Coral Vue Hydros

Swifty3565

Hi everyone.  I'm new here and just setting up my tank (Biocube 32).  Not entirely new to the hobby but I've been out of it for about 10 years, so much has changed.    The tank has been up for about 5 days right now and currently has about 27lbs of live rock and 20lbs of Caribsea Arag-Alive special grade reef sand.  Just researching my options for wave makers. 

The plan is for some mushrooms, zoas, and some polyps.  Planning on  3-5 fish at this time.  Just want to make sure I have plenty of flow and looking at some decent options.  Right now I am deciding between the Current USA eflux wave pump kit 660 GPH or the Tunze USA 6045 nano stream.    Just looking for some thoughts and opinions on these two options.  All input is welcome.  Thanks in advance.

JMO, an MP40 on a 32 biocube is over kill.  I have an MP10 in my 32 bio cube and I don't go above 40%.  The fish start to hide from the flow above this pwer level.  If you had a 60 gallon tank or up, an MP40 is fine.  Decide on the budget and go form there based on the specs.  These pumps start to shine when you hit the 40% and up mark.  An MP40 at 1 or 2 is not really taking advantage of the pump.

Any of the wave pumps will be good.  It depends if you want the ability to adjust from your phone or inline, then the price goes up.

And welcome from Michigan!

Swifty, I think I met you at Kee's..

Reefaddiction

Haha to each there own... I have an MP10qd on a 14 gallon customized biocube set at about 35-40% max power on reef crest mode and the tank is thriving.. just depends on your tank requirements. An MP40 is nice in that it let's you upgrade the tank size down the road when tank fever sets in... and it happens to all of us : )

Vortechs are definitely an investment but damn they are awesome powerheads. But there are plenty of good cheaper options out there that produce great flow. Glad to hear you are getting back into the hobby! Good luck, keep posting with questions and updates!

Hydor Korallia < Jaebo wp series < Current Marine < TunzeMaxspect Gyre <= Ecotech Marine :D

At the end of the day it really comes down to budget. A $250 Mp 10 will "technically" move as much water as a $55 Jaebo WP-10 just in a different way with different options for control. Keep in mind with the nicer "branded" power heads like maxspec and ecotech you are paying for their customer support which is notoriously very good for both. 

Bulk reef supply has a good video here detailing the different new powerheads and how they move water. 

Also for reference I currently run 1 jaebo wp-10 on my 20gallon. If I could afford it I would probably buy a mp10 QD but I spend all my money on corals :lol:

1 hour ago, Reefaddiction said:

Haha to each there own... I have an MP10qd on a 14 gallon customized biocube set at about 35-40% max power on reef crest mode and the tank is thriving.. just depends on your tank requirements. An MP40 is nice in that it let's you upgrade the tank size down the road when tank fever sets in... and it happens to all of us : )

Vortechs are definitely an investment but damn they are awesome powerheads. But there are plenty of good cheaper options out there that produce great flow. Glad to hear you are getting back into the hobby! Good luck, keep posting with questions and updates!

Post a pic, love to plan my next tank.

Thanks for all the input everyone.  I am starting to lean more towards the eflux than the Tunze simply because of the control that is available on the eflux.  Is this a valid reason or might I be missing something?  While i can appreciate the case for the MP 10 or 40, I am just not ready to spend the extra money at this time.

• Like 2
Reefaddiction
16 hours ago, Flexin said:

Post a pic, love to plan my next tank.

Absolutely. I actually just ordered some gel filters for my phones camera so hopefully they will produce nice looking pics without all the blues being overpowering. As soon as I get them, I'll take a few pics.

• Like 1

Well I went ahead and ordered the eflux.  I just installed it today and so far it's great.  Very quiet, lots of adjustability and very good flow.  I will keep you posted.

• Like 1
Reefaddiction
On 10/2/2017 at 7:33 AM, Reefaddiction said:

Absolutely. I actually just ordered some gel filters for my phones camera so hopefully they will produce nice looking pics without all the blues being overpowering. As soon as I get them, I'll take a few pics.

IMG_3269.JPG

• Like 1
Reefaddiction

Sorry swifty... didn't mean to hijack your thread.. someone asked to see my tank so I just posted a picture of it on there response. 

I'm using a kessil A80 with the spectral controller. I think it has a great look for nano tanks. And yes it definitely has that kessil shimmer.

2 hours ago, Reefaddiction said:

Sorry swifty... didn't mean to hijack your thread.. someone asked to see my tank so I just posted a picture of it on there response. 

I'm using a kessil A80 with the spectral controller. I think it has a great look for nano tanks. And yes it definitely has that kessil shimmer.

No problem and thanks for sharing the pic of your tank.