Pod Your Reef

Creative Container Pico Contest - Official Announcement

Felicia

9 hours ago, MedievalITGuy said:

I have a question for the contest moderators about lighting. Would it be permitted to enter the contest using a custom wired LED star such as the one below? I understand the idea of keeping the lighting simple, but my wife and I just don't like the look of PAR bulbs, and I've found a way of rigging these stars up inside an ikea lamp as a more aesthetically attractive option. Essentially it's just the guts of a PAR 38 bulb transplanted into a different fixture, and is less watts, coming in at only 12W total.

Alternately, if I was to use no light for the tank itself, but simply placed the container next to say an 6g Biocube (with stock fluorescent lighting), would that be considered cheating? Again, I swear I'm not trying to get a competitive edge here, It's just nice to have less plugs running around the house :P

HTB14YNJIXXXXXcJXFXXq6xXFXXXZ.jpg?size=136633&height=800&width=800&hash=51f4dca23de55698a50779e4e459bd45

There are a number of 12w PAR bulbs out there, including the ABI Tuna Blue and the ABI blue and white "50-50" bulb and one I have from Reef Radiance.  If you get a lamp with a wide shade, you cannot even see the bulb (like this one from Amazon). :)

MainelyReefer
13 hours ago, MedievalITGuy said:

I have a question for the contest moderators about lighting. Would it be permitted to enter the contest using a custom wired LED star such as the one below? I understand the idea of keeping the lighting simple, but my wife and I just don't like the look of PAR bulbs, and I've found a way of rigging these stars up inside an ikea lamp as a more aesthetically attractive option. Essentially it's just the guts of a PAR 38 bulb transplanted into a different fixture, and is less watts, coming in at only 12W total.

Alternately, if I was to use no light for the tank itself, but simply placed the container next to say an 6g Biocube (with stock fluorescent lighting), would that be considered cheating? Again, I swear I'm not trying to get a competitive edge here, It's just nice to have less plugs running around the house :P

HTB14YNJIXXXXXcJXFXXq6xXFXXXZ.jpg?size=136633&height=800&width=800&hash=51f4dca23de55698a50779e4e459bd45

Coralife Energy Savers ACL54210 50/50 Mini Compact Bulb, 20w https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000256EMQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_1HX7zb66M9DBK

this was my chosen alternative to the par bulbs, good coral response, poor fixture choices, huge light spread, horrible viewing spectrum of fluorescent corals!  Everyone in the comp is desperately trying to win the nanobox so they can have a nice pico light!

MedievalITGuy
8 hours ago, Felicia said:

At this point, there has been a ton of discussion regarding lighting and we have set the rules to make the contest an even playing field and as fair as possible.  We will not be changing or budging on the lighting rules this close to the entry deadline.  While you are allowed to put your jar near an existing aquarium, using the lighting on that aquarium as the primary light source is really bending the rules pretty far.  You cannot use an unapproved light as the primary source of lighting.

Understandable. I'll see what I can come up with on the PAR bulb front then.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!

59 minutes ago, Draco said:

I wonder if I have time to enter.. I've been away and pet sitting this month, ugh. If I can find a container fast enough, I'll enter!

There's plenty of time.  I even considered entering a one gallon fruit punch bottle.  In a way, I kind of wish I did.  That would have been unique.

Image result for hawaiian punch

If not something from around your home, a quick trip to Walmart or Target will give a good selection to choose from.

Come on guys, it's not too late.

• Like 4
6 minutes ago, duderubble said:

I thought of going to Sam's or Costco for a two gallon pickle jar. First picture is already taken care of. 

Brilliant!  The giant Cheese Puffs jar at Sam's would be perfect. :lol:

image.jpeg.d19cd1537fbac82ccc5808d22a7e1873.jpeg
  • Like 3
24 minutes ago, Draco said:

Hmm.. I'll take a ride to AC Moores later and see what they got. I need to get a bag of sand for my FW to SW conversion, so that will be useful too. 

Looks like they should have something there:

WeeklyAd3
  • Like 1

I'm thinking of getting a softie frag pack to jump start my corals in the Pico. Anyone have recommendations of a place that has done you right? $100 target. 

20 hours ago, Tom@HaslettMI said:

Official entry... 

Thanks to the sponsors, NR, and Felicia for making this contest happen!

Tom

You're very welcome! Love the vacuum flash!  I was hoping someone would use some chemistry glassware. :)  I'll add your name to the list of contestants.

7 hours ago, Draco said:

OK, I've entered! Here's my build thread:

Oh fun!  I can definitely get on board with a wine themed entry!  I'll add you to the list of contestants in the first post of this thread.

2 hours ago, SavaS said:

Here's my entry...

Pico Contest

At first I thought you were considering your cat to be a condiment and I was a bit concerned. :lol:  I always take a "cat in tank" photo for new builds!  I've got your entry and am adding your name to the list of contestants.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Alright everyone, there is now exactly a week left to enter the contest!  Remember that you must enter by 11:59:59 pm on October 31st (Halloween!).  To enter you need to have sourced your container, posted a photo of your dry container that includes your favorite condiment, and posted a link to your build thread here.

We're at 39 entries right now, which is super exciting!  How many more can we get before the deadline?!  I'm predicting some fierce competition!

• Like 6
  • Wow 2

Maybe anyone here has an idea, I'm still thinking about the light. 

Instead of a PAR, would a led bulb somewhere between 4000 and 65000 K work? 

I can still order the PAR, but it wouldn't be here until half december (yay for checks coming in late). So I am looking at a alternative to use until that time, and maybe even to keep if it works. 

I've used a daylight fluorescent over a fuge for years with no issue. I think you could use either that or an led. Get a 100 watt equivalent. 

Edited by duderubble
Autocorrect changed fuge to huge
  • Like 2
4 hours ago, Lisa166 said:

I can still order the PAR, but it wouldn't be here until half december (yay for checks coming in late). So I am looking at a alternative to use until that time, and maybe even to keep if it works. 

You can certainly get your tank set up and cycling while you wait for a more "proper" bulb to arrive.

• Like 1
MainelyReefer

Anyone thought of a Kitty litter box frag tank? With all the people on here that like cats I'm surprised this one hasn't come up yet.  I will pledge my vote if someone does it.  Might get messy with a cat owner though

5 hours ago, Lisa166 said:

hey Lisa, as long as it's an off-the-shelf bulb and screws into your standard light socket, the light is good.  B) 

• Like 1
  • Christopher Marks unpinned this topic