  Are the cornbread rainbow infusions the peachy colored with green centers?  I can't remember which ones they are LOL.    Mine are all open, fat and happy though fingerscrossed.  I get some distortion from the glass which is annoying so I don't get a good view of everything.  Top down is better though.

I don't see any ricordea on their website, they must keep them hidden :D.  Definitely get some if they have them available.  They are super nice!  Probably the nicest I've seen.

Yep, the Cornbread Rainbow Infusions (I will forget this name soon...I'm surprised I've remembered it this long!) are the peachy ones with the green centers.  The ones that we each grabbed a frag of.  Mine are super happy too!  Yeah, I can see how the magnification from the curved glass could be a blessing and a curse.

I think they may have sold all their ricordea at RAP, because I know they had some on there before RAP.  Hopefully they're get some new ones.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Felicia said:

Yep, the Cornbread Rainbow Infusions (I will forget this name soon...I'm surprised I've remembered it this long!) are the peachy ones with the green centers.  The ones that we each grabbed a frag of.  Mine are super happy too!  Yeah, I can see how the magnification from the curved glass could be a blessing and a curse.

I think they may have sold all their ricordea at RAP, because I know they had some on there before RAP.  Hopefully they're get some new ones.

I wish I didn't have to pay for shipping!  You are soooo lucky!  Cornbread Rainbow Infusion sounds so fancy.  Isn't Cornbread like designer???? :lol:.  I know I've seen that before.  They certainly are special looking.  I like them a lot!

• Like 1

I figured I should post a few pictures of the progress so far.  Things are moving along faster than I had planned.  It's all Reefapalooza's fault.  My original plan was to get a few frags and place them on a frag rack in my 10 gallon while this tank cycled.  Well, I ended up with more than my frag rack could handle.  So I decided to soft cycle this jar instead.  I have a bottle of bacteria and water changes and so far so good. 

My jar is pretty much stocked at this point :o.  Just get to watch it grow for 6 months :happydance:.  I added a magnetic shelf rock that I picked up at RAP as well.  It is holding some cloves and zoas.  It's cool :D.

I will be stocking inverts eventually.  So far my plan is a candy stripe pistol shrimp and a pom pom crab.  I'm not even going to look for them for a month at least.  I want to be sure this tank is stable.

Screen Shot 2017-10-12 at 9.26.54 AM

Screen Shot 2017-10-12 at 9.27.42 AM

Screen Shot 2017-10-12 at 9.29.40 AM

• Like 9
  • Wow 3
38 minutes ago, gena said:

I added a magnetic shelf rock that I picked up at RAP as well.

I like that; looks great!  I've seen those in picos before and have been considering doing the same.

Your pico is already so awesome!  TBH, I can't imagine mine looking this good, even by the end of the contest.  Great job!

• Like 3
2 hours ago, schgr.cube said:

Oh jeez, what a head start! I need to get moving on mine.

Haha well, I've been planning this jar in my head for awhile now so I kinda knew what I was going for to begin with.  It helps with getting a jump start :D.  It's nothing special, just all the things I love in one tiny ocean.  I hope it fills in how I see it in my head :).

2 hours ago, seabass said:

I like that; looks great!  I've seen those in picos before and have been considering doing the same.

Your pico is already so awesome!  TBH, I can't imagine mine looking this good, even by the end of the contest.  Great job!

Thank you!!!!  I got the idea from Natalia's pico jar thread.  I'm not sure her ledge was as big but this was the smallest one they had at RAP.  Luckily it fits perfectly!

I think your jar will turn out great.  How could it not?  I think they'll all look fantastic :D.   It's such a neat idea to do these.  I don't think I've seen a "bad" jar yet!

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
9 hours ago, gena said:

Thanks, Kat!!!!  I picked up a KINGBO 18W LED Aquarium Light Bulb PAR38 on Amazon.  It seems to work ok.  Tough to take accurate photos with the iPhone though.  I always struggle with LED and phone cameras lol. 

This is a good reminder to update the first post with my equipment list :D.

Hows Calleigh?  She's so adorable.  I'm so glad you adopted her :wub:.

She is very playful. Thanks for asking. We go to my vet for her first visit tomorrow. I'm not liking her spay surgery spot. She's fine, unstoppable but I will feel much better once my vet checks her out. They also microchipped her and I can't feel where the implant is. I've read instances where it created tumors from inflammation so I want to know exactly where it is to keep an eye on it. I'm probably overly worried but it is what I do.

• Like 3