Pod Your Reef

Creative Container Pico Contest - Official Announcement

Felicia

17 minutes ago, Lisa166 said:

Can someone help? I hope it's okay to ask for questions. This is just my second tank ever and I am super duper nervous about it!:scarry:

Chris is dead on.

Some dry rock has lots of organics on it and will cause a large ammonia spike.  Other dry rock is very clean and won't impact ammonia production at all.

Whether or not you need to build up the biofilter on the rock kind of depends a lot on the planned bio-load.  Most of these contest tanks will rightly go without fish (so they will have a small bio-load); however, even a small fish will significantly affect the bioload.

If your rock generates ammonia, then a biofilter will become established as the bacteria processes the ammonia.  However, if your rock doesn't generate ammonia, and you plan on keeping a fish, or generously feeding your corals/inverts, then you might wish to build up a biofilter using this guide: http://www.drtimsaquatics.com/resources/fishless-cycling

Another option for rock which is not generating ammonia, would be to place it in your main tank for a couple of weeks to get some bacteria growth on it.  Then transfer it with the rubble over to your pico.  Just do NOT place a rock in your main display that is generating ammonia.

I know that's a lot of options, but I'll go visit your thread and see if you need any more help.

• Like 5
59 minutes ago, seabass said:

Chris is dead on.

Some dry rock has lots of organics on it and will cause a large ammonia spike.  Other dry rock is very clean and won't impact ammonia production at all.

Whether or not you need to build up the biofilter on the rock kind of depends a lot on the planned bio-load.  Most of these contest tanks will rightly go without fish (so they will have a small bio-load); however, even a small fish will significantly affect the bioload.

If your rock generates ammonia, then a biofilter will become established as the bacteria processes the ammonia.  However, if your rock doesn't generate ammonia, and you plan on keeping a fish, or generously feeding your corals/inverts, then you might wish to build up a biofilter using this guide: http://www.drtimsaquatics.com/resources/fishless-cycling

Another option for rock which is not generating ammonia, would be to place it in your main tank for a couple of weeks to get some bacteria growth on it.  Then transfer it with the rubble over to your pico.  Just do NOT place a rock in your main display that is generating ammonia.

I know that's a lot of options, but I'll go visit your thread and see if you need any more help.

The dry rock was live rock before I got it out of my DT. It has been dry for months but used to have loads of life on it before I sort of killed it by drying, hence, I expect a large ammonia spike. 

My thread is not really useful yet. It doesn't have a lot of info yet, and my pump is not even on yet. 

On 21/10/2017 at 12:16 PM, Mariaface said:

Has anyone had an issue with a stronger PAR bulb being way too heavy for a normal task light fixture?  @metrokat and I learned that yes, you can tip over a heavy desk lamp just by adding a PAR bulb :blush:

So we're thinking 15W! Now to decide on a spectrum...

Option 1: Two blue LEDs, two cold white LEDs, one purple/UV LED

s-l1600.jpg

Option 2: Two blue LEDs, three white LEDs

s-l1600.jpg

I have one of these bulbs that I ordered a couple years ago, which I'm using now for my contest Pico.

I have the option 1 bulb and it's a nice balance with a purple cast. You might see it in my pics. Colours actually pop, when I used it for frags in my sump, maybe even nicer than my display LEDs. 

Just be careful when you order these bulbs, they say "15w" but are actually using 5w only. To keep the heat down they describe it. There are a few that are really 15w, so just check different vendors.

I suspect what I have is only 5 watts, so I may order a 15w version.

Btw there may be more options on alibaba.

• Like 3
fishfreak0114
35 minutes ago, Orangutran said:

I have one of these bulbs that I ordered a couple years ago, which I'm using now for my contest Pico.

I have the option 1 bulb and it's a nice balance with a purple cast. You might see it in my pics. Colours actually pop, when I used it for frags in my sump, maybe even nicer than my display LEDs. 

Just be careful when you order these bulbs, they say "15w" but are actually using 5w only. To keep the heat down they describe it. There are a few that are really 15w, so just check different vendors.

I suspect what I have is only 5 watts, so I may order a 15w version.

Btw there may be more options on alibaba.

Seeing as how I'm using the option one bulb, I suppose I should look into it's wattage!  I figured I'd need to block a lot of light to use it on a coffee pot, but maybe not as much as I thought if it's only 5w.  Off to read the full description!

• Like 1
2 hours ago, fishfreak0114 said:

Seeing as how I'm using the option one bulb, I suppose I should look into it's wattage!  I figured I'd need to block a lot of light to use it on a coffee pot, but maybe not as much as I thought if it's only 5w.  Off to read the full description!

I think saw you post the link to your bulb and it's the 15w one if I'm not mistaken. Let us know!

fishfreak0114
Just now, Orangutran said:

I think saw you post the link to your bulb and it's the 15w one if I'm not mistaken. Let us know!

Yep I checked and it's 15w :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 10/21/2017 at 4:34 PM, ChristopherDido said:

Here is our build thread from here in STL.  Let me know if I need to do anything else to enter this contest!

TIA We are very excited to be on this journey with you all!  Happy Reefing!

2 hours ago, SaltyBuddha said:

Here is my official entry. Finally got the vase and was able to get the condiment shot :lol:

Woohoo!  More contestants!  I've got both your entries and you're both good to go!  I'm adding your names to the list of contestants in the first post of this thread.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, fishfreak0114 said:

Yep I checked and it's 15w :)

I think what people are saying is that they don't always pull the amount of power they are rated for.  So if you hooked it up to a Kill A Watt meter, it might show that the bulb is drawing less power than advertised.

• Like 2
43 minutes ago, spec33 said:

Are we allowed to make a base for the bowl? Or would we have to buy one that comes with one?

There are no rules in terms of stands/bases/furniture. You're imagination is the limit in that area. :)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, metrokat said:

Hello there. @Mariaface and I have upgraded our containers. Here is the new dry shot with the condiment.

upgrade.thumb.jpg.c9b670f2b2290ce00a34f316ca88d8f0.jpg

Wait, so what happened to little dick?

Is he upsizing to larger accommodations?

53 minutes ago, Droy008 said:

Wait, so what happened to little dick?

Is he upsizing to larger accommodations?

51 minutes ago, metrokat said:

Yeah. We wanted bigger dongs..... :)

I mean, of course we needed bigger dongs! But Dick also needed more space! :flower: 

• Haha 2
MedievalITGuy

I have a question for the contest moderators about lighting. Would it be permitted to enter the contest using a custom wired LED star such as the one below? I understand the idea of keeping the lighting simple, but my wife and I just don't like the look of PAR bulbs, and I've found a way of rigging these stars up inside an ikea lamp as a more aesthetically attractive option. Essentially it's just the guts of a PAR 38 bulb transplanted into a different fixture, and is less watts, coming in at only 12W total.

Alternately, if I was to use no light for the tank itself, but simply placed the container next to say an 6g Biocube (with stock fluorescent lighting), would that be considered cheating? Again, I swear I'm not trying to get a competitive edge here, It's just nice to have less plugs running around the house :P

HTB14YNJIXXXXXcJXFXXq6xXFXXXZ.jpg?size=136633&height=800&width=800&hash=51f4dca23de55698a50779e4e459bd45

• Like 2
4 hours ago, MedievalITGuy said:

I have a question for the contest moderators about lighting. Would it be permitted to enter the contest using a custom wired LED star such as the one below? I understand the idea of keeping the lighting simple, but my wife and I just don't like the look of PAR bulbs, and I've found a way of rigging these stars up inside an ikea lamp as a more aesthetically attractive option. Essentially it's just the guts of a PAR 38 bulb transplanted into a different fixture, and is less watts, coming in at only 12W total.

Alternately, if I was to use no light for the tank itself, but simply placed the container next to say an 6g Biocube (with stock fluorescent lighting), would that be considered cheating? Again, I swear I'm not trying to get a competitive edge here, It's just nice to have less plugs running around the house :P

HTB14YNJIXXXXXcJXFXXq6xXFXXXZ.jpg?size=136633&height=800&width=800&hash=51f4dca23de55698a50779e4e459bd45

Although I love the idea of customization, we had a lengthy discussion on the type of lighting. We had decided no light customization, as customization can get complex and possibly lead to an unfair advantage.

There are an endless amount of light fixtures, you are bound to find one you like. 

I believe one contestant already has their reef jar right next to a larger aquarium. As long as the light is not underneath the jar this will be acceptable. 

• Thanks 2
2 hours ago, Friendly said:

my rocket has launched!!!  B)  

Got your entry and you are now on the official list of contestants in the first post of this thread! :)

6 hours ago, MedievalITGuy said:

1 hour ago, pj86 said:

Although I love the idea of customization, we had a lengthy discussion on the type of lighting. We had decided no light customization, as customization can get complex and possibly lead to an unfair advantage.

There are an endless amount of light fixtures, you are bound to find one you like. 

I believe one contestant already has their reef jar right next to a larger aquarium. As long as the light is not underneath the jar this will be acceptable. 

At this point, there has been a ton of discussion regarding lighting and we have set the rules to make the contest an even playing field and as fair as possible.  We will not be changing or budging on the lighting rules this close to the entry deadline.  While you are allowed to put your jar near an existing aquarium, using the lighting on that aquarium as the primary light source is really bending the rules pretty far.  You cannot use an unapproved light as the primary source of lighting.

• Like 4
  • Christopher Marks unpinned this topic