ReefCleaners.org

Creative Container Pico Contest - Official Announcement

Felicia

On 10/2/2017 at 1:08 PM, Felicia said:

@Christopher Marks

• 1 Air Pump with accessories (airline, valves, air stones, etc.) and/or 1 Powerhead Pump for flow.

Question! Is the wording 'and/or' on purpose here? Can we have an air pump and a powerhead? :)  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Mariaface said:

Question! Is the wording 'and/or' on purpose here? Can we have an air pump and a powerhead? :)  

Yes, you can have both an air pump and powerhead. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
Just now, cnseekatz said:

For anyone looking to be inspired, here's an old creative container I found on NR.

030.JPG&key=a4066a478228697f1a92249b446e

I remember this one!  Definitely a very unique tank.

18 hours ago, Draco said:

Sorry if I missed it, but what if the container breaks? Are we allowed to use a back up? or if it breaks, we're out?

We've made the rule that you aren't allowed to switch containers after the October 31st deadline, so this really would fall under that rule.  We really want to have tanks that have been maintained for the 6 month period qualified to win.  Since these are small tanks that are easy to get looking good quickly, but much harder to maintain long term, we really want to see tanks that have been set up for the entire length of the contest.  @pj86 and @Christopher Marks, please weigh in if you feel differently.  An unforeseen breakage of a container might be a bit different than switching containers.

17 hours ago, reefcrimp said:

Count us in please!

Love the condiment choice!  Yummy!  I've got your entry and will add your name to the list of contestants in the first post of this thread.

• Like 1

@Draco I agree with @Felicia on this one. We really want to see a complete 6 month period, as this is the part of the "challenge." If in the case of a breakage or leak, I say it will depend on the situation and how it is fixed. 

• Like 2
44 minutes ago, pj86 said:

@Draco I agree with @Felicia on this one. We really want to see a complete 6 month period, as this is the part of the "challenge." If in the case of a breakage or leak, I say it will depend on the situation and how it is fixed. 

15 minutes ago, Draco said:

@Felicia sounds perfectly fair! I am just planning ahead!

I agree with Paul that if something like a breakage of a container happens, we'll have to assess that at the time and make a decision about what would be allowed to be done.  However, the rule will be that no one can switch containers after the 31st unless there are extraordinary circumstances that have to be assessed. Planning ahead is definitely a good thing!

5 minutes ago, GraniteReefer said:

Didn't realize this! Now I have to source a powerhead before the 31st!

We loosened the ruling on this.  You're able to add or remove allowed equipment after the 31st if needed.

• Thanks 2

what is the smallest powerhead you can get?

my jar is pretty big...not sure a single air stone will be enough to create the water movement I need.

contest administrators. is it lawful to have a loop where the powerhead is external to the pico?

49 minutes ago, Friendly said:

my jar is pretty big...not sure a single air stone will be enough to create the water movement I need.

contest administrators. is it lawful to have a loop where the powerhead is external to the pico?

The tunze mini pumps are pretty tiny

1 hour ago, Friendly said:

No external plumbing or closed loops are allowed.

i forgot to take a dry picture of my pico :( does this mean im out? i just set it up this afternoon when i got off. guess i was too happy with having everything just laying around, should have read the detail better lol

7 minutes ago, alprejean said:

i forgot to take a dry picture of my pico :( does this mean im out? i just set it up this afternoon when i got off. guess i was too happy with having everything just laying around, should have read the detail better lol

Not necessarily, remember you have until the 31st to take that picture. You can always remove the contents and then take the dry picture and then put the contents back. The beauty of a jar reef. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Letting new posters know that Brightwell Aquatics is sending out a free sample of their new coral dip. The offer is open to everyone. Liquid restrictions outside of the US may mean they cannot ship elsewhere, please keep that in mind.

Fill out this form https://goo.gl/forms/KGpKLd2TMGsJkBql2

square-coralMD-Large.thumb.jpg.1aa734af765a23811da59b0d2e9243d5.jpg

@reefcrimp @SavaS @Draco @Tom@HaslettMI @Friendly @SaltyBuddha @ChristopherDido @aio.tankhero @fishfreak0114 @TFish77 @lobster876 @skibum513 @dmw913 @duderubble @flatlandreefer @Droy008 @cnseekatz @Nickmcg @Coral_chef @Boggers @Lisa166 @OldManSea @Merthynia @JoeR @GunslingerGirl @GraniteReefer @Sharbuckle @Orangutran @seabass @Clown79 @Tamberav @schgr.cube @tanacharison @Harrisonbored @kimberbee @Lula_Mae @vlangel @gena

• Like 5
  • Thanks 6
Just now, metrokat said:

Letting new posters know that Brightwell Aquatics is sending out a free sample of their new coral dip. The offer is open to everyone. Liquid restrictions outside of the US may mean they cannot ship elsewhere, please keep that in mind.

Fill out this form https://goo.gl/forms/KGpKLd2TMGsJkBql2

square-coralMD-Large.thumb.jpg.1aa734af765a23811da59b0d2e9243d5.jpg

@reefcrimp @SavaS @Draco @Tom@HaslettMI @Friendly @SaltyBuddha @ChristopherDido @aio.tankhero @fishfreak0114 @TFish77 @lobster876 @skibum513 @dmw913 @duderubble @flatlandreefer @Droy008 @cnseekatz @Nickmcg @Coral_chef @Boggers @Lisa166 @OldManSea @Merthynia @JoeR @GunslingerGirl @GraniteReefer @Sharbuckle @Orangutran @seabass @Clown79 @Tamberav @schgr.cube @tanacharison @Harrisonbored @kimberbee @Lula_Mae @vlangel @gena

I put in my info when first posted, do you know how long it takes to get it?

23 hours ago, alprejean said:

ok so i pulled it all out to get the pictureIMG_0996.thumb.JPG.0f98cf0712a126d7c28b34a19f9071b2.JPG

• Like 5
  • Wow 1
  • Thanks 1
17 hours ago, alprejean said:

ok so i pulled it all out to get the pictureIMG_0996.thumb.JPG.0f98cf0712a126d7c28b34a19f9071b2.JPG

Awesome!  Just post a link to your build thread here and you'll be officially entered.  Also, I can't tell exactly what that light fixture is, but it does not appear to meet the contest's equipment rules.  Please just double check the rules for the contest and make sure all your equipment qualifies. :)

• Christopher Marks unpinned this topic