Pod Your Reef

Creative Container Pico Contest - Official Announcement

Felicia

Ok, time for some feedback:

1.  What are the real/perceived differences in the Coral Compulsion/RapidLED $90 bulbs and the Amazon Kingbo-type bulbs?  I'm looking for a more blue tank.  Additionally, while I would prefer to go with the cheaper bulb based on cost, I have been bitten too many times by trying to low ball it and ending up spending even more in the end so if there's a material difference in the bulbs, I'd rather get the better one up front as it will be cheaper in the long run.

2.  To ATO or not to ATO, that is the question.  I envision a zoa, 'shroom, possibly rock anemone tank for this build with 1 shrimp for a little movement.   Again, I would prefer to just do my own top offs for economy but in a 2 gallon build, this seems potentially risky.  Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!  

Denise

• Like 1

I'd love to know about the Kingbo lights too. 

As for ATO i think a key factor will be open top or not. With soft corals I don't think moderate swings in alkalinity will be a big deal and with no sump the pump isn't going to get dry. 

• Like 1

@dmw913, for a 2 gallon tank, for a blue Coral Compulsion bulb, I'd probably get this 14W PAR30 bulb: https://coralcompulsion.myshopify.com/collections/14w-par30/products/14w-par30-led-22k-superblu-reef-light  Their 24W PAR38 bulb is probably overkill.  The 18W PAR38 Kingbo bulb might even be on the strong side.

A much cheaper (but acceptable) option is the 12W PAR38 ABI Tuna Blue: https://www.amazon.com/ABI-Coral-Optimized-Spectrum-PAR38/dp/B01LWP37SD/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1508045170&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=Abi+12w+tuna&psc=1  You really aren't out anything if you don't like it.

@duderubble is right, I wouldn't bother with an ATO if you plan on having a lid.  Otherwise, with an open top, I feel that it would be worth looking into.  

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, seabass said:

@dmw913, for a 2 gallon tank, for a blue Coral Compulsion bulb, I'd probably get this 14W PAR30 bulb: https://coralcompulsion.myshopify.com/collections/14w-par30/products/14w-par30-led-22k-superblu-reef-light  Their 24W PAR38 bulb is probably overkill.  The Kingbo bulb might even be on the strong side.

A much cheaper (but acceptable) option is the 12W PAR38 ABI Tuna Blue: https://www.amazon.com/ABI-Coral-Optimized-Spectrum-PAR38/dp/B01LWP37SD/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1508045170&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=Abi+12w+tuna&psc=1  You really aren't out anything if you don't like it.

@duderubble is right, I wouldn't bother with an ATO if you plan on having a lid.  Otherwise, with an open top, I feel that it would be worth looking into.  

Thanks so much!  I'll review!

8 hours ago, dmw913 said:

Ok, time for some feedback:

1.  What are the real/perceived differences in the Coral Compulsion/RapidLED $90 bulbs and the Amazon Kingbo-type bulbs?  I'm looking for a more blue tank.  Additionally, while I would prefer to go with the cheaper bulb based on cost, I have been bitten too many times by trying to low ball it and ending up spending even more in the end so if there's a material difference in the bulbs, I'd rather get the better one up front as it will be cheaper in the long run.

2.  To ATO or not to ATO, that is the question.  I envision a zoa, 'shroom, possibly rock anemone tank for this build with 1 shrimp for a little movement.   Again, I would prefer to just do my own top offs for economy but in a 2 gallon build, this seems potentially risky.  Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!  

Denise

I ordered the Kingbo bulb and it should be arriving today. I'll post my initial thoughts later. I had a Coral Compulsion bulb a while back because there just weren't a whole lot of options, and I got it on closeout for like $50. That's a lot, especially for a pico tank.  

• Like 2
flatlandreefer
2 minutes ago, JoeR said:

So I was thinking today. I want a power head so the cord doesn’t run over the side, but they provide too much flow- could I just trim the propeller? 

I wouldn't think this would be very ideal. You might get some weird vibrations and noise if you mess with the shape of the propeller. 

• Like 2
On 10/13/2017 at 7:08 PM, Felicia said:

Attention Contestants! omgomgomg

Brightwell has generously offered to send a free sample of their coral dip, KoralMD, to all of the Creative Container contestants.  All you have to do to get your sample is send an email to socialmedia@brightwellaquatics.com! :happydance:  The free samples will ship out in November.  Due to liquid restrictions, Brightwell may not be able to ship the sample internationally.

Thank you to @metrokat for coordinating this wonderful freebie for our contestants!

IMG_20171008_161808.thumb.jpg.5bfb093902

Please note that due to liquid restrictions, Brightwell may not be able to ship the sample internationally.

I wanted to chime in regarding those using a container with a SPIGOT...

For about a year I used a drink dispenser as an ATO container for one of my tanks. It was probably about a gallon in size and was made of plastic - I definitely didn't spend more than $10 on it, and it likely came from Wal-Mart, Walgreens, or somewhere else that it would have been that cheap. I do not know what the spigot inner workings were made of. I never used the spigot, but kept the container on a deep platter in case it did leak. It never leaked. Again, I never used the spigot so I don't know if over time the seal would loose it's leak protection. 

• Like 3
33 minutes ago, flatlandreefer said:

I wouldn't think this would be very ideal. You might get some weird vibrations and noise if you mess with the shape of the propeller. 

Definitely didn’t think about that... looks like I am going to end up with a cord at this point. Unless I can figure out how to make some sort of DIY setup.

55 minutes ago, JoeR said:

So I was thinking today. I want a power head so the cord doesn’t run over the side, but they provide too much flow- could I just trim the propeller? 

I'm looking at the smallest Rio pumps. They are pretty small and go down to around 60 GPH. 

34 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

I wanted to chime in regarding those using a container with a SPIGOT...

For about a year I used a drink dispenser as an ATO container for one of my tanks. It was probably about a gallon in size and was made of plastic - I definitely didn't spend more than $10 on it, and it likely came from Wal-Mart, Walgreens, or somewhere else that it would have been that cheap. I do not know what the spigot inner workings were made of. I never used the spigot, but kept the container on a deep platter in case it did leak. It never leaked. Again, I never used the spigot so I don't know if over time the seal would loose it's leak protection. 

I'd guess it would depend on what type it is. Some are ball valves (the twisty ones)  The ones that go up and down I don't know how they work. 

30 minutes ago, duderubble said:

I'm looking at the smallest Rio pumps. They are pretty small and go down to around 60 GPH. 

I'm using a 40gph small decrative fountain pump. 

9 minutes ago, Coral_chef said:

I'm using a 40gph small decrative fountain pump. 

They have some at a store here for $8. My concern is reliability. The way im doing mine if the pump goes out it will be a major crisis. 

On 10/10/2017 at 3:08 PM, Lula_Mae said:

So the Archea heater from Aqua Forest Aquariums that I ordered for my jar came in today.  I have been grossly overestimating the size. :lol: I took a few pics so everyone who's been curious can see the size.

As you can see, it's a good bit shorter than I was estimating:

IMG_20171010_153627218

IMG_20171010_153712120

The diameter is very slender; this is a U.S. nickel:

IMG_20171010_153747972

Hope that helps some of you!

Ok found it. Now about those suction cup extensions, does it seem like they are just plastic? I mean could they be cut off to leave just a cylinder?

3 hours ago, duderubble said:

They have some at a store here for $8. My concern is reliability. The way im doing mine if the pump goes out it will be a major crisis. 

They are $8, buy two? For a backup. 

• Christopher Marks unpinned this topic