Top Shelf Aquatics

Fluval Evo 13.5 LIGHT upgrade - anyone???

Lugmos12

I want to upgrade the pump on my tank. It's slow and gets clogged up easily.

I've seen a bunch of builds here with different pumps. If you upgraded: to what pump and how has it been so far?

What about lights? I've seen people rave about AI Prime and even Kessil, and some use Current USA (with lukewarm reviews)

thespinningsadhu

hey. it’s the sponge. take that ####er out and you’ll not have any more problems.  it causes more problems than just making the filtration run slow.  también, hará que tu pito se vea más grande. en serio. prometo. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, thespinningsadhu said:

hey. it’s the sponge. take that ####er out and you’ll not have any more problems.  it causes more problems than just making the filtration run slow.  también, hará que tu pito se vea más grande. en serio. prometo. 

9 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Remove the sponge. It's a nutrient factory.

i was having to clean that shit every week

• Thanks 1
Just now, Lugmos12 said:

i was having to clean that shit every week

And you can't clean it enough to remove everything.

Using filter floss which is replaced 2 times a week prevents the problems that sponges cause

• Like 1
Just now, Clown79 said:

And you can't clean it enough to remove everything.

Using filter floss which is replaced 2 times a week prevents the problems that sponges cause

you’re talking about the little sponge in the pump right? bc i already got rid of the big sponge supposed to be used on chamber 2

thespinningsadhu

yes, the little black sponge inside the pump. 

also

when you put it back together completely (including the hose) put it in a bucket of distilled water and turn it on. you won’t BELIEVE the amount of crap that blows out. I had no idea until i did it inside my tank. and i’d taken the thing apart and rinsed it all out and thought it was clean. it was incredible. you won’t believe what comes out. 

• Wow 1
49 minutes ago, thespinningsadhu said:

yes, the little black sponge inside the pump. 

also

when you put it back together completely (including the hose) put it in a bucket of distilled water and turn it on. you won’t BELIEVE the amount of crap that blows out. I had no idea until i did it inside my tank. and i’d taken the thing apart and rinsed it all out and thought it was clean. it was incredible. you won’t believe what comes out. 

I guess I'll have to do the first part tomorrow and the second part during my next water change

On 10/1/2017 at 8:50 PM, Lugmos12 said:

you’re talking about the little sponge in the pump right? bc i already got rid of the big sponge supposed to be used on chamber 2

What filter media are you using in chamber 2 if you don’t mind me asking? I’m still using all the stock media but have been thinking about changing it out and don’t know what’s the most effective. And the info about the sponge inside the pump was really useful I’ll have to do that as well :happy:

Just now, aerotiy said:

What filter media are you using in chamber 2 if you don’t mind me asking? I’m still using all the stock media but have been thinking about changing it out and don’t know what’s the most effective. And the info about the sponge inside the pump was really useful I’ll have to do that as well :happy:

In chamber 1 i have the intank basket with filter floss and chemipure. in chamber two i got rid of the stock black sponge and i just have my heater and some live rock. all my chemical filtration happens in chamber 1

2 minutes ago, Lugmos12 said:

In chamber 1 i have the intank basket with filter floss and chemipure. in chamber two i got rid of the stock black sponge and i just have my heater and some live rock. all my chemical filtration happens in chamber 1

I have the PS2 mini skimmer in the first chamber so I only have the second to play around with :unsure: do you think it’d be a good idea to use the filter floss, chemipure & the bio ring bag that comes with the tank in that second chamber? 

12 minutes ago, aerotiy said:

I have the PS2 mini skimmer in the first chamber so I only have the second to play around with :unsure: do you think it’d be a good idea to use the filter floss, chemipure & the bio ring bag that comes with the tank in that second chamber? 

I don't think bio rings are effective in SW tanks. Intank has a basket for chamber two.

• Thanks 1

I "upgraded" a few weeks ago to the Cobalt MJ900 (230gph, versus the stock pump 132gph). No discernible difference in flow. I'm pretty annoyed. Waste of money. I guess I'm gonna try the MJ1200 since it's so much less expensive than a Sicce pump (I've seen the 1.5 recommended) and I can't complain about noise or anything with the 900. It's just weak as hell.

• Wow 1
9 minutes ago, Madcat said:

I "upgraded" a few weeks ago to the Cobalt MJ900 (230gph, versus the stock pump 132gph). No discernible difference in flow. I'm pretty annoyed. Waste of money. I guess I'm gonna try the MJ1200 since it's so much less expensive than a Sicce pump (I've seen the 1.5 recommended) and I can't complain about noise or anything with the 900. It's just weak as hell.

that's bizarre - a 100gph difference. wow. are you running stock lights?

3 minutes ago, Lugmos12 said:

that's bizarre - a 100gph difference. wow. are you running stock lights?

Right?? I wondered if the problem is the hose, which came with the stock pump and which I use with the 900 too, because I haven't cleaned it and am not sure how to. But when I rinse it, water comes through just fine. There'd have to be a pretty hefty blockage to cause such a piddly flow, I think.

I do use the stock lights. They grow my corals pretty good - I just have softies and some LPS. They do NOT flatter my corals, though. My Rastas look like Green Bay Packers, my "mint chocolate chip" palys are poop brown. I really need a bluer light and I'm thinking I'll upgrade to an AI Prime HD when I can - I've seen a few good deals locally for used ones with a mount, and it just makes sense vs. something like a Kessil A80 when you factor in what a mount and a controller would cost for that. But I'm broke right now and in need of a new pump, obviously.

• Like 1
Just now, Madcat said:

Right?? I wondered if the problem is the hose, which came with the stock pump and which I use with the 900 too, because I haven't cleaned it and am not sure how to. But when I rinse it, water comes through just fine. There'd have to be a pretty hefty blockage to cause such a piddly flow, I think.

I do use the stock lights. They grow my corals pretty good - I just have softies and some LPS. They do NOT flatter my corals, though. My Rastas look like Green Bay Packers, my "mint chocolate chip" palys are poop brown. I really need a bluer light and I'm thinking I'll upgrade to an AI Prime HD when I can - I've seen a few good deals locally for used ones with a mount, and it just makes sense vs. something like a Kessil A80 when you factor in what a mount and a controller would cost for that. But I'm broke right now and in need of a new pump, obviously.

Maybe there's calcium buildup inside the hose?