Pod Your Reef

Creative Container Pico Contest - Official Announcement

Felicia

Nice, I have to leave the house today for groceries... looks like I'll be stopping at a few places to look for a pico "tank"!! (after I raid the house to see if I have any options here)

• Like 3
15 hours ago, JoeR said:

Well if the top view could be considered the "front", I have an even better bowl for the contest... I planned on making it a freshwater planted shrimp tank, but who knows now. I'll take a picture tomorrow. My concern though would be surface turbulence disrupting the view?

defintely something to consider

are two entries allowed?

Let's stick to one contest entry per Nano-Reef member for fairness sake.  That doesn't mean you can't set up a second one just for fun!

7 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

Hooray!!!

omgomgomg:happydance:fingerscrossed:wizard::flower:

Hubby and I picked this up at Walmart Sunday afternoon, looks like it wasn't a moment too soon! :lol:

IMG_20171001_153029821_HDR.thumb.jpg.d1301877a692aaac5e905a302dfb801a.jpg

Woohoo!  Looks like we'll have our second contestant soon!  Just start your build thread with a photo of your favorite condiment inside that jar and then post the link to your thread here and you'll be good to go! omgomgomg

3 hours ago, Coral_chef said:

Kinda want to get an anchor steam container with a pour spout.  Easiest water changes ever. 

But am also looking into some cool geometric succulent planters. 

Fun ideas!  I'm hoping for some really cool terrarium picos! :D

2 hours ago, Tamberav said:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GYL0X82/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=A2VP2CMHUGP65Q&psc=1

I would love to do a reef in a tea-pot but 0.5g doesn't leave much room for corals/growth or even water.

Oh that's so cute!  Definitely tiny, but a fun idea!  Zoanthids are a good option for the tiny tanks!

1 hour ago, Weetabix7 said:

Thinking......

Luckily for me, I have a whole month to think. :P

Yep, we wanted to give you all plenty of time to get really creative!  I hope to see you join the contest!

1 hour ago, Christopher Marks said:

Keep your pico reef in a perpetual state of existential crisis with this beautiful vintage beehive blender! :lol: 

s-l1600.jpg

Please just don't plug it in omgomgomg 

:lol: Christopher, this cracked me up!  Love it, except that I think the metal may present a problem! :lol:

• Like 5

What is the ruling on tetrariums? Traditionally used for plants so ok for the contest? Same question on "fish bowl" vases sold at craft stores as candle holders...

• Like 1
1 minute ago, kimberbee said:

What is the ruling on tetrariums? Traditionally used for plants so ok for the contest? Same question on "fish bowl" vases sold at craft stores as candle holders...

As long as its not sold as an aquarium or fish tank, you're good to go.  If its sold as a vase, decorative bowl, or terrarium, that is just fine.  In terms of bowls, you're just going to want to avoid the ones from Petco/Petsmart/other pet stores sold as "fish bowls" or "goldfish bowls".

None of these please:

6a00e3982480928833016303ac7ac9970d-600wi

• Like 5

Just to be clear here, is it possible to build your own Pico "tank"?

I have a brilliant idea in my head but sourcing a vase or bowl for it has proven to be a mild challenge.

The "tank" in question wouldn't be a typical square or rectangular build.

1 minute ago, Droy008 said:

I have a brilliant idea in my head but sourcing a vase or bowl for it has proven to be a mild challenge.

We had not discussed the option of building a container.  Let me consult with my co-hosts and we'll get back to you with an answer. :)

3 minutes ago, vlangel said:

My official entry:

Woohoo!  Our second official entry!  I'll add the link to your build thread to the list in the first post.

Can I not use a bulb and instead have sunlight?  I don't have extra pars lying around and I also don't have any money left to buy another lighting fixture :'( 

I also don't have any more room on the non-window side of my tiny apartment.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Boggers said:

Are there any other PAR light vendors that are sponsors of Nano-Reef other than Coral Compulsion?

@Christopher Marks

Christopher will probably know better, but off the top of my head, Bulk Reef Supply is a N-R sponsor and also sells a few of the RapidLED PAR bulbs.

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/aquarium-lighting/aquarium-led-lighting/rapidled.html

5 minutes ago, Zorya said:

Can I not use a bulb and instead have sunlight?  I don't have extra pars lying around and I also don't have any money left to buy another lighting fixture :'( 

I also don't have any more room on the non-window side of my tiny apartment.

Sure!  You can always opt to not use the allowed equipment, you just can't use any unapproved equipment.  So no light is just fine.  I'm excited to see a sunlight powered container entry!

Thanks!  Fortunately, I can actually keep the temperature controlled next to the window without a heater too :) 

Gonna try >.< - if not to win, to learn something about pico tanks!

• Like 3
1 minute ago, Zorya said:

Thanks!  Fortunately, I can actually keep the temperature controlled next to the window without a heater too :) 

Gonna try >.< - if not to win, to learn something about pico tanks!

Sounds like a fun experiment to me!  This contest is about simplicity anyway, so this is a fun idea!

I was going to go heater-less if I can as well. Being in my office it should stay warm enough. I have an idea for water changes as well as long as I do not add shrimp.

• Like 3
1 minute ago, Boggers said:

I was going to go heater-less if I can as well. Being in my office it should stay warm enough. I have an idea for water changes as well as long as I do not add shrimp.

I'll add some language to the original post to make it more clear that you don't have to use all the equipment.  You just can't use any other, unapproved equipment instead.

• Like 2

Yea, as long as the room temperature stays relatively stable and you pick hardy corals they will be fine and grow during the winter.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Felicia said:

I'll add some language to the original post to make it more clear that you don't have to use all the equipment.  You just can't use any other, unapproved equipment instead.

Sorry, understood that. I was thinking more along the lines...as long as the tank can handle no heater and stay warm enough. :) 

• Like 1

Sorry, understood that. I was thinking more along the lines...as long as the tank can handle no heater and stay warm enough. :) 

Yep, sorry!  You just having that idea made me think I should clarify it in the rules so other people know they don't HAVE to use all the allowed equipment.

1 hour ago, Felicia said:

Let's stick to one contest entry per Nano-Reef member for fairness sake.  That doesn't mean you can't set up a second one just for fun!

Woohoo!  Looks like we'll have our second contestant soon!  Just start your build thread with a photo of your favorite condiment inside that jar and then post the link to your thread here and you'll be good to go! omgomgomg

Fun ideas!  I'm hoping for some really cool terrarium picos! :D

Oh that's so cute!  Definitely tiny, but a fun idea!  Zoanthids are a good option for the tiny tanks!

Yep, we wanted to give you all plenty of time to get really creative!  I hope to see you join the contest!

:lol: Christopher, this cracked me up!  Love it, except that I think the metal may present a problem! :lol:

Hmmm now that makes my decision even harder!

47 minutes ago, Droy008 said:

We've decided that custom built tanks/containers will not be allowed for fairness' sake.  Containers must be purchased and maintained intact with only minor modifications to accommodate qualifying equipment, allow ventilation, or to create a lid allowed.  I'm sure you had a wonderful idea!  I'm sorry we can't allow it as a contest entry, but you could always pursue it for fun!  I hope you still enter the contest!

• Christopher Marks changed the title to Creative Container Pico Contest - Official Announcement
  • Christopher Marks unfeatured this topic
  • Christopher Marks unpinned this topic