Coral Vue Hydros

Creative Container Pico Contest - Official Announcement

Felicia

22 hours ago, cfaye@Delaware said:

I was wondering can you make changes in your container as far as equipment ( approved ) as the contest goes along or do you have to use the same that you started with ( improvements ) ???? I was not sure ??? Thanks.......I will check rules again......

You must enter with your container and equipment by the October 31st deadline.  After that deadline, you will be allowed to change the main equipment (powerhead or air pump, light, and heater) only if the equipment breaks or is malfunctioning.  However, we will allow the addition of any of the allowed optional equipment (controllers and ATO systems) at a later date if you decide you need to.  For example, you can start without an ATO system and then add one after the October 31st deadline if you decide you're having too much evaporation to keep up with manually.

7 hours ago, seabass said:

The participation in this contest is awesome! :)

However... I don't know about anybody else, but there are just too many threads to keep up with.  There is just so much time in the day.  It's a good problem to have. :happy:

I know!  So excited about how many contestants we have, but I can't keep up with all the threads either!  Definitely not a bad problem to have. :D

7 hours ago, dmw913 said:

While chemical filtration (lanthanum, etc.) is obviously not allowed, I assume supplements, e.g. MicroBacter7, Ca, Alk, etc. are acceptable, yes?

Manual dosing of any supplements is just fine. :)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
14 minutes ago, Felicia said:

You must enter with your container and equipment by the October 31st deadline.  After that deadline, you will be allowed to change the main equipment (powerhead or air pump, light, and heater) only if the equipment breaks or is malfunctioning.  However, we will allow the addition of any of the allowed optional equipment (controllers and ATO systems) at a later date if you decide you need to.  For example, you can start without an ATO system and then add one after the October 31st deadline if you decide you're having too much evaporation to keep up with manually.

Oh boy...good thing I'm figuring this light thing out early :lol:.

• Like 3
8 hours ago, seabass said:

The participation in this contest is awesome! :)

However... I don't know about anybody else, but there are just too many threads to keep up with.  There is just so much time in the day.  It's a good problem to have. :happy:

There are so many.

I'm trying to keep up but it's been a challenge.

I'm now switching reading members threads every other day to keep up?

• Like 3
17 minutes ago, Felicia said:

You must enter with your container and equipment by the October 31st deadline.  After that deadline, you will be allowed to change the main equipment (powerhead or air pump, light, and heater) only if the equipment breaks or is malfunctioning. 

Quick question! Does 'I thought I wouldn't need one but it turns out...' count as an exception, or should we figure out our lighting/heating/circulation needs before the October 31st deadline?

8 minutes ago, Mariaface said:

Quick question! Does 'I thought I wouldn't need one but it turns out...' count as an exception, or should we figure out our lighting/heating/circulation needs before the October 31st deadline?

Sounds like that only works with the ATO or a controller.

19 minutes ago, Mariaface said:

10 minutes ago, duderubble said:

Sounds like any item you didn't have yoiu can add, you just can't change out equipment unless there's a malfunction. 

9 minutes ago, gena said:

Sounds like that only works with the ATO or a controller.

Your light, powerhead and/or air pump, and heater need to be determined by the October 31st deadline and cannot be changed after that date unless the equipment fails.  If you look at the first post with the rules, it states that by the October 31st deadline you need to have sourced your equipment and container.  I am going to allow the addition of ONLY the optional equipment (controllers and ATO systems) after the October 31st deadline if you decide later that you need them.

• Like 5
6 minutes ago, Felicia said:

Your light, powerhead and/or air pump, and heater need to be determined by the October 31st deadline and cannot be changed after that date unless the equipment fails.  If you look at the first post with the rules, it states that by the October 31st deadline you need to have sourced your equipment and container.  I am going to allow the addition of ONLY the optional equipment (controllers and ATO systems) after the October 31st deadline if you decide later that you need them.

Poo. So we can't add a heater if our place gets really cold. 

2 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Poo. So we can't add a heater if our place gets really cold. 

Yehp! Gotta be like a squirrel and plan ahead for winter!

• Haha 4

I thought CM said earlier that if someone went sunlight only they could later add a light if necessary. Seems like the heater would be in that same category. 

• Like 1

What if we took the best of both worlds: 'If I need a heater/light/pump, this is the one I will use, it's in my equipment cabinet'. That way you've technically sourced the equipment, but it can be added later on when the demand hits?

Though I guess that'd be unfortunate for anyone who doesn't like to get things and end up not using them?

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, Mariaface said:

What if we took the best of both worlds: 'If I need a heater/light/pump, this is the one I will use, it's in my equipment cabinet'. That way you've technically sourced the equipment, but it can be added later on when the demand hits?

Though I guess that'd be unfortunate for anyone who doesn't like to get things and end up not using them?

That's what I thought it was how it worked.lol.

I have the heater but no need for use at the moment. But when it gets to minus 20 here, it could be an issue.

Our weather is very unpredictable.

2 days ago we were wearing summer clothes, today you need November wear, this weekend is supposed to be back to 20. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, duderubble said:

So just to make sure, any submerged pump without a filter is a power head, right? Whether it's marketed as a pump or a powerhead?

Right.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Alright guys, you are right that we weren't being consistent on this! I'm going to go ahead and say feel free to add or change out equipment if needed. All equipment through the whole competition just has to meet the equipment rules. By October 31st, you just need to have your container and the equipment you plan to start with. However, keep in mind that you cannot change containers after the October 31st deadline. So to reiterate, no rules on adding, swapping, or removing allowed equipment after the October 31st deadline.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 4

That really takes the pressure off people just starting off.  I can definitely see both sides, but I like that people can continue to improve their tanks throughout the competition.

• Like 9

I was going to drop a heater in mine and just not plug it in, but glad I have another option.

Also the light might be too much so I might have to get a less powerful bulb according to some.

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, lobster876 said:

whats a good powerhead for the jars

Hydor Pico is really small or one of the small fountain pumps.

1 hour ago, Boggers said:

I was going to drop a heater in mine and just not plug it in, but glad I have another option.

Also the light might be too much so I might have to get a less powerful bulb according to some.

You can put the light up higher and you can use mesh as a lid to diffuse the light

• Christopher Marks unpinned this topic