inTank Media Baskets

Fluval Evo 13.5 LIGHT upgrade - anyone???

Lugmos12

On 09/10/2017 at 11:30 PM, Madcat said:

Right?? I wondered if the problem is the hose, which came with the stock pump and which I use with the 900 too, because I haven't cleaned it and am not sure how to. But when I rinse it, water comes through just fine. There'd have to be a pretty hefty blockage to cause such a piddly flow, I think.

I do use the stock lights. They grow my corals pretty good - I just have softies and some LPS. They do NOT flatter my corals, though. My Rastas look like Green Bay Packers, my "mint chocolate chip" palys are poop brown. I really need a bluer light and I'm thinking I'll upgrade to an AI Prime HD when I can - I've seen a few good deals locally for used ones with a mount, and it just makes sense vs. something like a Kessil A80 when you factor in what a mount and a controller would cost for that. But I'm broke right now and in need of a new pump, obviously.

I use an mj600 in my IM 10g. That's all I use because it provides that much flow. I used to have a powerhead in the display but my corals were closing up...it was too much.

To clean the hose. Remove the hose and pump.

Fill a container with water and vinegar.

Take apart the pump to soak it and impeller.

Soak hose.

Use a small baby bottle brush to clean inside the hose.

Rinse everything under running water.

Replace.

This should be done every 2-3 months as the crud builds up and effects the flow rate

On 04/10/2017 at 7:24 PM, aerotiy said:

I have the PS2 mini skimmer in the first chamber so I only have the second to play around with :unsure: do you think it’d be a good idea to use the filter floss, chemipure & the bio ring bag that comes with the tank in that second chamber? 

I'd use a good carbon, filter floss, phos media  (If/When needed) and purigen.

Using custom media is more effective.

The down side to the chemipures is that the additional media added in with the carbon is so little it becomes exhausted quickly.

As for lights.

The stock light is good for lps and softies. The down side of the stock light is it's limitations on controllability.

An Ai Prime (doesn't need to be hd) will be plenty of light for the tank. It's quite powerful.

6 hours ago, Clown79 said:

I'd use a good carbon, filter floss, phos media  (If/When needed) and purigen.

Using custom media is more effective.

The down side to the chemipures is that the additional media added in with the carbon is so little it becomes exhausted quickly.

As for lights.

The stock light is good for lps and softies. The down side of the stock light is it's limitations on controllability.

An Ai Prime (doesn't need to be hd) will be plenty of light for the tank. It's quite powerful.

I got inTank’s custom Fluval Evo chamber two basket, put two layers of poly filter floss on the bottom, the old bio ball bag and carbon bag that I was using before in the middle section, and some Purigen on the top layer. 

I upgraded to the Orbit Marine IC LED system about a week ago solely for the controllability, the stock lights seemed to make my corals happy. I just needed timer function and the sunset/sunrise, moonrise/moonset features are a bonus.

1 hour ago, aerotiy said:

I got inTank’s custom Fluval Evo chamber two basket, put two layers of poly filter floss on the bottom, the old bio ball bag and carbon bag that I was using before in the middle section, and some Purigen on the top layer. 

I upgraded to the Orbit Marine IC LED system about a week ago solely for the controllability, the stock lights seemed to make my corals happy. I just needed timer function and the sunset/sunrise, moonrise/moonset features are a bonus.

Bioballs can become a nutrient issue. Most don't use or recommend them.

Carbon needs replacing every 3 weeks minimum and rinsed weekly.

1 hour ago, Clown79 said:

Bioballs can become a nutrient issue. Most don't use or recommend them.

Carbon needs replacing every 3 weeks minimum and rinsed weekly.

I’ve been replacing the carbon every three weeks and rinsing during water changes. I didn’t know about the bioballs being an issue, though, thanks; I’ll remove it.

3 hours ago, aerotiy said:

I’ve been replacing the carbon every three weeks and rinsing during water changes. I didn’t know about the bioballs being an issue, though, thanks; I’ll remove it.

Remove only a portion at a time. Not all at once

5 hours ago, Clown79 said:

Remove only a portion at a time. Not all at once

Oh no I replaced my carbon and threw away the bio balls bag before I left for work earlier :( 

3 hours ago, aerotiy said:

Oh no I replaced my carbon and threw away the bio balls bag before I left for work earlier :( 

Just keep an eye on things and be prepared to do a water change.  If you have anything like Microbacter or Biospira, and Seachem Prime, you can add a little of those to mitigate any possible ammonia occurrences.

• Like 1
thespinningsadhu
On 10/11/2017 at 10:14 PM, Lugmos12 said:

He did. Haven't seen him post in some time so I'm not sure how it's going for him.

hey ya’ll. i’m so busy i just come home and crash after chores and such. i’ve missed ya’ll. 

the light is great. and very affordable. can’t go wrong  with it. 

• Like 1

Lol. We all crash from time to time.

Glad the lights working out!

Do you have a journal to document the changes and the experience you've had with the change?

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, thespinningsadhu said:

nope, i posted some not good news over on my journal. i’m still in disbelief. 

maybe the ricordea melted cause light is too intense?

I bought the light from a fellow reefer from here so now i'm getting nervous lol

• 2 years later...
On 10/4/2017 at 6:19 PM, Lugmos12 said:

In chamber 1 i have the intank basket with filter floss and chemipure. in chamber two i got rid of the stock black sponge and i just have my heater and some live rock. all my chemical filtration happens in chamber 1

How often do you change the chemipure?