ReefCleaners.org

Creative Container Pico Contest - Official Announcement

Felicia

47 minutes ago, Friendly said:

don't worry. I'm the winner.  B)   

Wait, which one is yours again?! :D lol

i think we all know I’m going to be the winner here, that is- after my plans come together...

43 minutes ago, seabass said:

Any word on where we need to post FTS to?  Will we be sending private messages to @Felicia to be posted into a locked thread?  Are they due by the end of each month?

All wonderful questions!  The first set of FTS's were your empty container with condiment photos to enter.  Those were due in this thread by October 31st.  The next FTS will be due the last day of November, and then on the last day of each month until the contest is over.  I need to work out a system for how we'll do the FTS's.  Likely you'll be pm'ing them to me and I'll be posting them in a locked thread for viewing, but not commenting.  Let me work out the details and then I'll make a big announcement of what to do with the first set of FTS's for this month.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4
On 11/5/2017 at 11:30 AM, pj86 said:

@vlangel Yes, the magnetized artemia makes it easy to feed them. Here is a video detailing the feeding method. I also hope hobbyist use the Magnetized container for a way to feed pico aquariums, and tiny gobies. 

I need this!! I really want a dwarf seahorse tank and this will really help with the feeding

i also just want the feeder

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, pj86 said:

Does anyone use Pinterest?

I've been slowly pinning all the pictures that contestants have posted up to now. I definitely would appreciate any help, I can make you a collaborator and we can divide up the pinning. 

Here is the album so everyone can see the progress of contestants through photos only.

https://www.pinterest.com/pjreefs/nano-reef-creative-container/

so awesome!

Don't bother with mine, it broke already.

• Sad 1
5 minutes ago, Draco said:

so awesome!

Don't bother with mine, it broke already.

Are you going to try to get the same container? I haven't discussed this scenario with the other moderators, but I think we said we would review it in a base-to-base scenario.

• Like 2
46 minutes ago, pj86 said:

Are you going to try to get the same container? I haven't discussed this scenario with the other moderators, but I think we said we would review it in a base-to-base scenario.

I can get another container, the same one. The light fell on top of it and caused it to crack. thankfully it didn't break everywhere!

let me know if I can get another container. I don't want to go out if you guys decide on no (Which would be OK, Pico is a lot of work, especially when I am setting up my 9 gal tank at the same time)

ChristopherDido
4 hours ago, pj86 said:

Does anyone use Pinterest?

I've been slowly pinning all the pictures that contestants have posted up to now. I definitely would appreciate any help, I can make you a collaborator and we can divide up the pinning. 

Here is the album so everyone can see the progress of contestants through photos only.

https://www.pinterest.com/pjreefs/nano-reef-creative-container/

Following! I'm on Pinterest Christopher Michael is my name

So officially I was able to gather all the pictures in one place. A total of 305 pictures so far, wow!

I also followed everyone's threads so I can keep the pictures current. After seeing all the pictures I must say that the contest is looking great. I'm really liking the creativity and enthusiasm.

Each picture should link back to the source, so you can easily go and comment on each person thread. 

Pinterest Pico Creative Container Contest Album 

https://pin.it/X2lBf_t

@ChristopherDido I added you as a collaborator. I'll PM you with instructions. 

If anyone else wants to become a collaborator let me know.

• Like 3
  • Wow 1
  • Thanks 4
ChristopherDido
3 hours ago, pj86 said:

Pinterest Pico Creative Container Contest Album 

https://pin.it/X2lBf_t

@ChristopherDido I added you as a collaborator. I'll PM you with instructions. 

If anyone else wants to become a collaborator let me know.

Thanks!  I just saw that, I'll wait for your PM with instructions, let me know what I can do!

Thank you, Paul! For all the non-Pinterest users (like my old school self :lol:) we're working on the most elegant/simple solution to post all the FTS's for the contest here on NR. Announcements will be coming soon with how we will be handling the required monthly FTS's. Thanks for your patience everyone!

Also, it seems from the general feedback that everyone thinks it's fair to let anyone who's container breaks re-enter if they use the exact same container. I guess that does basically seem like a 100% water change. I think as long as you just move everything into a new identical container, then that should be fine. So let's go ahead and make that a rule. If your container breaks, you may replace it with an identical container and remain in the competition. @Draco

• Like 7

thanks Felicia! Sounds very fair to replace with an identical piece :)

I've decided to sit this one out. While it's a lot of fun, it is a lot of work, lol. I just set up my 9 gal nano cube so I'll be focusing on that for the time being. I honestly can't see myself running this little pico for 6 months, too much work!

• Like 1
  • Sad 3
On 11/11/2017 at 4:50 PM, Felicia said:

Thank you, Paul! For all the non-Pinterest users (like my old school self :lol:) we're working on the most elegant/simple solution to post all the FTS's for the contest here on NR. Announcements will be coming soon with how we will be handling the required monthly FTS's. Thanks for your patience everyone!

Also, it seems from the general feedback that everyone thinks it's fair to let anyone who's container breaks re-enter if they use the exact same container. I guess that does basically seem like a 100% water change. I think as long as you just move everything into a new identical container, then that should be fine. So let's go ahead and make that a rule. If your container breaks, you may replace it with an identical container and remain in the competition. @Draco

Soooooo I was about to message you :tears::tears::tears:. Luckily my reef is technically on the lid and not actually in the jar haha. I guess I'm off to michaels again <_<.

On another note that is the the fastest water change I have ever done on a tank. Just chop the thing in half and boom done. 

u8ZVsRK.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 4
8 minutes ago, TFish77 said:

Soooooo I was about to message you :tears::tears::tears:. Luckily my reef is technically on the lid and not actually in the jar haha. I guess I'm off to michaels again <_<.

On another note that is the the fastest water change I have ever done on a tank. Just chop the thing in half and boom done. 

u8ZVsRK.jpg

I can't believe you are able to keep a sense of humor after that!

41 minutes ago, TFish77 said:

Since that worked out so well for you, I think you should buy 20 of them at Michaels.  One for each water change.

Business idea: You know how they sell 5 gallon boxes of NSW?  How about a disposable tank (water and tank in one).  When it's time for a water change, just plop the inhabitants (rock and livestock) into the new tank and dispose of the old water and tank.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
3 hours ago, vlangel said:

I can't believe you are able to keep a sense of humor after that!

NRF1e4G.png

In all seriousness things could have been much worse. Luckily it happened while I was doing some work on the tank so the lid was in its temporary water change container and the jar was sitting beside it. I tripped on a cord moving stuff around which pulled the old biowheel 180 pump into the tank and cracked the thing right in half. 

With as much stuff can go wrong with any aquarium let alone these little picos I like to think I came out pretty lucky :lol:. Back up and running now! 

Porollx.jpg

2 hours ago, seabass said:

Since that worked out so well for you, I think you should buy 20 of them at Michaels.  One for each water change.

Business idea: You know how they sell 5 gallon boxes of NSW?  How about a disposable tank (water and tank in one).  When it's time for a water change, just plop the inhabitants (rock and livestock) into the new tank and dispose of the old water and tank.

hahah honestly as I was walking out the door I thought to myself I probably should have bought a few more of these just in case this ever happens in the middle of the night. I think I may go back tomorrow and get another just in case. Lets hope I don't have to use it. 

• Like 8

There are less than two weeks remaining in November, and some people will be away for Thanksgiving.  So I think we should make a call on monthly full tank shots.

I personally think a normal thread dedicated to them is just fine (just like the last contest).  We can ask to keep banter to a minimum, but a few comments won't ruin anything.

My bigger concern has always been the voting thread.  That thread/poll should be clean, with just a summary, ending FTS, and a link to the build thread for each contestant that is still in the contest.  However, we still have a few months to figure that one out.

• Like 1

Important Contest Announcement!

Alright everyone, we've come up with a plan for how we'll handle the FTS's throughout the competition.  We will be starting a topic/thread within the pico forum that will contain the monthly FTS's throughout the competition and will be locked for editing so it won't get cluttered with discussion.  I will make a post for each month and will post all of the FTS's.  Each photo will be linked to the tank thread so you can easily go find more photos and get involved in discussion.  For each month, each contestant will get ONE FTS in the FTS thread.

In order to make sure your FTS's make it into the thread each month, you will need to PM me your FTS and a link to your build thread sometime before the end of the month each month.  The end of the month will be 11:59:59 pm on the last day of the month.  Please try to get your FTS and build thread link to me by that deadline each month.  However, we will provide a couple days leeway as needed since we know people may have travel or other extenuating circumstances throughout the competition.  

For November, please PM me a single FTS from this month along with a link to your build thread by the end of November 30th.

I will hopefully get the thread started tomorrow with the first set of FTS's from October, which will be each of the empty container/condiment photos from your entry.  No need to pm those to me, I will gather them from this thread and your build threads.

• Like 10
  • Christopher Marks unpinned this topic