ReefCleaners.org

Biocube 32 intank fuge not working well

Strabel1

I have a biocube 32 with the intank media basket and fuge basket, Im magnafuge led with chaeto that's not working very well. The macro seems to bleach out or turn a light color not dark green like when I first buy it, also it seems to get almost mushy as well. I wanted to get people's opinions or thoughts who have used the back chamber as a refugium with or without success. I don't know why it's not growing well and it's frustrating. 

About my tank,

media basket running filter floss purigen and chemipure elite

fuge basket with chaeto and magnafuge led

chamber 3 stock return pump and heater

2 clowns , 1 lawnmower blenny

frogspawn, hammer, ricordea, mushroom, lobo, mini acan, assorted zoas, trumpet, galaxea, gsp.

tanks been running for about 3 or 4 months

Edited by Strabel1
Added information
  • 1 month later...
This guy is extra salty

Well the chaeto is dying and releasing nutrients back into the water column... are you having algae issues?

i had the same issue, i figured out it was a couple things. Light, flow, and maintenance.

seems you have a strong enough light, try upgrading flow. Then remove excess or “faded” chaeto, it’s supposed to be a dark green

I have a mj1200 return pump and 2 jebao pp4's , and I do 5 gallon weekly water changes. I wouldn't consider my tank as having any algae issues. This is my first mixed reef/saltwater tank. My Hanna phosphate checker always reads zero.