Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Creative Container Pico Contest - Official Announcement

Felicia

I'm totally down with giving everyone the one pass, but I do think it's going to be necessary to weed out those who didn't update their FTS in either November or December. I'm a pretty laid back person but rules are there for a reason! And it's not that I expect to win with my frag plug garden either lol.

• Like 4
23 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

I'm totally down with giving everyone the one pass, but I do think it's going to be necessary to weed out those who didn't update their FTS in either November or December. I'm a pretty laid back person but rules are there for a reason! And it's not that I expect to win with my frag plug garden either lol.

I agree, but it’s so unfortunate that some didn’t update theirs. For instance I don’t think Sugar Cube posted an update either month, and that’s an amazing pico. An upside down glass head tank is so cool! But it’s not fair for the people who followed the rules and keep up to date on FTS. I just don’t get why people didn’t pm their updates. I know people are busy- trust me, I am too- but it only takes 2 minutes to snap a pic and send it to Felicia. Doesn’t have to be perfect every month.

• Like 4
MainelyReefer

Not sure if it's been mentioned yet but this months Coral magazine is a really great read for us pico reefers.  Also would like to give a big congratulations to @brandon429 and @natalia_la_locafor making it in there(it's essentially like making it to the olympics of reefing)!  If any of you don't subscribe to Coral Magazine I highly reccomend it, but especially this edition as it showcases some of our own front and center for the whole industry to see!  

• Like 11
fishfreak0114
25 minutes ago, GraniteReefer said:

Not sure if it's been mentioned yet but this months Coral magazine is a really great read for us pico reefers.  Also would like to give a big congratulations to @brandon429 and @natalia_la_locafor making it in there(it's essentially like making it to the olympics of reefing)!  If any of you don't subscribe to Coral Magazine I highly reccomend it, but especially this edition as it showcases some of our own front and center for the whole industry to see!  

I just saw a preview of that article on Facebook!  Congratulations to both of you!  I’m anxiously waiting for my issue to arrive. 

• Like 2

Thank you both so much, I cannot wait for you to see Matt (editors) New pico reef = jeal

the number one thing I hope we pull off is turn on masses to jars 

give them plenty starting information, but it’s never enough, everyone seeks live time feedback on new approaches 

new to those not reefing here the last decade

so when ten thou new jar keepers hit the goog for jar info, where r they going to land based on key terms...here for the live times 

just ran a test, it’s nr.com and pj. Nice 

we all contribute takeaway ideas to each other's reefs in these live threads. Maritza convinced me to try straight bubbling without an airstone, and in 99% of ways I like it better (sound, still getting used to) and performance wise it dropped my evaporation even further for the same amnt of air going in, a plus. im on straight bubbling now. Natalia's thread I referenced so many times watching her control her algae, find different ways of boosting return on work, and then posting the hq pics. very high res stuff, her work I had linked into some big sps threads on R2R and they were amazed someone did top shelf corals in a little bubbling bowl

I truly have not seen the final version of the article, only my part. All the other contributors were successful techies :) who can use dropbox correctly heh. I was always lagging behind on tech, Matt (editor) and I could only trade via ms word document due to the high quality pc gear in my constellation and that means I only know my part. im truly excited to see it in full form.

we are going to have many New tank posts to tune, tweak and affect all live time in threads hopefully, new energy

working with others tanks online helps our own run smoother and more able to anticipate changes and challenges, I hope there is strong new momentum and energy for live time posts 

• Like 2

Hi everyone!  On the further extension for the December FTS's...trust me, I'm generally a stickler for the rules as a lot of people probably know from me vetoing lighting and such during the set-up phase.  However, I know I myself had a very hard time keeping up with Nano-Reef in December and so for this one month that includes holidays and family time, I want to give everyone just a bit more leeway.  For the rest of the monthly updates, I will be much more strict on the deadline.  I have a feeling that even with my extension, we will have a lot of attrition this month because a lot of those people are also missing a FTS from November.  However, there are a few active contestants that are missing a December FTS, and I want to give them a bit more time to stay in the competition.  Yes, it is a competition, but I did say from the get-go that there will be some flexibility in the deadline for the monthly FTS's.  Its about staying active throughout the competition, but I'm not going to set hard deadlines to rule out active participants because of holiday travel, family time, sickness, etc.  I'm pretty sure the non-active contestants will drop out all on their own and the active contestants tanks will really shine in the end.

All of the December FTS's are now posted in the FTS thread here:

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
ChristopherDido

@Felicia thank you for taking the time to explain.  It was very difficult for me this past month, I have stayed on top of it and posted a couple of pics and got the December in on Time, so I get it.  I was living with In-Laws and Tank was in Our House, where I couldn't be by it to often due to a malfunctioning furnace :-(  If I would have missed Jan 5 deadline because I was dealing with all that, being so busy trying to get my house back in working order I would have been upset that I put all that time in on the Pico and just lost out on the rest because of life getting a little Chaotic, so truly thank you.  I get all other points, as I said I posted mine on time even with traveling and the chaos of a malfunctioning heater in my house causing crazy jar temp swings, so yeah the extension you have just asked for I think should really be the end of it this month.  Just my 2 cents.  By the way loving all the picos!  I really hope to have more stuff in there this week, our house is back to normal!  I will be doing a water change today, its been 2 Weeks without one!!!! it was too cold in the house to even attempt a water change.  Glad to see so many still with it!  Keep Calm and Reef On!

• Like 4
tanacharison

I’m kinda shocked at how amazing the tanks are in this contest. It’s probably the coolest thing going on in reefing right now.B) The diversity of corals we are all using is definitely one of the best parts for me. I hope everyone sticks with the contest we have lots of great things going on other people can learn from. Thanks @Felicia for all the hard work! 

• Like 10
2 hours ago, tanacharison said:

I’m kinda shocked at how amazing the tanks are in this contest. It’s probably the coolest thing going on in reefing right now.B) The diversity of corals we are all using is definitely one of the best parts for me. I hope everyone sticks with the contest we have lots of great things going on other people can learn from. Thanks @Felicia for all the hard work! 

I agree tana, this contest has opened my eyes to all the things that can be done with a small container and a small budget.  Its really cool.

• Like 6
MainelyReefer

Just curious, which prize are you most interested in winning?

For me it has to be the Nanobox Pico Tide as it would be a perfect long term lighting solution for this tank and I would love to join the ranks of nanobox reefers,  however my wife is rooting for us to win the PJ Reefs seahorse tank for her office desk!  Hence why I update pretty regularly as she nags me to do so!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
MedievalITGuy
2 hours ago, GraniteReefer said:

While I would love to win any of the prizes, I mostly just joined the contest because it was a valid excuse to set up another pico :P I was very jealous of everyone in the last contest too, but I just couldn't afford the setup costs for a larger tank, so I was delighted when I logged in to find a pico contest had been created!

On 1/7/2018 at 7:42 PM, brandon429 said:

the number one thing I hope we pull off is turn on masses to jars 

I really hope this happens too. I think we're on the cusp of an explosion in pico popularity. I'm actually trying to develop a pico light for 1-2 gal tanks, because I think it's a really good time to get into that market. There are options available for lighting, but they're all either DIY, Chinese direct, or way overpowered, because they're designed for 10g+ tanks. I think that the next thing we're going to see in the industry, is a lot of these really cool reef products miniaturized to pico-proportions. Or at least that's what I hope!

• Like 8

It 100% time to be in the market. I myself am shopping, I need some additnl lighting for my reefbowl as the single angled Kessil from above left is shading too much down right...about to have to fork another 300 on + kessil I can aim from that side. I wish someone made a -nice looking- form factor mini led pico spotlight, within spectrum for corals, that could be used as this accessory lighting for dim spots.

I cannot have a par 30 clunker sitting next to a kessil, form factor man, get us form factor so it looks laser cool but not kessil cost.

• Like 2
MedievalITGuy
7 minutes ago, brandon429 said:

It 100% time to be in the market. I myself am shopping, I need some additnl lighting for my reefbowl as the single angled Kessil from above left is shading too much down right...about to have to fork another 300 on + kessil I can aim from that side. I wish someone made a -nice looking- form factor mini led pico spotlight, within spectrum for corals, that could be used as this accessory lighting for dim spots.

I cannot have a par 30 clunker sitting next to a kessil, form factor man, get us form factor so it looks laser cool but not kessil cost.

Well, this is what the prototype that I'm using on my pico bowl looks like. I'd be happy to put out a forum on how I put it together, if you want something soon, but there's a lot more work to make it a product. I can't very well start a business selling gutted ikea lights with WalMart external timers. Rightly, I should probably call this a proof-of-concept, not a prototype :P

I'm definitely with you on the cost part though. The end goal is for this thing to retail at, or below $50. In my head, that makes sense, but this whole launching a product thing is new to me, so we'll see how it ends up.

WPN3JtPyNvXybS7KM_2c3TeC_9oUlPv7e-iuK31H

• Like 5

Id call that svelte in fact

I don't like to assemble id rather buy when ready, darn good idea.  many would rather just plug n play yep.

Heaters too are a big deal

oceanbox design has a particular one w external controller ive got my eye on. im losing half my real estate trying to plant around a neotherm 50 in a one gallon.

• Like 1
MedievalITGuy
16 minutes ago, brandon429 said:

Lol, thanks. My wife is the one who inspired it though. Version 1 was affectionately called "when the heck are you going to get rid of that ugly thing next to the bed?!?!"

I'm aiming for the final product to have a similar appearance, but it's probably going to be slightly less sleek, as the bell on this isn't a big enough heatsink for the 12W LED that's in it (I've got it running somewhere between 50-60% power, I think), and the timer/driver will have to be incorporated into the base, instead of dangling off the cord (not shown here). Still, if anyone has to have one right now, I could probably knock out a couple more in the next few months (PM me if interested, don't want to clutter up the contest forum too much).

Edited by MedievalITGuy
  • Like 2
MainelyReefer
24 minutes ago, brandon429 said:

It's tiny but this light has the right spectrum and the LFS sells them around here and had one displayed on a pico, seems great for a little supplemental light and I will likely buy one come April 

Deep Blue Solarflare Micro LED Actinic Blue Light https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AXNQA3A/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_G3ovAbMDKY27M

for some reason amazon doesn't have a picture but a search on google should come up with one 

3 hours ago, GraniteReefer said:

For me it has to be the Nanobox Pico Tide as it would be a perfect long term lighting solution for this tank and I would love to join the ranks of nanobox reefers,  however my wife is rooting for us to win the PJ Reefs seahorse tank for her office desk!  Hence why I update pretty regularly as she nags me to do so!

I would not mind winning either of those prizes as they are both cool, in fact I like all the prizes.

• Like 3
42 minutes ago, MedievalITGuy said:

While I would love to win any of the prizes, I mostly just joined the contest because it was a valid excuse to set up another pico :P I was very jealous of everyone in the last contest too, but I just couldn't afford the setup costs for a larger tank, so I was delighted when I logged in to find a pico contest had been created!

I joined this contest for the same reason.  I wanted to share in the comraderie of doing something with other reefers and this was affordable since I already had a lot of what I needed.

It would be great if this contest inspires many aspiring reefers to give it a try!

• Like 5
55 minutes ago, vlangel said:

I joined this contest for the same reason.  I wanted to share in the comraderie of doing something with other reefers and this was affordable since I already had a lot of what I needed.

It would be great if this contest inspires many aspiring reefers to give it a try!

Same! I wanted to try something new and easy without the cost and commitment that a larger tank requires! I't just been hard to get things going around the holidays. I've traveled twice and been sick once so far during this contest! 

• Like 4
4 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

Same! I wanted to try something new and easy without the cost and commitment that a larger tank requires!

Yeah, cost was a factor for me too.  But a cheap tank, an inexpensive light and heater, and a few frags was doable.  I'll have to add up the costs, but I'm pretty sure that everything adds up to less than $200.

• Like 6

And they all said you must have 50g or larger for a reef.

This contest proves that you don't need to go big to have what you want. 

I'd love any prize but for me it is mostly the challenge to do a reef with the basics andt o be part of this very interesting event.

• Like 6

Yeah I wasn't even really aware of the prizes, but I love my Pico.  I'm always up for a DIY project and this was a fun and cheap  one. And it actually looks great. I get far more positive comments on it than my IM 25 even without fish. 

• Like 6

Glad to hear everyone is excited about the amazing prizes (We have such wonderful sponsors! :wub:) but also excited about the camaraderie of the contest and being able to show the world you can keep a successful reef in a very small volume of water.  It sure seems like there is a "Reef Bowl/Vase" revolution happening right now and I'd like to think we're all definitely part of it!  I'm also glad that our goal of making this an easy contest to enter (low cost and able to use equipment people already had on hand) was successful!  Thank you all for participating and the wonderful builds so far!

In contest news, the FTS thread is now updated with the few last stragglers from December.  Any contestants who missed both the November and December updates have now been disqualified from the contest.  There are still a bunch of contestants that missed the December FTS (but not November).  Those contestants have the opportunity to stay in the contest by sending me two FTS's for the January update.  Contestants can begin private messaging me their January FTS's whenever they are ready.  The soft deadline for January will be January 31st at 11:59 pm PST.  Please try your best to get me your FTS's by that deadline.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

Wow, that’s a lot of people out already, I really hate that. But scrolling through the ones still in is amazing, its so cool so see the variety of tanks, setups, Corals, lights, and designs compiled all together that were all inspired by this contest. Making history for sure!

• Like 6
On 1/9/2018 at 11:23 AM, brandon429 said:

I don't like to assemble id rather buy when ready, darn good idea.  many would rather just plug n play yep.

Heaters too are a big deal

oceanbox design has a particular one w external controller ive got my eye on. im losing half my real estate trying to plant around a neotherm 50 in a one gallon.

If it's the one I'm thinking of, I've got the 25w version in both my jar and my 5.5. I posted pics earlier in the thread of it demonstrating the size. Rock steady temps since day one, I've been very impressed.

ETA I got it from Aqua Forest Aquariums.

• Like 1
  • Christopher Marks unpinned this topic