Coral Vue Hydros

Creative Container Pico Contest - Official Announcement

Felicia

flatlandreefer

Was looking at the list of entries on page one and noticed mine wasn't on there. Just wanted to make sure my entry wasn't overlooked, entry is on page 12 I believe of this thread. Thanks! 

• Thanks 1
57 minutes ago, schgr.cube said:

So I've seen a few people drill holes for their wiring, but I was told I couldn't drill into my head to make a lid. I am just wondering if it was the extent to which I was drilling, or is any drilling technically a no-go? It would be nice to have some clarification to modifications since a few people have already started doing them.

Drilling into your head isn't recommended.  ;)

On 10/8/2017 at 1:48 AM, Felicia said:

Yeah a small hole to run in airline is fine! Just no drilling for any sort of plumbing or filtration.

• Haha 2
  • Wow 1
38 minutes ago, seabass said:

Drilling into your head isn't recommended.  ;)

Yeah I saw that, but people are drilling for heaters too, which wasn’t discussed. I’m just wondering where this line draws, as I don’t think cutting the top of mine for a lid to make my tank more usable is all that different. It certainly doesn’t give an unfair advantage. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, schgr.cube said:

Yeah I saw that, but people are drilling for heaters too, which wasn’t discussed. I’m just wondering where this line draws, as I don’t think cutting the top of mine for a lid to make my tank more usable is all that different. It certainly doesn’t give an unfair advantage. 

I think it sounds fair for you to be able to drill the head open. 

Especially if all the modifications for the Gumball reef are allowed. 

11 minutes ago, schgr.cube said:

but people are drilling for heaters too

I drilled a 1/2" hole in my jar for my heater cord, temp probe, and airline tubing.  I consider it a small hole that's not for filtration or plumbing.

13 minutes ago, Coral_chef said:

I think it sounds fair for you to be able to drill the head open. 

Especially if all the modifications for the Gumball reef are allowed. 

I haven't seen the gumball reef, but I'll have to check it out.

3 minutes ago, seabass said:

I drilled a 1/2" hole in my jar for my heater cord, temp probe, and airline tubing.  I consider it a small hole that's not for filtration or plumbing.

I mean, I agree, but if the rule sales for airline specifically, and then its all of a sudden okay for heater cord and temp probes as well, then the line just drifted. That's why I'm asking. I think the plumbing aspect is what brings this into a different territory, so I understand not wanting anything like that. But a hole in the top of my head really just allows me a different way of mounting my container, my husbandry is going to be the same no matter what, and my filtration is still going to be biological only.

I'm not trying to be argumentative at all, I just think that if boundaries are going to be set and then people break them without consequences, then it is going to change how I am going to proceed.

As much as I didn't want to initially, I think I am just going to use the head upside down instead of any of my previous ideas. I have started to accept it will make my life easiest.

I still think I have valid points above though, for other peoples sake, so I am going to leave my comments up.

46 minutes ago, schgr.cube said:

but if the rule sales for airline specifically

I wasn't aware that the allowed hole was specifically for airline tubing.  I thought the rule stated a small hole which was not for filtration or plumbing. :unsure:

Judges?

8 minutes ago, seabass said:

I wasn't aware that it was specifically for airline tubing.  I thought the rule stated a small hole with was not for filtration or plumbing. :unsure:

Judges?

I mean that’s the exact wording of what you quoted me above. Maybe I take things too literally lol. :blush:

Edit: either way, I was told drilling the top out of my head to use as a lid was a no. That’s why I even began posting about all of this. 

GunslingerGirl
2 minutes ago, schgr.cube said:

I mean that’s the exact wording of what you quoted me above. Maybe I take things too literally lol. :blush:

Edit: either way, I was told drilling the top out of my head to use as a lid was a no. That’s why I even began posting about all of this. 

I think that is a pretty major change to the structure. A small hole for air tubing isn't a big deal. But not a judge so idk.

• Like 1

I took it to mean inclusively versus exclusively.  Either way I'm fine; I'm not likely to win anyway. :)

Yeah so the line here is that we aren't allowing major modifications that drastically changes the container from its original design. Drilling open one end, and then flipping it over and sealing the previous end is a very major change to the original container. We did however say that minor modifications are allowed to accommodate equipment or seal a container. If you're keeping the original container intact and just sealing off a part that may leak (i.e. The spigots on the drink dispensers), that is fine. Also, drilling small holes to run your airline tubing or cords is just fine. You cannot drill to add any external plumbing and you cannot drill to drastically redesign your container. I hope that line is a bit more clear now.

• Thanks 6

I also want to add that while this line may seem arbitrary, we have put thought behind why we're making this the rule. Basically, there have been questions about building custom containers and once we start allowing big redesigns of containers, it's hard to set a fair and defined line for how much is too far into the custom container category. The spirit of the contest is to find a unique container and see what you can make from it basically in it's original state. I hope that helps explain that we're not making these rules arbitrarily.

• Like 5
1 hour ago, flatlandreefer said:

Was looking at the list of entries on page one and noticed mine wasn't on there. Just wanted to make sure my entry wasn't overlooked, entry is on page 12 I believe of this thread. Thanks! 

I did miss yours!  Sorry about that!  This thread moves so fast, that I've been worried about overlooking entries.  I will add you now!  Thank you for letting me know and sorry for the oversight!

If anyone else notices that I missed their entry, please let me know!  I'm doing my best to get them all, but I may miss some when the thread is moving quickly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
8 minutes ago, Felicia said:

Yeah so the line here is that we aren't allowing major modifications that drastically changes the container from its original design. Drilling open one end, and then flipping it over and sealing the previous end is a very major change to the original container. We did however say that minor modifications are allowed to accommodate equipment or seal a container. If you're keeping the original container intact and just sealing off a part that may leak (i.e. The spigots on the drink dispensers), that is fine. Also, drilling small holes to run your airline tubing or cords is just fine. You cannot drill to add any external plumbing and you cannot drill to drastically redesign your container. I hope that line is a bit more clear now.

Yeah that’s fine, and I understand both the rule and the reasoning behind the. I was fine dropping it initially after I was told I couldn’t do it, but I then saw other things happening that were outside of what I had specifically read. I was also asking to make sure people who had drilled holes for other things than airline wouldn’t have surprise issues later. 

But either way, thanks for the further clarification, and I am okay moving a different direction no matter what.

• Like 4
Just now, schgr.cube said:

Yeah that’s fine, and I understand both the rule and the reasoning behind the. I was fine dropping it initially after I was told I couldn’t do it, but I then saw other things happening that were outside of what I had specifically read. I was also asking to make sure people who had drilled holes for other things than airline wouldn’t have surprise issues later. 

But either way, thanks for the further clarification, and I am okay moving a different direction no matter what.

Thank you for being understanding!  Everyone has such wonderful ideas and I'd like to say yes to all of them, but we do have to set rules to limit the competition to the goal we've envisioned for it.  We are doing our absolute best to be as non-arbitrary as possible, and there is a lot of behind the scenes conversation between myself, Paul, and Christopher to determine what things are allowed.  Hopefully we can keep the rules defined in a way that is fair to everyone and keeps to the spirit of the competition.  Please continue to speak up if you have questions and concerns!  We're taking everything you all are asking very seriously and considering all sides to try to best define the rules.

• Like 3
28 minutes ago, schgr.cube said:

Well here we are folks, I decided to head in a different direction...

37649239272_4863c52766_b.jpg

It isn't so bad I guess.

Fill the tray with sand and make it look like it washed up on the beach! Maybe some shells or driftwood twigs too? Garbage shrapnel even??

• Like 6
3 minutes ago, JoeR said:

Fill the tray with sand and make it look like it washed up on the beach! Maybe some shells or driftwood twigs too? Garbage shrapnel even??

:lol: that’s actually my plan! I guess I didn’t say it here, but I had some more details in my journal. My buddy who lives in Puerto Rico is bringing some stuff from the beach there when he moves up here. 

• Like 6
flatlandreefer
2 hours ago, Felicia said:

I did miss yours!  Sorry about that!  This thread moves so fast, that I've been worried about overlooking entries.  I will add you now!  Thank you for letting me know and sorry for the oversight!

If anyone else notices that I missed their entry, please let me know!  I'm doing my best to get them all, but I may miss some when the thread is moving quickly.

No worries I just happened to notice! Thanks for adding me and keeping up with this competition, I'm sure it's a lot of work! 

• Like 1

Attention Contestants! omgomgomg

Brightwell has generously offered to send a free sample of their coral dip, KoralMD, to all of the Creative Container contestants.  All you have to do to get your sample is send an email to socialmedia@brightwellaquatics.com! :happydance:  The free samples will ship out in November.  Due to liquid restrictions, Brightwell may not be able to ship the sample internationally.

Thank you to @metrokat for coordinating this wonderful freebie for our contestants!

IMG_20171008_161808.thumb.jpg.5bfb093902

• Like 10
  • Wow 5
  • Thanks 4
  • Christopher Marks unpinned this topic