SaltCritters.com

Creative Container Pico Contest - Official Announcement

Felicia

2 hours ago, SarahM said:

I actually started researching nano reefs (reefs in general) and found this site. I saw the contest thread and some of the reefs being created are just amazing. So I joined and hope to learn enough to some day put one together.

Thanks!!

Welcome to Nano-reef

Love how the contest is full contestants and creativity. Keep it up.

6 hours ago, pj86 said:

Love how the contest is full contestants and creativity.

Mhmm Just wait till yall see what I’m doing with my pico..  lol.

Love the seahorse pico tank you created on kickstart btw. Do you sell just the proprietary feeding contraption by itself or does it only work with the whole tank?

• Like 1
On 10/18/2017 at 11:44 PM, Felicia said:

You're official!  Very cool build plan!  Can't wait to see how it comes together.  I'm adding you to the official contestants list in the first post of this thread.

Woohoo!  I love how your condiment looks larger than your container.  I'm loving how tiny many of these are!  I'm adding you to the official list of contestants in the first post of this thread.

Thank you so much! :rolleyes:

• Like 1
On 10/19/2017 at 12:05 PM, aio.tankhero said:

Can I be added to the contestants list? Please and thank you :D

Very cool!  I added you to the list of contestants on the first post of this thread.  Welcome to the contest!

• Like 1
On 10/19/2017 at 10:03 PM, SarahM said:

I'm new to this site, but what an awesome contest!! Wish I had stumbled upon this earlier. I have a lot of learning before attempting one - I will definitely be following this!!!

:welcome: to Nano-Reef!  This is a great site to learn from. :happy:

• Like 4
cfaye@Delaware
On 10/19/2017 at 10:03 PM, SarahM said:

I'm new to this site, but what an awesome contest!! Wish I had stumbled upon this earlier. I have a lot of learning before attempting one - I will definitely be following this!!!

:welcome:

• Like 2

Has anyone had an issue with a stronger PAR bulb being way too heavy for a normal task light fixture?  @metrokat and I learned that yes, you can tip over a heavy desk lamp just by adding a PAR bulb :blush:

So we're thinking 15W! Now to decide on a spectrum...

Option 1: Two blue LEDs, two cold white LEDs, one purple/UV LED

s-l1600.jpg

Option 2: Two blue LEDs, three white LEDs

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 6
56 minutes ago, Mariaface said:

Has anyone had an issue with a stronger PAR bulb being way too heavy for a normal task light fixture?  @metrokat and I learned that yes, you can tip over a heavy desk lamp just by adding a PAR bulb :blush:

So we're thinking 15W! Now to decide on a spectrum...

Option 1: Two blue LEDs, two cold white LEDs, one purple/UV LED

s-l1600.jpg

Option 2: Two blue LEDs, three white LEDs

s-l1600.jpg

Wait, where are you finding these?

1 hour ago, Weetabix7 said:

Hmm, thx. 

Do you just search "par 15", or what?

I think 'full spectrum' must be an aquarium term, because if you search 'par30 15w led full spectrum' it's all the right kind :P 

• Thanks 1
ChristopherDido

Here is our build thread from here in STL.  Let me know if I need to do anything else to enter this contest!

TIA We are very excited to be on this journey with you all!  Happy Reefing!

• Like 9
4 hours ago, schgr.cube said:

That’s so crazy!! Do you think you may have too much in there for the effect to work well?

Oh for sure. This is just temporary to get the tank cycled and seeded with all the good stuff from my frag tank refugium. All of the macro will be removed and the tonga is going to be glued to the lid to make sure as much light as possible gets through. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, ChristopherDido said:

Here is our build thread from here in STL.  Let me know if I need to do anything else to enter this contest!

TIA We are very excited to be on this journey with you all!  Happy Reefing!

Such a cool looking little bowl. All this just makes me want to have a wall of picos :lol:

• Thanks 1
31 minutes ago, HarryPotter said:

Ill consider joining between 11:55 and 11:59 pm on the 31st. Not a second before. 

#ProcrastinationNation

It will be a lazy build, I warn you. 

Just leave a frag in a container someone gives to you, throw a bubbler and a light on it, call it a day.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
7 hours ago, HarryPotter said:

Ill consider joining between 11:55 and 11:59 pm on the 31st. Not a second before. 

#ProcrastinationNation

Sometimes those are the best builds. I say do it! 

Christopher Marks
14 hours ago, HarryPotter said:

#ProcrastinationNation

Spin a wood base on your lathe to hold a glass jar or bowl! That might break your procrastination :lol: 

• Like 3

Can someone help? I hope it's okay to ask for questions. This is just my second tank ever and I am super duper nervous about it!:scarry:u

How do I go in cycling my 1.6G pico? I do have two very very small pieces of rubble in my main tank that I can put in the pico. But it's not nearly enough, due to costs the rest will be dry rock I had lying around. Any tips? Do I ghostfeed, add bactostart and just wait untill the NH3 is at 0? Or are there other ways for the picos to do this faster? 

Christopher Marks
8 minutes ago, Lisa166 said:

Can someone help? I hope it's okay to ask for questions. This is just my second tank ever and I am super duper nervous about it!:scarry:u

How do I go in cycling my 1.6G pico? I do have two very very small pieces of rubble in my main tank that I can put in the pico. But it's not nearly enough, due to costs the rest will be dry rock I had lying around. Any tips? Do I ghostfeed, add bactostart and just wait untill the NH3 is at 0? Or are there other ways for the picos to do this faster? 

PJ86 wrote a nice article about the fundamentals of keeping a pico reef jar, he covers the cycling process as well,

How About the Nitrogen Cycle?

Reef jars go through the nitrogen cycle just like any other reef, but due to the small amount of water volume and complete 100% water changes, you might not detect any changes in nitrogen. This is known as a soft cycle. The best practice is to add live rock and let the rock cycle for a few days, up to two weeks, depending on the handling of the live rock. To make certain the cycle has completed the aquarium water can be tested using a test kit for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate.

Your rubble will work perfectly, the remaining rock you use can be dry 'dead' rock. You could add bactostart as well if you wanted, but the rubble may suffice. Since these smaller pico reefs have such a low bioload, the cycling process is a little accelerated. Since your rubble is 'cured' and coming from an established tank, a week may be all you need.

• Like 2
  • Christopher Marks unpinned this topic