Pod Your Reef

Creative Container Pico Contest - Official Announcement

Felicia

MainelyReefer
1 hour ago, Lula_Mae said:

Have you seen Natalia's bowl (linked early on in the thread)?  Low-quality lights don't grow corals that nicely. ;)  A 12W bulb would be more than sufficient for the tanks in this contest (Natalia has hers a good 18" above the water line).  I'm not sure what sort of safety data you're looking for but...it's a light bulb, in a lamp.  People have used these PAR bulbs for years with 0 issues, same as any other lamp.  I think you'd be more in danger of knocking a Kessil into the water than having safety issues from a PAR bulb.  Keep it out of the water and you'll be fine lol.  Anyway, I think a $100+ light would kind of defeat the purpose of a contest focusing on simple, inexpensive equipment. :)

My PAR bulbs are nice and shimmery, too, no disco effect at all!

You see how high up it was positioned over the tank? Light spill city, I have a baby who likes to stare at lights when they are hung in such a way so a dimmable kessil has real value, I have the ABI Tuna Blue 12w on prime order though maybe I will figure out a way to limit the spill, its ability to grow corals is not under question just it's over all desirability, the best par bulb is 129$ from what I can find so I could buy the kessil for equivalent money, plus I own the kessil already so it's zero extra input but 25$ isn't a game changer anyways

10 hours ago, Felicia said:

Glad you want to join in the contest!  Par bulbs are just a specific type of reef LED light lighting and not the same thing as Photosynthetically Active Radiation (aka PAR), which is a measure of the amount of light usable by corals.  Par bulbs look like this:

par38full14k_nondimmable_grande.png?v=14

They come in a variety of wattages (i.e. 14 watt, 24 watt) and color temperatures (i.e. 14000 K, 18000 K, 22000 K).  They have a standard size bulb base so that they screw into standard light fixtures.  Specific mounts are sold for them, but a lot of people just use inexpensive desk or task light fixtures for them.  For example:

41cM6xJaRHL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

They're an inexpensive lighting option that is great for really small tanks, such as the containers for this contest, which is why we selected these as the lighting.  Basically, you are just limited to a single one of this type of bulb (in any wattage or color temperature you would like) instead of being able to use things like Radion, Kessil, AI, fluorescent, or metal halide fixtures.  Hopefully this helps clarify!  You can purchase PAR bulbs like this from the Nano-Reef sponsors Coral Compulsion or Bulk Reef Supply.  They are also available on Amazon (example linked).

Awesome thank you! The thought did cross my mind that PAR was actually a brand of bulb but just wanted to make sure. I will look into grabbing one from BRS. 

• Like 2

Awesome!  I just noticed this thread.  Hell yes I'm in!

On 10/2/2017 at 12:08 PM, Felicia said:

Shared a photo of your dry pico container in your journal with your favorite condiment inside.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
Christopher Marks

:lol: @seabass

So many exciting entries already, this is awesome!

Spread the word around the community! Share a link to the announcement with anyone you think might want join in!

Just copy this address: https://www.nano-reef.com/forums/topic/385872-creative-container-pico-contest-official-nano-reef-contest/

And when you share it on the forum it will appear like this:

• Like 3
  • Christopher Marks changed the title to Creative Container Pico Contest - Official Announcement
6 hours ago, Weetabix7 said:

You could have it shipped to me and I will ship to you as long as you cover shipping costs. 

You are very awesome and I may sometime ask you to do that if tou really don't mind. (I have been looking at a way to get intank media baskets to here, but no success so far). 

2 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

As long as your equipment is similar, you can still participate! The container and heater and air pump or circulation pump can be any kind. Finding an appropriate LED bulb will be the hardest part, but I’m sure we could track down a European supplier for you! eBay is a possibility: https://m.ebay.nl/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m4084.l1313&_nkw=Par38+led+reef 

Thank you very much! I will see if I can find a supplier for that light bulb.

• Like 4
2 hours ago, GraniteReefer said:

You see how high up it was positioned over the tank? Light spill city, I have a baby who likes to stare at lights when they are hung in such a way so a dimmable kessil has real value, I have the ABI Tuna Blue 12w on prime order though maybe I will figure out a way to limit the spill, its ability to grow corals is not under question just it's over all desirability, the best par bulb is 129$ from what I can find so I could buy the kessil for equivalent money, plus I own the kessil already so it's zero extra input but 25$ isn't a game changer anyways

I know coral compulsion used to make dimmable par bulbs and other companies too. I would try and put a post on hardware forums looking for a used one because I totally understand not wanting to spend a lot of $ on a bowl you will probably upgrade once the contest is over. Just an idea.

Otherwise maybe making a nice box around it to prevent spill or finding a super oversize shade (one that wont trap heat).

• Like 5

The only thing I am not a fan of is no ability to run carbon, makes it difficult to mix SPS with softies and with such a tiny water volume, any contaminates in the air could be an issue. It makes me nervous to try 0.3 gal system without carbon, thinking dropping a bag passively near the bubbler would still not be allowed?

Mines in a 2 gal cookie jar from walmart ... not very original but i chose funtionality over oddness when i first got into it haha 

(Four pictures on the post)

• Like 2
MainelyReefer

Am I allowed to make a custom AIO insert and run filter floss? I prefer a pump over an air driven system and having a hideaway for equipment would rock.

2 minutes ago, GraniteReefer said:

Am I allowed to make a custom AIO insert and run filter floss? I prefer a pump over an air driven system and having a hideaway for equipment would rock.

From first post:  Sumps, mechanical filtration (internal or external), skimmers, auto-dosing systems, etc. are not permitted.

I would think this would be no AIO inserts as well as that would be mechanical filtration.

• Like 4
MainelyReefer
5 minutes ago, Boggers said:

From first post:  Sumps, mechanical filtration (internal or external), skimmers, auto-dosing systems, etc. are not permitted.

I would think this would be no AIO inserts as well as that would be mechanical filtration.

Does this mean no sponge filter on the air line due to that being mechanically driven and the filter being the sponge? Just trying to design this in my head and do it differently than has been documented as that is creative

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, GraniteReefer said:

Does this mean no sponge filter on the air line due to that being mechanically driven and the filter being the sponge? Just trying to design this in my head and do it differently than has been documented as that is creative

I would say no, but not a judge:

@Felicia

@Christopher Marks

@pj86

2 hours ago, Tamberav said:

The only thing I am not a fan of is no ability to run carbon, makes it difficult to mix SPS with softies and with such a tiny water volume, any contaminates in the air could be an issue. It makes me nervous to try 0.3 gal system without carbon, thinking dropping a bag passively near the bubbler would still not be allowed?

I'm leaning towards no, since we said no filtration, but since it would be passive, its a bit of a grey area.  I'll check with my co-hosts and we'll come back with a definitive answer on this.

35 minutes ago, metrokat said:

Maybe I missed it. Can it be a freshwater pico?

Hmmm....I guess based on the rules that that wouldn't be against the rules.  Could be fun to mix it up.  I'll inquire with my co-hosts and get back to you with a ruling. :)

44 minutes ago, GraniteReefer said:

32 minutes ago, GraniteReefer said:

These are both a no since mechanical filtration is not allowed.  This contest is about using minimal equipment and focusing more just on the basics.  Good water parameters can be maintained through water changes.  Water changes are especially easy in these containers, since you can do large (even 100%) water changes very easily because its a small volume of water.  We want to see what you all can do without relying heavily on technology.  Think of it as going old school. :)

• Like 2
  • Christopher Marks unpinned this topic