Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Creative Container Pico Contest - Official Announcement

Felicia

HighlyCaffeinated
On 04/10/2017 at 11:53 AM, HarryPotter said:

I ordered a 3 gallon beverage dispenser off amazon warehouse for $4. If anyone copies me we KILL them all :)  @Felicia and @Christopher Marks will back me up! 

Built in easy water change functionality!!! 

I have something similar, I'm thinking of using the hole drilled for the tap to get the airline and heater cable in.

1 minute ago, HighlyCaffeinated said:

I have something similar, I'm thinking of using the hole drilled for the tap to get the airline and heater cable in.

Would you just load the opening with a bunch of silicone? :unsure:

HighlyCaffeinated
3 minutes ago, seabass said:

Would you just load the opening with a bunch of silicone? :unsure:

Thinking either silicon or packing some aqua knead it around to reduce the size first, then silicon to that.

40 minutes ago, HighlyCaffeinated said:

Mine is still in the box xD 

• Like 1
Harrisonbored
1 hour ago, Felicia said:

Attention Contestants! omgomgomg

Brightwell has generously offered to send a free sample of their coral dip, KoralMD, to all of the Creative Container contestants.  All you have to do to get your sample is send an email to socialmedia@brightwellaquatics.com! :happydance:  The free samples will ship out in November.

Thank you to @metrokat for coordinating this wonderful freebie for our contestants!

IMG_20171008_161808.thumb.jpg.5bfb093902

Way too cool !!! 

• Like 5
4 minutes ago, HighlyCaffeinated said:

I don't go much on condiments, does whisky count?

37426285080_7cc7c28e46_c.jpg

I'm like 90% sure Whiskey goes well with anything, therefore it kind of is a condiment. LOL

• Like 5
2 hours ago, HighlyCaffeinated said:

it's used in bbq sauce...so it's condiment:D

4 hours ago, Felicia said:

Brightwell has generously offered to send a free sample of their coral dip, KoralMD, to all of the Creative Container contestants.  All you have to do to get your sample is send an email to socialmedia@brightwellaquatics.com! :happydance:  The free samples will ship out in November.

Thank you to @metrokat for coordinating this wonderful freebie for our contestants!

that's wonderful and very generous!

• Like 3
12 hours ago, Felicia said:

Here I go again, but can I get this thing internationally? If not I can give up another adress (is canada okay?) Or i can maybe get a non-contestant to receive shipment and then send it through to me. 

(Just wanting to make sure, before I make brightwell aquatics uncomfortable by asking for the freebie from a country they don't ship to. 

Although, i do have some products from them, so I guess they have suppliers here)

fishfreak0114
14 hours ago, Felicia said:

That's very generous!

8 hours ago, Lisa166 said:

Here I go again, but can I get this thing internationally? If not I can give up another adress (is canada okay?) Or i can maybe get a non-contestant to receive shipment and then send it through to me. 

(Just wanting to make sure, before I make brightwell aquatics uncomfortable by asking for the freebie from a country they don't ship to. 

Although, i do have some products from them, so I guess they have suppliers here)

Unfortunately I think you'd just need to email the Brightwell email and ask. They may not be able to send the sample internationally, but it wouldn't hurt to ask. I don't know the details regarding their shipping.

18 hours ago, HighlyCaffeinated said:

We're being loose in our definition of condiments. :) Welcome to the contest! Just post a link to your thread and I'll put you on the official list of contestants.

47 minutes ago, Sharbuckle said:

So just checking. Is this light approved? It’s a very basic blue and white led. 

0041D5AB-BF1C-40DE-AFC5-864F7497FDF3.jpeg

Unfortunately, that light would be against the rules. You must use a single LED or fluorescent bulb that screws into an E26/27 household socket.

7 hours ago, duderubble said:

Ok I'm officially in. 

Awesome! I'm not at my computer right now, but when I'm at my computer I'll add you to the official list of contestants.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
On 10/4/2017 at 4:38 PM, Felicia said:

Contest Rules Clarification Updates

Ok, we have discussed and reached the following conclusions regarding the questions that are being asked on this thread.  This post is the official ruling and can be treated as part of the contest rules.

1. Lighting - We are modifying the lighting rule to allow one single bulb with a E26/E27 socket screw type, LED or fluorescent.  We will allow a single fluorescent bulb that fits in a standard household light fixture as an alternative to a single par LED bulb.  I understand that these are not the best lighting option out there, but it is more than sufficient for these small pico containers.  We really want the focus of this contest to be on husbandry skill.  We do not want the competition to be based around the means to purchase expensive equipment.  Lighting is one of those items that can really provide a big advantage if you have the budget to purchase a more expensive light fixture than someone else.  Therefore, we want to level the playing field by having everyone use the same type of lighting.  We chose an inexpensive option because we want this contest to have a low barrier to entry.  We want people on a tighter budget to be able to enter as well.  These systems should be about minimal equipment and being low cost, while focusing on your individual creativity and husbandry skills.  Let's stick to that goal for the contest.
  2. Filtration - In keeping with the goal stated above, we will not be allowing any mechanical or chemical filtration (no AIO partitions, no sponge filters, no carbon, etc.).  For this contest, you are the filtration.  With these small containers, it is much simpler to do large (or even 100% water changes), which makes it easier to use that method to maintain parameters than in large tanks.  Again, think of it as a contest based on your ability to maintain the parameters without a lot of fancy equipment.  We're going to really test all your reefing skills!
  3. International Entries - International Nano-Reef members are welcome to enter and compete!  The more the merrier!  Hopefully since the equipment is simple, there will be similar items abroad to use for the contest.  There is just one disclaimer for the international contestants.  Our sponsors may not be able to ship the prizes internationally due to customs or there may increased costs involved.  If an international contestant wins, they may not be able to receive the prize, or they may have to pay for the international shipping charge.  We will do what we can to sort out if and how we can ship prizes if an international contestant wins.  We'd love to have you compete though for the fun of the competition!
  4. Freshwater Tanks - Sorry, but all entries must be salty (brackish at the minimum), since this is Nano-Reef after all!  If you'd like to set up a freshwater pico container and participate for the fun of it, then that is just fine.  It just won't be an official entry and will not be eligible to win any of the prizes.
  5. Container Modifications - As further clarification to questions regarding modification of containers.  Containers cannot be custom made, but must be pre-existing containers that you have purchased or had on hand.  The only modifications allowed are minor modifications to accommodate qualifying equipment, to allow ventilation, or to create a lid.  We have also decided that minor modifications to seal a container are allowed.  For example, the discussion about the potential for the spigot on the beverage container to leak.  It would be fine to seal off the spigot.  No modifications that involve adding all-in-one partitions or any external plumbing are allowed.  If you are questioning whether your modification is allowed, please post asking about it here or send myself, @pj86, and @Christopher Marks a pm to verify.

I hope this clarifies most of the recent questions.  If you need clarification on anything, please keep asking and I'll keep adding these rule updates/clarifications as needed.

I really like the theme here:  all natural.  As I have seen some of the suggestions on tank bio themes, I see personalities of individuals come out.  For me, as a laissez faire reef keeper, I lean toward easy to maintain themes, like a macro lagoon theme.

image.jpg

• Like 3

Good evening, friends!

Glad to be checking in after being away from this forum for a while!  Hope you all have been well.

I've spent a lovely evening reading this thread without interruption (kid is at a sleepover!) and have decided to toss my hat in the ring!  Thanks to everyone who has spent time and energy clarifying the rules of the contest and making such great suggestions for hardware.  I think I'm ready to go!   

I'll pick up my container tomorrow and start my thread!  What do you think?  It is Halloween season after all!

69175_XXX_v1.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, dmw913 said:

Good evening, friends!

Glad to be checking in after being away from this forum for a while!  Hope you all have been well.

I've spent a lovely evening reading this thread without interruption (kid is at a sleepover!) and have decided to toss my hat in the ring!  Thanks to everyone who has spent time and energy clarifying the rules of the contest and making such great suggestions for hardware.  I think I'm ready to go!   

I'll pick up my container tomorrow and start my thread!  What do you think?  It is Halloween season after all!

69175_XXX_v1.jpg

Oh jeez, I wish I had found that! I was trying to find the bigger size of Crystal Head Vodka so I could use a skull. This should be awesome!!

• Like 3
23 minutes ago, dmw913 said:

69175_XXX_v1.jpg

I just saw that at Walmart and thought immediately of this contest. Can't wait to see what you do with it!

For those still looking for ideas, I have one of these, they are available at Target, and the lid is either plastic, or metal with a plastic liner.  They come in several sizes.  I thought hard about doing this myself but am limiting myself to one tank for now...

15023183.jpg

• Like 4
6 minutes ago, Rene said:

I just saw that at Walmart and thought immediately of this contest. Can't wait to see what you do with it!

For those still looking for ideas, I have one of these, they are available at Target, and the lid is either plastic, or metal with a plastic liner.  They come in several sizes.  I thought hard about doing this myself but am limiting myself to one tank for now...

15023183.jpg

Thanks!  I'm pretty excited; I'm a huge Halloween fan!  I am getting mine from World Market.  The spout looks a little less sketchy and I would really like to employ it for water changes.

1 minute ago, dmw913 said:

Thanks!  I'm pretty excited; I'm a huge Halloween fan!  I am getting mine from World Market.  The spout looks a little less sketchy and I would really like to employ it for water changes.

There's a lot of fear of these spouts leaking, and maybe that would be an eventual concern, but these things are made to hold liquids. I don't see why it wouldn't be worth a try initially and ad long as you design the rockscape so you can remove it, if you choose to keep the tank up in the long-term and it does leak, you can always take everything out and seal the spout up later. It wouldn't be a massive job with a pico. 

It's your tank. Live your dream!  Especially if that dream is skull shaped and clenching a spigot in its' teeth. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Christopher Marks unpinned this topic