Coral Vue Hydros

Creative Container Pico Contest - Official Announcement

Felicia

23 minutes ago, natalia_la_loca said:

I'm in!

my favorite sauce:

26196712509_0e09f647e5_b.jpg

That is not a condiment. I vote this person out on account of the awesome reefkeeping they have presented earlier and for not using a condiment. And thus making the rest of us more able to win this thing. :lol: 

now send me that stout! :lol::flower:

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

I've swapped containers from a Mason-stein (0.5G) to a Shorty Cookie Jar (0.8G) I should have looked at the rock situation before picking a container. Doh!

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Felicia said:

Awesome!  Just post a link to your build thread here and you'll be officially entered.  Also, I can't tell exactly what that light fixture is, but it does not appear to meet the contest's equipment rules.  Please just double check the rules for the contest and make sure all your equipment qualifies. :)

the light is coming down, as far as a clickable link im not sure how to do that lol

1 hour ago, alprejean said:

the light is coming down, as far as a clickable link im not sure how to do that lol

Great! You can just copy paste the link into a post and it will automatically be clickable.

4 hours ago, natalia_la_loca said:

lol...that is too a condiment  :slap:  I use it to make chili!  (I drink most of it though)

I rule it a condiment! I bake with beer pretty often. :D Stout is wonderful in chocolate cupcakes.

Welcome to the competition! The competition just got pretty steep!omgomgomg

• Like 2
5 hours ago, metrokat said:

That is not a condiment. I vote this person out on account of the awesome reefkeeping they have presented earlier and for not using a condiment. And thus making the rest of us more able to win this thing. :lol: 

now send me that stout! :lol::flower:

I approve this message :D

By the way, speaking of dubious condiments...

I'm in!!! :happydance:

20171027-untitled-001.jpg

• Like 8
  • Wow 2
2 hours ago, teenyreef said:

I approve this message :D

By the way, speaking of dubious condiments...

I'm in!!! :happydance:

20171027-untitled-001.jpg

Yay!  You entered!  I'm excited to see another teeny reef!  I'll add your name to the list of contestants.

2 hours ago, Rene said:

Cookies go on a lot of things. 

Ice cream. 

Sundays. 

Ice cream sundays. 

*shrug*

This is basically my problem in life.  :)

1 hour ago, jahnje said:

Here's our entry:

6qt cambro reef

This should be a lot of fun!

Welcome to the contest!  I'm so excited about how many entries we have.  This is going to be a lot of fun!  I'm adding your name to the list of contestants.

18 minutes ago, alprejean said:

Perfect!  Thank you for posting the link.  Welcome to the contest!  I love the giant wine glass!  I'm adding your name to the list of contestants in the first post of this thread.

• Like 4
9 hours ago, natalia_la_loca said:

lol...that is too a condiment  :slap:  I use it to make chili!  (I drink most of it though)

Touche. Gonna try some beer with my next chili batch. I promise to put some of it in the chili  :D.

• Like 1

I think we're confusing condiments and ingredients. :lol:  However, you'll get no protest here.  You could make a case that you dip fries (or something) in it.

On a completely separate note.  I just know how hard it was to evaluate the entries from the last contest.  With so many more contestants (when it comes time to judge), maybe we should work out something which allows people to see everybody's pico in one thread.

I thought that maybe each contestant would post (in a voting poll thread) a summary of their project, with a FTS and no more than three other pictures, and a link to their build thread.  That way members wouldn't have to click links unless they really wanted to read more about a specific pico.

I also really wanted to vote for more than one entry, and possibly even change my vote.  I think all of those options are allowed in our polls.  These are just some thoughts; I'm sure that you guys can work out the guidelines.  But with 45+ entries, I think we should try to simplify the voting process a little.

Maybe a moderator could even delete any comment posts, so that just contestant summaries are displayed (as it might be hard not to react to some of these amazing picos).  I even thought about using the "like" feature to vote, but that wouldn't be anonymous and people might be tempted to like everyone's posts.

• Like 10
  • Haha 1
23 hours ago, natalia_la_loca said:

I'm in!

my favorite sauce:

26196712509_0e09f647e5_b.jpg

I added your name to the list of contestants in the first post of this thread.  Welcome to the contest!

10 hours ago, seabass said:

I think we're confusing condiments and ingredients. :lol:  However, you'll get no protest here.  You could make a case that you dip fries (or something) in it.

On a completely separate note.  I just know how hard it was to evaluate the entries from the last contest.  With so many more contestants (when it comes time to judge), maybe we should work out something which allows people to see everybody's pico in one thread.

I thought that maybe each contestant would post (in a voting poll thread) a summary of their project, with a FTS and no more than three other pictures, and a link to their build thread.  That way members wouldn't have to click links unless they really wanted to read more about a specific pico.

I also really wanted to vote for more than one entry, and possibly even change my vote.  I think all of those options are allowed in our polls.  These are just some thoughts; I'm sure that you guys can work out the guidelines.  But with 45+ entries, I think we should try to simplify the voting process a little.

Maybe a moderator could even delete any comment posts, so that just contestant summaries are displayed (as it might be hard not to react to some of these amazing picos).  I even thought about using the "like" feature to vote, but that wouldn't be anonymous and people might be tempted to like everyone's posts.

All great ideas!  Christopher, Paul, and I will all work together towards the end of the contest to try to put together a voting system that will make things as simple as possible.  We'll definitely take input to try to streamline things!  I agree that there are going to be a lot of contestants' threads to look through!  The turn-out for this contest is incredible!  I'm so excited about how many entries we have!

• Like 4
43 minutes ago, duderubble said:

I'd love to see a FTS thread with no comments just a monthly FTS from each participant. Maybe a FTS and one feature photo. 

Maybe we can make a locked thread that only the contest administrators can edit so there aren't a bunch of comments.  We could collect all the monthly FTS's from each contestant and make a monthly post.  I'll talk to Christopher Marks about this and see what we can set up!

• Like 8

Yeah, with so may contestants it's really really really hard to keep up with them all.  Having a FTS thread with just photos would be a HUGE help :D.

I'm trying to keep up with them all, but it's so hard LOL.

• Like 2

If the FTS threads pictures were linked to the individuals thread then the comments would be streamlined.

Also it would be important to update the thread each month with the contestants newest FTS.

fishfreak0114

It's awesome how many people have joined!  I think I'm following every thread, and I can't keep up!  It sure is fun though seeing what everyone has come up with.  There's still time to join in!

• Like 2
20 hours ago, Felicia said:

Maybe we can make a locked thread that only the contest administrators can edit so there aren't a bunch of comments.  We could collect all the monthly FTS's from each contestant and make a monthly post.  I'll talk to Christopher Marks about this and see what we can set up!

I'm pretty sure with the last contest there was a lot of chatter in the FTS thread. Locking it for admins only would probably really, really help considering the number of contestants participating this time! 

• Like 4

what is the smallest, best heater to use on such small tanks? my tank is sitting at 71. i see the beta heaters are cooking tanks :( is there a thread on this topic? any help would be nice, thanks

36 minutes ago, alprejean said:

what is the smallest, best heater to use on such small tanks? my tank is sitting at 71. i see the beta heaters are cooking tanks :( is there a thread on this topic? any help would be nice, thanks

The betta heaters work well if you use a temperature controller.  I use a Bettastik with a controller.

For a small heater with a thermostat: ARCHAEA MINI AQUARIUM HEATER (25W) ULTRA SLIM

• Like 2
MainelyReefer
13 hours ago, alprejean said:

Also check out cobalt Aquatics mini therm, its indestructible so less sketchy when working in tank than the little glass one, however its an always on model so needs a controller, increasing cost and effort to research the right controller for you. I use a DA reefkeeper lite basic, not the cheapest option but is plug and play, no siliconing a temp probe or other junk.  And it functions as much more than a temp controller when desired

Christopher Marks

Just two days left to enter! omgomgomg 

The turn out so far is absolutely incredible! We will work on a way to organize a list of entrants journals in a good visual way to help everyone keep track. We will need help from everyone participating to keep their monthly FTS up to date, probably via PM. We’ll get that all sorted out soon :) 

A summary journal post at the end of the contest will also be requested of everyone to help summarize the start to finish progress of each pico, for the sake of voting.

• Like 9
  • Christopher Marks unpinned this topic