Cultivated Reef

Gena's C.C. Pico Contest Build

gena

21 minutes ago, gena said:

Thank you!  I know!!!  I follow you on instagram.  I can't wait to see what Rachel does with your gumball machine :happydance:.  It's gonna glow :D

Alright....Reef Radiance par 38 bulb has been ordered as well.  I thought it'd be fun to have a collection of Par LED Bulbs :rolleyes:.  I think the only one left to order is the one @seabass has.  I'll try to hold out :lol:.

I'll have enough equipment to start another jar, by the time I'm done tweaking this one ;).  Good thing there isn't a spending limit with this contest.

Sweet! I like Instagram. I follow you as well. Knew you looked familiar. Yeah, can’t wait to get it back! I’m addicted to reefweeds art. 

Isnt it amazing how fast we accumulate equipment? It’s never ending.

• Like 3
40 minutes ago, Farmboyreef said:

Sweet! I like Instagram. I follow you as well. Knew you looked familiar. Yeah, can’t wait to get it back! I’m addicted to reefweeds art. 

Isnt it amazing how fast we accumulate equipment? It’s never ending.

Yep, it's a disease :lol:.

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, gena said:

Thank you!  I know!!!  I follow you on instagram.  I can't wait to see what Rachel does with your gumball machine :happydance:.  It's gonna glow :D

Alright....Reef Radiance par 38 bulb has been ordered as well.  I thought it'd be fun to have a collection of Par LED Bulbs :rolleyes:.  I think the only one left to order is the one @seabass has.  I'll try to hold out :lol:.

I'll have enough equipment to start another jar, by the time I'm done tweaking this one ;).  Good thing there isn't a spending limit with this contest.

The Reef Radiance will take a little time to get there which will give you time to try out the Tuna Blue.  You could probably email and tell them you're trying it out for the contest to see if they could send it a little faster.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Lula_Mae said:

The Reef Radiance will take a little time to get there which will give you time to try out the Tuna Blue.  You could probably email and tell them you're trying it out for the contest to see if they could send it a little faster.

It's shipping from California to California so hopefully it won't take too long!!!!!  The Tuna Blue is scheduled for delivery on Monday.  I was hoping to get this one even sooner, but maybe not.  It's free shipping so they probably will go the cheapest route possible.  I know before I'd get my Marine Depot packages sometimes next day.  Now with free shipping it takes like 5 days LOL.  I don't blame them since shipping is free.  Just wish it was free and fast :D.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, metrokat said:

Gena, what is that small yellow frag on the right side? Liptho?

Yep, it's a lithophyllon.  I got that from Legendary Corals.  It's my first.  I don't think it will grow very fast, but we'll have to wait and see :).  It seems to really love the jar so far.  I haven't glued it down yet and have already knocked it over a couple of times, but it's still happy.  I think I found an ideal spot for it where it's at now.

• Like 2
On October 15, 2017 at 4:58 PM, gena said:

I think I might try a new bulb :wacko:.  This one is 18 watts and that's all I could find "cheaply" in the color I wanted.  I want to see what 12 watts is like.  My zoas havent been opening fully and I don't know if that's light related or water quality related.  I did a water change today just in case.  And they opened a little bit more, but not like before.  I've also decreased my light cycle.  I was running 10 hour days.  I'm gonna try 8 hours.  The only cheap 12 watt I've been able to find so far is the Tuna Blue.  I'm going to keep looking but may end up with that.  Otherwise things are going fine.  Still sticking with the air pump for now.  Diatoms starting to show up....yuck :D.

Screen Shot 2017-10-15 at 4.50.00 PM

Screen Shot 2017-10-15 at 4.49.18 PM

Screen Shot 2017-10-15 at 4.49.31 PM

Screen Shot 2017-10-15 at 4.49.45 PM

That is one fine looking tank and it is only a couple of days old!  By March it should be awesome!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, gena said:

It's shipping from California to California so hopefully it won't take too long!!!!!  The Tuna Blue is scheduled for delivery on Monday.  I was hoping to get this one even sooner, but maybe not.  It's free shipping so they probably will go the cheapest route possible.  I know before I'd get my Marine Depot packages sometimes next day.  Now with free shipping it takes like 5 days LOL.  I don't blame them since shipping is free.  Just wish it was free and fast :D.

Yup, I'd shoot him an email and ask if he can get it out soon, I think the closeout stuff doesn't get prioritized as much lol.  Just explain aabout the contest and maybe he'll ship sooner. fingerscrossed

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, cnseekatz said:

Try to relax... my bowl isn't even wet yet!

Looking great as usual Gena. :)

Hahaha...you have nothing to worry about :D.  I've seen your build so far :bowdown:.

9 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

Yup, I'd shoot him an email and ask if he can get it out soon, I think the closeout stuff doesn't get prioritized as much lol.  Just explain aabout the contest and maybe he'll ship sooner. fingerscrossed

Ok, I will do that.  Thanks for the suggestion :)

• Like 1
10 hours ago, cnseekatz said:

Try to relax... my bowl isn't even wet yet!

Looking great as usual Gena. :)

Yeah, mine isn’t either. Still working on trying to make it watertight and here’s Gena, looking like her tank has been going for months. Holy hell. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
9 minutes ago, Farmboyreef said:

Yeah, mine isn’t either. Still working on trying to make it watertight and here’s Gena, looking like her tank has been going for months. Holy hell. 

da4ce31dbf99dc89d459ccde23ecabd9b469cf15

• Like 3
  • Haha 11

You guys are funny!!!!!  I got some really nice stuff at RAP!  Plus I pulled a few things from my 10 gallon so it just looks like it's months old.  It's really only like 11 days old :blush:.  You'll see.....these jars don't take much to make them look like adults when they are really just babies :D.

• Like 7

Today is tank cleaning day.  I made enough water to clean out the 10g as well as this pico.  I also fed the corals in here today, first time.  I fed frozen mysis...Blastos ate, candy canes ate, ricordeas ate and are all fat and plump as you'll see in the photo below.  I THINK the goni ate, but not positive.  Today I tried some Arctic copepods for the goni, that I had on hand from my last goniopora, a few years ago.  Foods probably not that fresh, but it's a powder so maybe it's still ok.  It was kept in a cool dark place.  Ummmmm...what else.  Oh, I also put in a couple of drops of Phytofeast that I got from RAP.   And lo and behold, my palys are opening up.  So now I'm wondering if maybe the water was too clean and that's why they were mad?????  If only they could talk :happy:

Feeding will be once a week.  And what fun to turn the air pump off and feed the corals with no one trying to steal the food omgomgomg I'm now leaning toward no inverts and just some bumble bee snails.  I don't like fighting shrimp and crabs when I feed my corals.  I may still get a candy stripe pistol shrimp though.  I don't think they will steal food as long as I feed him first.  Still thinking....

Screen Shot 2017-10-18 at 1.44.02 PM

Screen Shot 2017-10-18 at 1.46.14 PM

Oh and I'm going to add some turquoise trumpets to this jar later today when I do my water change.  I'm still moving things around.  I need more color at the top center....it's too blah right now :)

• Like 10

Looking good! I got a goniopora from RAP as well, but it is not doing so well. Moved it all around for different light/flow combos but nothing seems to be doing the trick. First day it opened up and after that it has been upset. 

Pistol shrimp would be cool. They just make their little caves and will take their food to-go.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, GunslingerGirl said:

LOL too blah. You silly.

Hahaha...but it is!  Or it WAS ;). I actually ran out to my awesome LFS to look at their acans.  I might have bought 2 colorful heads :D.  I had a credit and it covered it.  They also had bumble bee snails and I was gonna grab two and forgot.  Next time.

2 hours ago, SaltyBuddha said:

Looking good! I got a goniopora from RAP as well, but it is not doing so well. Moved it all around for different light/flow combos but nothing seems to be doing the trick. First day it opened up and after that it has been upset. 

Pistol shrimp would be cool. They just make their little caves and will take their food to-go.

Oh that's a bummer :(.  Do you remember who you got yours from?  I saw quite a few there  Mine is from Legendary Corals.  They had the only pink gonis that I noticed.  Did you put the goni in your pico or another tank?

yeah, I'm leaning heavily toward the pistol shrimp.  But we'll see.  I kinda like just focusing on corals and not critters.

Water change is done.  Palys are still open and happy again.  Either my moving the light up and shading things did the trick or making the tank dirty did the trick.  I will never know :D.

• Like 3

I think I got mine from legendary corals too but I see it as more of a red than pink. Some of the polyps were out today so I'm hoping for the best fingerscrossed it is in my IM10 for now

Still not sure if I want any inverts in my Pico either. Only time will tell!

• Like 1

It looks great Gena. I am thinking a light issue, The par lights are strong. I notice my zoas on the edge in lower light are bigger than those higher on the rock.  I'm using the 12 watt tuna blue. 8 hours a day, (and i had light issues)I also  reduced  from 10 hours to 8 and it helped.   I went through cyano period and large  w/c's  cleared it up.  The diatom phase passed quickly too. Your brave to try goniopora in there!  Best wishes.

• Like 2
14 hours ago, SaltyBuddha said:

I think I got mine from legendary corals too but I see it as more of a red than pink. Some of the polyps were out today so I'm hoping for the best fingerscrossed it is in my IM10 for now

Still not sure if I want any inverts in my Pico either. Only time will tell!

They actually had both.  They had red and pink.  So you probably grabbed the red.  That's promising that polyps are out!!!!! 

Yeah, I'm undecided.  I for sure will have a few bumble bee snails and most likely I'll get the pistol.  I'll make a trip to Vivid Aquariums in a few weeks.  I know they stock the candy stripe pistols.  I'm sure I'll see them and be like... OMG, I can't leave this place without one :lol:

6 hours ago, MarieH said:

It looks great Gena. I am thinking a light issue, The par lights are strong. I notice my zoas on the edge in lower light are bigger than those higher on the rock.  I'm using the 12 watt tuna blue. 8 hours a day, (and i had light issues)I also  reduced  from 10 hours to 8 and it helped.   I went through cyano period and large  w/c's  cleared it up.  The diatom phase passed quickly too. Your brave to try goniopora in there!  Best wishes.

Thanks, Marie!  Maybe it's a combination of lighting and being too clean.  I definitely think lighting is a big factor though.  So far no cyano but I do have some diatoms but they aren't getting worse...more like better. 

Hehehe...I'm not usually a risk taker but I figured, why not :D.  If it starts looking poorly, I'll take it to my LFS.

• Like 3