ReefCleaners.org

Creative Container Pico Contest - Official Announcement

Felicia

Need to get my condiment yet... Didn't see anyone doing a super shallow container.... 

Will be a top down view reef to add something different and a unique view to this wacky contest! 

IMG_20171005_190318.jpg

• Like 10
  • Wow 2
20 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Need to get my condiment yet... Didn't see anyone doing a super shallow container.... 

Will be a top down view reef to add something different and a unique view to this wacky contest! 

IMG_20171005_190318.jpg

Beat me to it!

Tom@HaslettMI
1 hour ago, Coral_chef said:

Is anyone doing dwarf seahorse in their pico?

I've been going back and forth on joining the contest. If I do dwarf seahorses are on my short list of options. 

Tom

• Like 4
8 minutes ago, Tom@HaslettMI said:

I've been going back and forth on joining the contest. If I do dwarf seahorses are on my short list of options. 

Tom

Would love to see this. Almost went with them in my IM14 but chickened out. Maybe you'll convince me to convert it!

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Coral_chef said:

Is anyone doing dwarf seahorse in their pico?

Im doing them for my new kickstarter. ;)

If I wasn't co-hosting I would probably participate with them.

Also that is one of the pico contest prizes.

• Like 4
Tom@HaslettMI
3 minutes ago, pj86 said:

Im doing them for my new kickstarter. ;)

If I wasn't co-hosting I would probably participate with them.

Also that is one of the pico contest prizes.

Any idea where one might find captive bred dwarfs?

3 minutes ago, Tom@HaslettMI said:

Any idea where one might find captive bred dwarfs?

There are very few places, that is why I want to start a breeding facility for them, a species specific product and also a good protocol. 

Here is a good list of places that currently sell seahorses, some may carry captive bred dwarf seahorses.

https://fusedjaw.com/aquariumcare/seahorse-and-pipefish-sources/

I suggest also reading on their special needs, as a air lines can cause bubble pouch disease. Also, they are very prone to bacterial infections, hence they need some form of filtration. The hardest part is the daily feeding which can be overcome with the little feeding mechanism I invented. 

1 hour ago, Tamberav said:

IMG_20171005_190318.jpg

I already see the brightly colored zoanthids 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, seabass said:

Clarification needed.  I assume that any regular household screw-in bulb is also acceptable.

Also, in the spirit of this restriction, I would guess that these 55W LEDs would be frowned upon.  Should there be a 24W limit?

I think even the 24w would bleach the heck out of anything unless it were suspended waaaay high lol.  Snow-white coral tank, anyone? :lol:

4 hours ago, Coral_chef said:

all the cool tanks are being swooped up!

Hey, you know how awesome it is to see what people do differently with the same tank!

3 hours ago, seabass said:

:lol:  Here it is:  https://www.nano-reef.com/forums/topic/385935-seabasss-creative-container-pico/

Since I'm not doing the shot glass tank, I'm not included in the list of contestants until I post the actual container I'll be using for the contest.  I still haven't decided what I'm going to do.  I have some stuff in a shopping cart, but I haven't pulled the trigger yet. :unsure:

Buy all the things? :D

• Like 2
37 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

I think even the 24w would bleach the heck out of anything unless it were suspended waaaay high lol.  Snow-white coral tank, anyone? :lol:

Hey, you know how awesome it is to see what people do differently with the same tank!

Buy all the things? :D

I have a 24w bulb, I'm gonna try it but it will be high.?

2 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

I have a 24w bulb, I'm gonna try it but it will be high.?

Haha good luck, I think if you have a really tall lamp you'd be fine, but one of the desktop task lamps probably couldn't get it high enough without a screen or diffuser of some sort.

19 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

Haha good luck, I think if you have a really tall lamp you'd be fine, but one of the desktop task lamps probably couldn't get it high enough without a screen or diffuser of some sort.

It's a tall floor lamp. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Tamberav said:

IMG_20171005_190318.jpg

Great idea, so many corals look best top down anyway!

1 hour ago, Tamberav said:

omgomgomg

Love the shallow container!  I've got your official announcement and will post the link to your build thread in the first post of this thread.

1 hour ago, Clown79 said:

My Pico build

Beautiful container!  I've got your official entry and will add the link to your build thread to the first post in this thread.

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, TheBig053 said:

Sorry, maybe reading comprehension has failed me, but do I have to use the PAR 38 bulb? I have my extra fluval LED strip layong around. 

For the competition, the lighting must be a single bulb (LED or fluorescent) that fits into a household E26/27 type socket.  Unfortunately, a Fluval LED strip would not qualify for the competition.

My understanding from reading the rules is that anything that screws into a standard household light socket (LED or CFL) will work. I'll let the judges clarify...

• Like 1
Just now, Rene said:

My understanding from reading the rules is that anything that screws into a standard household light socket (LED or CFL) will work. I'll let the judges clarify...

Thank you, Rene!  That's exactly right.

1 minute ago, TheBig053 said:

Got it. I was lookong for a good excise to start a pico jar on my desk at work. Let mw confirm woth HR this is "okay" and I am in.

Awesome!  I hope your work will let you do a desk pico!

• Like 1
  • Christopher Marks unpinned this topic