Top Shelf Aquatics

Creative Container Pico Contest - Official Announcement

Felicia

1 hour ago, Han Solo said:

I'd really like to join in but I just saw this thread today and am not going to be able to source anything until the end of the week or so. Can we extend the deadline? :/

@Han Solo, you don't need anything but a jar and a condiment.  In a pinch, head to Walmart (open 24/7 in many areas) and pick something up.  A number of us are using a 2 gallon cookie jar that you can buy at Walmart.  Heck, you probably have something in your home that you could use.  You don't need a light, pump, or anything else.

• Like 3

Alright, the contest is now closed to new entries!

Wow!  The participation for the contest is outstanding!  We flew right past 50 contestants in the last hours!  I am super excited to see how all these various pico reefs develop.  Thank you all for being so excited for the contest! :happydance:omgomgomg

I see all the new entries and will work on getting them all linked into the first post of this thread tomorrow.  I'm still up writing a report for work...its been one of those weeks, so I won't get to it tonight.  I'll get all caught up though and then I'll talk to Christopher Marks about creating a locked FTS thread for the contest.

@Christopher Marks

• Like 10

So last night while moving things in my room around I cracked my jar, probably the universe telling me that I should focus on my two current picos instead which is fine because I had put my jar on hold for a while while I work on other things. So in short if you guys could remove me from the list so people aren't checking out a cc Pico-less thread, thanks. 

• Sad 9
  • Wow 1

I knew there was going to be some drop outs, but didn't expect any on the first day.

@SavaS, sorry about your pico. :( Yeah, sometimes it's best to take care of what you already have.

Still, I hope we'll have just a few people dropping out before the end.  I'm already impressed by so many of these tiny tanks.

• Like 6
On 10/31/2017 at 9:30 AM, MedievalITGuy said:

Well, you've got entry #47... I'm in!

PS: I swear I'm not trying to steal your idea @Tom@HaslettMI, I actually came home with my flask about an hour before I saw your entry :wacko:

Great minds think alike, I guess.

On 10/31/2017 at 3:03 PM, hinnenkm said:

Finally joined in on the contest!

On 10/31/2017 at 7:31 PM, ajmckay said:

An hour and a half until the date - here's Entry #48

On 10/31/2017 at 8:15 PM, damianita said:

I'm entering the contest with the help of my 4th grade students.  Here is the  link !

IMG_7530.JPG

On 10/31/2017 at 8:24 PM, MrNanoReef said:

#50...Happy Halloween!!

On 10/31/2017 at 8:26 PM, sofrinat said:

The "Lover's Coral"! 

On 10/31/2017 at 8:32 PM, Allaboutcorals said:

"The Better Half"!

Get it?

On 10/31/2017 at 9:03 PM, boyscoutrickybobby said:

Here is my entry to the Creative container contest, I know last minute.

Wow!  So many entries right at the end there!  I'm adding you all to the list of contestants in the first post of this thread.

On 11/1/2017 at 5:46 AM, SavaS said:

So last night while moving things in my room around I cracked my jar, probably the universe telling me that I should focus on my two current picos instead which is fine because I had put my jar on hold for a while while I work on other things. So in short if you guys could remove me from the list so people aren't checking out a cc Pico-less thread, thanks. 

So sorry to hear this!

• Like 3

We have a total of 52 entries!  What a wonderful turnout for this competition!  I can't wait to see all these picos take shape!  The contestant list with links to each thread is up to date in the first post of this thread.

I believe I have everyone's entries.  Please check the contestants list in the first post of this thread and confirm that I got your entry.  If I missed anyone's entry, please let me know ASAP.

• Like 5
8 hours ago, Felicia said:

PS: I swear I'm not trying to steal your idea @Tom@HaslettMI, I actually came home with my flask about an hour before I saw your entry :wacko:

Great minds think alike, I guess.

so then...what happened to yours then?  :rolleyes:  omgomgomg:haha:omgomgomg:rolleyes:

Hey fellow contestants and followers!!!  Hope you’re all well.

Just in case you missed it, I wanted to give you a heads up that PJ Reefs @pj86 just launched their new Kickstarter.

TWO WORDS:  MINI SEAHORSES!!!

Please note:  I am not associated with PJ or his project in any way.  I, quite frankly, just want this project funded so I can have mini seahorses As well as figure out how the heck PJ magnetized artemia!!! :)   Go check it out and sign up if you’re interested!  The faster we fund it the faster we get SEAHORSES!!!

• Like 5
MedievalITGuy
1 hour ago, Friendly said:

so then...what happened to yours then?  :rolleyes:  omgomgomg:haha:omgomgomg:rolleyes:

Lol, my wife had expressed interest in owning some lab glasswear for party/Halloween drink cups. So when I found them at Michaels I "accidentally" came home with an extra flask.

• Like 2

@dmw913 Just to give credit where it is due, the magnetized cysts are produced by a company in the great lakes. Besides large fisheries, no one uses them in small tanks.

The Magnetized Container is what I came up with. Bringing it down to a small scale.

• Like 2
On 11/3/2017 at 5:13 PM, pj86 said:

@dmw913 Just to give credit where it is due, the magnetized cysts are produced by a company in the great lakes. Besides large fisheries, no one uses them in small tanks.

The Magnetized Container is what I came up with. Bringing it down to a small scale.

PJ, I watched the video on dmw's post.  I like the concept of your dwarf tank.  I of course am interested in a dwarf seahorse tank if there is a less rigorous feeding regiment.  Hatching artemia daily is more than I can commit to.

• Like 2

@vlangel Yes, the magnetized artemia makes it easy to feed them. Here is a video detailing the feeding method. I also hope hobbyist use the Magnetized container for a way to feed pico aquariums, and tiny gobies. 

• Like 5
1 hour ago, pj86 said:

@vlangel Yes, the magnetized artemia makes it easy to feed them. Here is a video detailing the feeding method. I also hope hobbyist use the Magnetized container for a way to feed pico aquariums, and tiny gobies.

That's so cool!  I'd like to try that to feed clownfish fry.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, pj86 said:

So if you are hoping to break into the pico market you may be open to selling the magnetized feeder alone without the the whole dwarf seahorse tank?  I would really be interested in that!

• Like 1
1 minute ago, vlangel said:

So if you are hoping to break into the pico market you may be open to selling the magnetized feeder alone without the the whole dwarf seahorse tank?  I would really be interested in that!

Yes, we will have the magnetized feeding container in 1-2 months. I'm assembling them and also partially manufacturing them. 

• Like 5
  • Wow 2
5 minutes ago, pj86 said:

Yes, we will have the magnetized feeding container in 1-2 months. I'm assembling them and also partially manufacturing them. 

Please let me know all the details of how to acquire one when you are ready.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, pj86 said:

Very cool idea and I would also be interested in that feeder and potentially the tank when it comes out. Congrats on reaching your funding goal as well! 

• Thanks 1
On 11/5/2017 at 1:38 PM, pj86 said:

I would be interested in feeder as well. Great for Mandarins and pipefish.

• Like 3
  • Christopher Marks unpinned this topic