ReefCleaners.org

Creative Container Pico Contest - Official Announcement

Felicia

I do have a small flourescent lamp on my desk but I doubt there is a bulb that can support corals made to fit it, so PAR 38 it is.

2 minutes ago, Felicia said:

Awesome!  I hope your work will let you do a desk pico!

Looks like im headed to home goods for a new tank!

• Like 1

For anyone that needs equipment, Amazon Warehouse is awesome. I ordered this bulb- it'll be brand new in dented packaging, for 87% off  with free shipping. They have everything with deals like this, from when customers open the box and then return the item. :)

You can get your light, bubbler, and aquarium to get your Creative Container going  for ten bucks or less!

AoNjaig.png

For example air pumps are under $4 with free shipping :)

zKEpjku.png

• Like 2
8 hours ago, TheBig053 said:

Got it. I was lookong for a good excise to start a pico jar on my desk at work. Let mw confirm woth HR this is "okay" and I am in.

I want to do one for my work desk too, but not sure if allowed. They don't even allow toasters here!

My life at home is too chaotic to enjoy the peaceful nature of a pico.

• Like 1

For those of you who are scratching their heads on what to do, here are a few ideas that I was batting around:

Product DetailsProduct Details

Bubblegum machines

Coffee maker or decanter

Product Details Product Details

Mason jar or fermentation jar

I'm not planning on using any of these (or my shot glass tank); so feel free to use any of these, or just draw inspiration from them.

• Like 6
41 minutes ago, seabass said:

For those of you who are scratching their heads on what to do, here are a few ideas that I was batting around:

I really heavily thought about coffee pot or a large flask at one point, they both would look pretty awesome!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, seabass said:

Bubblegum machines

Coffee maker or decanter

Product Details Product Details

Mason jar or fermentation jar

I'm not planning on using any of these (or my shot glass tank); so feel free to use any of these, or just draw inspiration from them.

I'd like to add one of my attempts at a FW pico jar for another Idea. It's one of those Starbucks mocha bottles you can get at the grocery store, it could have turned out awesome had I not forgot about it lol.

IMG_3716.JPG

34 minutes ago, JoeR said:

I'd like to add one of my attempts at a FW pico jar for another Idea. It's one of those Starbucks mocha bottles you can get at the grocery store, it could have turned out awesome had I not forgot about it lol.

I use these to culture phyto:

Image result for hawaiian punch

They work out pretty well, but building a reef, would be like constructing a ship in a bottle.  Still, I could see it working for somebody.  I bet you could even build a rockscape with some pond foam and rock rubble.

Or maybe something fancier:
image.jpeg.f9ac9587a91cc8499c4db5eb8cc1266c.jpegImage result for glass jug

Of course, you'd eventually have to break or cut the bottle to get the corals out.
  • Like 1
fishfreak0114
18 minutes ago, HarryPotter said:

Delivered as late as November 8th :unsure:

Yah, I'm trying to do this on the cheaper side of things, so I figure I'll be ordering a bulb from China.  I couldn't find any cheap par38's up here, ABI tuna blue is like $80 on amazon!  Is the one I linked bright enough though?

Ok guys! I’m joining the rest of you in this journey. I’ll start my tank build in a bit - I picked out my container today and will post up some vids of the selection process. In the meantime, here’s one that didn’t make the cut. I kept knocking into stuff. You can’t take a farmer into the breakable section....

4900B6FC-27EB-4DC3-89EF-E780CB466C65.jpeg

• Haha 7
  • Wow 3
5 hours ago, seabass said:

I use these to culture phyto:

Image result for hawaiian punch

They work out pretty well, but building a reef, would be like constructing a ship in a bottle.  Still, I could see it working for somebody.  I bet you could even build a rockscape with some pond foam and rock rubble.

Or maybe something fancier:
image.jpeg.f9ac9587a91cc8499c4db5eb8cc1266c.jpegImage result for glass jug

Of course, you'd eventually have to break or cut the bottle to get the corals out.

I legitimately considered doing one ship-in-a-bottle style while looking at them in hobby lobby, they have several bottles that would be absolutely stunning. Decided it wasn't worth the heartache, but would be super awesome. Could easily do a macro dominated tank in one. Just glue a bunch of ruble prices together after stuffing them inside, then some sand, a few macros and off it goes

This is what I have in mind. Should I give this one a go, or the spherical jar I posted earlier next to a milk jug? Probably about the same volume, this ones a little smaller but has a cool concrete stand.. $14

IMG_3719.JPG

• Like 6

The coffee pot is one of my options I am seriously considering and it was one of my first ideas when this contest was announced, just not sure what I'll go with yet?! It's been really excited to see everyones ideas and this is going to be super fun!

• Like 2
1 hour ago, JoeR said:

I legitimately considered doing one ship-in-a-bottle style while looking at them in hobby lobby, they have several bottles that would be absolutely stunning. Decided it wasn't worth the heartache, but would be super awesome. Could easily do a macro dominated tank in one. Just glue a bunch of ruble prices together after stuffing them inside, then some sand, a few macros and off it goes

This is what I have in mind. Should I give this one a go, or the spherical jar I posted earlier next to a milk jug? Probably about the same volume, this ones a little smaller but has a cool concrete stand.. $14

Ship in bottle reef, in bottle.

• Like 2
fishfreak0114
2 minutes ago, vlangel said:

I hope so because I ordered one.

hopefully you get it quick!  I'm pretty sure I want in on this contest, so I'd better order it now. 

4 hours ago, seabass said:

100617a.jpg

Hey, you have joined the Walmart/Target cookie jar club!

3 hours ago, Orangutran said:

Woohoo I'm in!

Hey, I am happy to see you participating!

2 hours ago, Sharbuckle said:

Okay this is cool! I’m in :) 

Hooray!

• Like 2
  • Christopher Marks unpinned this topic