Coral Vue Hydros

Creative Container Pico Contest - Official Announcement

Felicia

6 minutes ago, tanacharison said:

I'm all in... 

Yay!  Another entry!  Adding your name and a link to your build thread to the contestants list in the first post of this thread.  :D

• Like 2

I Wana enter with this... as I have a par light already and the jar is £12 (uk) now my question is will the par bulb be enough to heat the tank and wat do you guys think of air stones for water movement? 

10AC26F8-120E-48F9-9FB5-E7029E4AB6B6.jpeg

MainelyReefer

No chemical filtration means no H2O2 treatments right?  Also really glad we can use a CFL, anyone know of any other brands than the coralife 50/50? Just ordered the 20w version

5 hours ago, Lynton said:

I Wana enter with this... as I have a par light already and the jar is £12 (uk) now my question is will the par bulb be enough to heat the tank and wat do you guys think of air stones for water movement? 

10AC26F8-120E-48F9-9FB5-E7029E4AB6B6.jpeg

YUM!

• Haha 1
16 hours ago, seabass said:

shotglass2.jpg  shotglass3.jpg

Here's my official journal thread:

Glad someone is trying for the smallest pico!  My wife and I were discussing this last night. 

• Like 1
23 hours ago, GraniteReefer said:

You see how high up it was positioned over the tank? Light spill city, I have a baby who likes to stare at lights when they are hung in such a way so a dimmable kessil has real value, I have the ABI Tuna Blue 12w on prime order though maybe I will figure out a way to limit the spill, its ability to grow corals is not under question just it's over all desirability, the best par bulb is 129$ from what I can find so I could buy the kessil for equivalent money, plus I own the kessil already so it's zero extra input but 25$ isn't a game changer anyways

Sorry, when you called them low quality disco lights, it seemed like the implication was that it was a poor choice for coral growing.  Apologies for misunderstanding your intention.  That said, there are several PAR bulbs that have wider optics than the ABI bulbs.  My Coral Compulsion bulb and my Reef Radiance bulbs all have wider angle lenses and thus can be placed closer to the water level.  You could also try using a large shade and angling the light towards the wall, or getting one of the dimmable bulbs. I saw you posted about ordering the 20w CFL bulb, it's about 8-10" long so you'll want to find a good lamp that lets you angle it horizontally over your container. :)

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Clown79 said:

You can enter until Oct 31st

Thank you!!!  I just looked back and saw that after you mentioned it.  I saw October 2nd first and stopped there :) 

GunslingerGirl

Aw man! I need to start thinking about this. Ghetto-rigged is my favorite type of saltwater.

If there is a contest for most expensive I have a Waterford vase I got for a wedding gift I have no use for lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Picked my "container" up on my lunch break:

23664578918_29dd5b44dc_h.jpg

Edited: better picture.

I had plans to leave it right side up, but I don't think it will happen. I'll figure out how to work it upside down, and may try to make the glass a little more clear.

Build thread:

• Like 6
12 minutes ago, schgr.cube said:

Picked my "container" up on my lunch break:

23664578918_62813d5315_h.jpg

I had plans to leave it right side up, but I don't think it will happen. I'll figure out how to work it upside down, and may try to make the glass a little more clear.

Build thread:

Very cool! I can't wait to see what you do with this! I'll add the link to your build thread to the contestants list at the bottom of the first post of this thread.

On 10/2/2017 at 12:08 PM, Felicia said:

1 Single PAR LED bulb or fluorescent bulb with an E26/E27 socket screw type in a light fixture of your choice.  Your single bulb may be of any wattage or any color temperature.  (Note:  This rule has been modified to allow a single fluorescent bulb that fits in a standard household light fixture as an alternative to a single par LED bulb.)

Clarification needed.  I assume that any regular household screw-in bulb is also acceptable.

Also, in the spirit of this restriction, I would guess that these 55W LEDs would be frowned upon.  Should there be a 24W limit?

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, seabass said:

Clarification needed.  I assume that any regular household screw-in bulb is also acceptable.

Also, in the spirit of this restriction, I would guess that these 55W LEDs would be frowned upon.  Should there be a 24W limit?

I feel like coral bleaching will be a problem with high wattage par bulbs. Even with the 24W ones there is a possibility of over doing it. 

• Like 3
4 hours ago, seabass said:

Any single LED or fluorescent bulb that fits in a standard household screw in socket is fine.

The 55 Watt LEDs are technically allowed, but very excessive for this.  There is no wattage restriction.  Just that it must be a single bulb (LED or fluorescent) that fits in standard E26/E27 household sockets.

• Thanks 1
27 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

where's your thread!!!

:lol:  Here it is:  https://www.nano-reef.com/forums/topic/385935-seabasss-creative-container-pico/

Since I'm not doing the shot glass tank, I'm not included in the list of contestants until I post the actual container I'll be using for the contest.  I still haven't decided what I'm going to do.  I have some stuff in a shopping cart, but I haven't pulled the trigger yet. :unsure:

• Like 1
  • Christopher Marks unpinned this topic