Top Shelf Aquatics

Creative Container Pico Contest - Official Announcement

Felicia

18 hours ago, ChristopherDido said:

@pj86 thanks for the hard work on Pinterest, I never received an email. Did you still need help with it?

Yes. I'm planning on doing other albums, maybe like Best of Photos, or something along those lines. Let me PM you, I believe you are already a collaborator in the album, just need to decided what type of additional albums to create.

• Like 1
On 11/29/2017 at 12:37 PM, seabass said:

I've noticed that it's been awhile since some of the contestants have posted.  I'm looking forward to seeing more updates.

@Felicia, are you planning to allow any wiggle room on getting in monthly full tank shots?  In a way, I want as many contestants as possible (giving people some leeway).  In another way, I feel that everyone should be able to send in a pic once a month (and if you cant, then too bad).  Maybe we should give people something like one free pass.  Thoughts?

The plan right now is to allow some wiggle room on getting me the FTS each month because I know people may be traveling or something.  If your photo is late, I will work with you to get it and get it added to the FTS thread.  So basically, the deadline of when you get the photo to me each month is not set in stone.  However, you have to provide one FTS each month to qualify for the prizes at the end.  Hopefully 6-7 photos over 6 months isn't too much work. :lol:

• Like 3
13 hours ago, cnseekatz said:

Am I the only contestant who hasn't put added livestock yet?

I literally just got around to adding stuff and moved the whole tank upstairs. I didn't buy anything until the weekend after thanksgiving because I couldn't find much locally until the black friday sales and frag tank showed up at the LFS.

• Like 2

Ok, at the risk of sounding like a huge dork, I just wanted to thank everyone for the fun I'm having on this forum over the last couple of months.  I would have never tried a pico without learning about this contest and I'm having a blast with the secret Santa exchange as well.  I am also thrilled to get to look forward to learning to keep seahorses in @pj86 awesome new tank WHICH WAS JUST FUNDED ON KICKSTARTER!!  

You all make this a very welcoming online community and I want you to know it is appreciated not only by me but by my husband and friends who don't have to listen to me talk about fish as much at home!  :)  

Best,

Denise

• Like 10
On 11/30/2017 at 11:18 PM, Tamberav said:

I literally just got around to adding stuff and moved the whole tank upstairs. I didn't buy anything until the weekend after thanksgiving because I couldn't find much locally until the black friday sales and frag tank showed up at the LFS.

That’s exactly how I felt!  Now I just wish I had more room ?

So, anyone having so much fun with this that they are thinking about their next pico???  While I love the skull, it is hard enough to clean and loses enough viewing area that I will likely switch out containers after the contest.  With that said, I have loved, loved, loved having a dispenser spout for water changes.  Makes things really handy and you can flush things out the bottom.  

For fun, I poked around the intertubes today looking at beverage containers.  What do you all think of this one?  Seems like it hits all the marks - glass lid (skull had a metal one so I’m running open top), wide mouth for cleaning, etc. and dispenser that can be replaced if it leaks.  Also, no weird glass patterns or bends that would affect viewing.  Obviously, the stand would have to go but it’s a package deal.  

What do you all think?

EAC9745F-121E-48F9-A7D9-4DB3C41A8F96.jpeg

• Like 9
31 minutes ago, dmw913 said:

So, anyone having so much fun with this that they are thinking about their next pico???  While I love the skull, it is hard enough to clean and loses enough viewing area that I will likely switch out containers after the contest.  With that said, I have loved, loved, loved having a dispenser spout for water changes.  Makes things really handy and you can flush things out the bottom.  

For fun, I poked around the intertubes today looking at beverage containers.  What do you all think of this one?  Seems like it hits all the marks - glass lid (skull had a metal one so I’m running open top), wide mouth for cleaning, etc. and dispenser that can be replaced if it leaks.  Also, no weird glass patterns or bends that would affect viewing.  Obviously, the stand would have to go but it’s a package deal.  

What do you all think?

Reminds me of mine except round sides. I was going to use the dispenser for water changes but instead up the airline tube up it so I could have a cleaner look.

Good choice IMO though.

29 minutes ago, dmw913 said:

What do you all think?

I also am loving this pico contest and will definitely be keeping my coral and rockwork.  I don't know if it can come out of my jar or not once the coral grow.  Mine is not awful for viewing and not too bad to clean either, at least so far.  I have a couple of 5.5 gallon aquariums that might make a nice aio pico however and I could add some filtration.

MainelyReefer

This contest is awesome and my container will live on as long as possible, the light will have to go though(unless I can find an accent led after the comp that is reasonable). Do you think it's within competition rules to ask for an orphek actinic flashlight for Christmas and use that to accentuate my fluorescent corals during photographs only.  I figure the flashlight will leave no question to integrity as I'm certainly not going to stand there holding it all day buying tons of AA batteries haha.  after putting in some pricey acan frags who wants to look at their 35$ frag and not see it at it's best, I want to show it on the internet in all its glory!( might then have to join the filtered photo club). 

• Like 1
ChristopherDido
30 minutes ago, GraniteReefer said:

This contest is awesome and my container will live on as long as possible, the light will have to go though(unless I can find an accent led after the comp that is reasonable). Do you think it's within competition rules to ask for an orphek actinic flashlight for Christmas and use that to accentuate my fluorescent corals during photographs only.  I figure the flashlight will leave no question to integrity as I'm certainly not going to stand there holding it all day buying tons of AA batteries haha.  after putting in some pricey acan frags who wants to look at their 35$ frag and not see it at it's best, I want to show it on the internet in all its glory!( might then have to join the filtered photo club). 

I agree with you there! I love mine too and it's honestly kinda sad looking at it with no lights after I have to turn off the PAR38. Can we get an opinion on a "night light" or like what @GraniteReefer is asking about to show off for photos or when people come over to look at tank when outside the photo period?

Sad to say that I have taken down my bowl. Being that the bowl was my only saltwater tank I wanted more space for coral and a fish so I moved everything into a 7 gallon cube. 

• Sad 3
MainelyReefer
21 hours ago, ChristopherDido said:

I agree with you there! I love mine too and it's honestly kinda sad looking at it with no lights after I have to turn off the PAR38. Can we get an opinion on a "night light" or like what @GraniteReefer is asking about to show off for photos or when people come over to look at tank when outside the photo period?

While the orphek flashlight is a "nightlight" I want it because my light(20w cfl) doesn't have an actinic spectrum that makes corals glow, so the flashlight would enable me to capture photos on the level of people with par38's that are super blue.  Otherwise I'm going to have to buy a Par38 myself and that is super undesirable just to catch a picture. Atleast the flashlight could be used when Coral shopping during/after the comp so won't be a total loss. Here's a link to the flashlight 

Blue LED Multifunctional Flashlight Azurelite For Coral Night Feeding Colors Health Checking And Illumination - High Luminance - Powerful Focusing Beam - Convex Optic - 5 Watt Lifetime - 3 Modes https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KRNFOMI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_WMckAb1EBGFM4

@Felicia @Christopher Marks @pj86would this flashlight be acceptable for photography purposes only?

Attrition is not at all unusual.  However, it'd be nice if we have at least a couple of dozen contestants at the end.  I'm still hoping that some of the contestants just haven't updated there journals yet.

Speaking of full tank shots, (in case you haven't seen it yet) here's the thread: 

• Like 2
Christopher Marks
On 12/7/2017 at 2:35 AM, GraniteReefer said:

While the orphek flashlight is a "nightlight" I want it because my light(20w cfl) doesn't have an actinic spectrum that makes corals glow, so the flashlight would enable me to capture photos on the level of people with par38's that are super blue.  Otherwise I'm going to have to buy a Par38 myself and that is super undesirable just to catch a picture. Atleast the flashlight could be used when Coral shopping during/after the comp so won't be a total loss. Here's a link to the flashlight 

Blue LED Multifunctional Flashlight Azurelite For Coral Night Feeding Colors Health Checking And Illumination - High Luminance - Powerful Focusing Beam - Convex Optic - 5 Watt Lifetime - 3 Modes https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KRNFOMI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_WMckAb1EBGFM4

@Felicia @Christopher Marks @pj86would this flashlight be acceptable for photography purposes only?

I see the flashlight as temporary lighting only, due to its design, so I can’t think of any reason why it would be a problem to use one for photos. Go for it :) 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
flatlandreefer
3 hours ago, GraniteReefer said:

Wish 1/2 the contestants hadn't taken a once a month update so literally, what's going on?

I think a lot of people are taking things slow, I know my jar hasn't changed much in a week or two since I added my first corals. 

• Like 3

I know that for me, life has been crazy busy with several jobs and taking a grad class, so there really hasn't been much time for updates. Also, my pico hasn't changed much since starting, but I just received a grant for $100 to put corals in the tank and it is now officially in my classroom - so updates fairly soon :)

• Like 6

Mine is ugly similar to Metrokat's algae issues. I had the 2 snails I put in there die about the same time so algae grew a bunch and I lost a few frags. Just taking it slow to get things in the right path again. I also dislike the light I got, but not sure about a replacement as I am not sure this will live after 6 months. If I get in another month and can't stand it any longer I will be looking for a different bulb.

• Sad 1
flatlandreefer
10 hours ago, Boggers said:

Mine is ugly similar to Metrokat's algae issues. I had the 2 snails I put in there die about the same time so algae grew a bunch and I lost a few frags. Just taking it slow to get things in the right path again. I also dislike the light I got, but not sure about a replacement as I am not sure this will live after 6 months. If I get in another month and can't stand it any longer I will be looking for a different bulb.

I'm in the same boat, I dislike my par bulb, corals don't pop under it and there is defiantly disco effect very prominent on the rock work. I'm thinking I might go to a kessil h80 after the competition. Does anybody have a bulb that they really like? 

52 minutes ago, flatlandreefer said:

I'm in the same boat, I dislike my par bulb, corals don't pop under it and there is defiantly disco effect very prominent on the rock work. I'm thinking I might go to a kessil h80 after the competition. Does anybody have a bulb that they really like? 

What par bulb are you using ?

• Christopher Marks unpinned this topic