Top Shelf Aquatics

New Nano

raggedfinfirefish

raggedfinfirefish

Ok I've finally gotten around to the nano now that my 55 has been up and running for long enough so now I want to make sure I do it right.

Ok to start I got some free un-cured live rock and have put it in my 4 gallon nano tank (see pic) and was wondering should I put the sand in now or later?

Another thing is what kind of power head would you reccomend?

A couple more things,

Should I add more LR, Im thinkin like one more peice?

What watt/type of heater should I use?

What filter would you reccomend?

What softies would work with a small clown goby?

What lighting would you reccomend?

and Would I need a protien skimmer?

Thanks

Originally posted by raggedfinfirefish

Should I add more LR, Im thinkin like one more peice?

What watt/type of heater should I use?

What filter would you reccomend?

What softies would work with a small clown goby?

What lighting would you reccomend?

and Would I need a protien skimmer?

Thanks

1. You could try breaking up the LR piece, and adding a little more. Smaller pieces will make your tank look larger.

2. The yhave little heaters at Walmart, don't know how good they are for saltwater, but you may be able to pick up a small 25 watt heater at a decent LFS.

3. No filter needed, just get 1 or 2 micro-jets. They have different nozzle inserts to reduce/increase flow. You can reduce it to like 50 GPH. Table top fountain pumps could work as well. Utilize your LR as filtration.

4. Don't see many problems with a clown goby, as lonng as he doesn't harrass the coral to death. Mine hasn't messed with anything so far.

5. As for lighting, this may work- http://www.hellolights.com/9micoaq.html . For my aquavase, I have a 20w coralife screw in pc bulb. It's 50/50, and I created a retrofit reflector, and mounted it via a gooseneck table lamp arm. Works like a charm.

6. No need for a skimmer, just do weekly 1/3 water changes for export.

HTH

raggedfinfirefish

Ok I just bought a powerhead and didnt pick up any sand so just a couple more ?s.

After the Live Rock is cured would I then put in the sand AND then there would be the cycle or is curing the LR the cycle?

Would you say 2 50-50's or 1 50-50?

raggedfinfirefish

O.K. I've got some interts and corals I'm thinking about lemme see what you think.

Inteverts

Electric Orange Hermit-1

Feather Duster-1

Turbo/Bumblebee Snail-2

Flame Scallop-1

Blood Red/Peperment Shrimp-1

Corals

Toadstool Mushroom

Elephant Ear

Spotted Mushroom

Some Zoos ????

What do you think?

What kind of lighting did you decide on? I hear flame scallops are hard to keep. Zoos will require some pretty good lighting. Def. go with the shrooms

Got any more pics?

all the corals are cool.

no to the flame scallop, they are a pain to keep. Do a search on them and you will find countless threads.

no to the electric orange hermit, they just get too big. I have one in my 12 and it has to go for its own sake. Go for a scarlet instead.

Good luck and HTH,

chris

raggedfinfirefish

I havent really decided on lighting, what do you reccomend because I could easily upgrade the lighting in the hood. O.K. no scallop and electric orange, oh and I 4got the clown goby in that list and one does curing the rock count as my cycle? Oh and heres a pic of the rock curing and my new powerhead... i dunno y u wanna see it though... lol. So go scarlet hermit, they're nonaggressive right? Any imput is welcome!

I could post a picture of the lighting over my pico for you if you want. My zoos are looking really good in there, and I'm looking to possibly add a stalk or two of xenia in the near future. I would add the sand as soon as possibly, in order for the sand to have enough time to be seeded by the rock.

The scarlet is as non aggressive as yer gonna get when it comes to hermits.

The cycle is the curing of the rock. When all the nitrites and ammonia ave gone bye bye it is ready.

One 50/50 is fine on that. Of course, you gotta tell us wattage, but I think anything you find will be cool. The screw ins are perfect. None of those corals need tons of light at all. The zoos will be just fine.

If that 55 is SW grab a bit of substrate from it and toss it in. This will help the cycle tremendously. Keep in mind that you don't even need sand. many here run bare bottom tanks and rely solely on the rock. Personally, I don't like the look so I say add sand. If it is new sand dont worry, the rock will seed the sand.

raggedfinfirefish

I think I'll use a 50-50 20 or 25 watt and my tank is running a little low on sand (stupid mistake vacuming gravel, won't do it agian) so I may just add more sand to it when i take some out! Would that be safe? Oh and stupid question time, there is a film on the top of the water every day so I siphon it off, is this normal? Oh and thanks for the pics!

raggedfinfirefish

Oh I forgot to ask would maybe a stalk of Xenia work in there too? and I found 2 different lights one is a 15 watt 50-50 and the other is a 25 watt 50-50 should I go with the 25 or would that be overkill?

nah, get the 25. xenia would be fine if you like it.

You can seed sand whenever you like in the 55. I wouldn't remove any now that you mention you are low. Add sand to the 55 and the 4. Let them seed themselves, the 4 via the cycle itself.

raggedfinfirefish

Alright then sounds like a plan just one question, there is this nasty film on the top of my tank every day is this the normal curing process?

Archived