Top Shelf Aquatics

Help with Fluval PS2 Mini Skimmer

aerotiy

Hello, I’m hoping someone has experience with these protein skimmers - this is my first saltwater tank so my first time using one of these. There is water coming out around the water level control knob and I don’t know if that’s normal or not... I also notice the collection cup fills with what looks to be clear water and nothing that looks like what I expected skimmate to look like. I attached a few pictures to show where to bubbles are coming up to and where the water seems to be leaking out of if that helps. The skimmer was designed for this tank so I don’t think it’d be an issue concerning how deep it is in the water but I could be wrong.

0430620B-CE34-4EF1-BDA4-DDEF9FA6100B.jpeg

6B9B2DF1-6AA9-4118-BEE8-443D55163C7E.jpeg

Thrassian Atoll

I don't anything about this skimmer but usually you want bubbles at the base of the collection cup where it sits on the skimmer.  You can either turn down the Air, pump or raise the skimmer.

thespinningsadhu

I have this tank and skimmer. You have to adjust both the air valve and the black knob that does the water level. Watch the fluval youtube video on the skimmer. You kind of just have to play around with it.

If there is water coming out around the control knob you're not letting enough air into the chamber to force it down and create bubbles. I think. I could be wrong.

• 4 years later...

This model has a problem with the seems sealing tight. Youl notice that the only seam under the capture cup is slightly separated. Some super glue or silicone will take care of it

Bigals-nano-1

These skimmers can be a bit of a nightmare to set properly but once you understand how they work it is quite easy to adjust. The large knob is basically just connected to a gate kind of shutter that controls how much water flows out the overflow. If you lift the skimmer out and look to set it fully open so that the leading edge of the gate is right at the start of the overflow slots. I put a mark inline with the join in the plastic casting so I know this fully open position. You only need to turn this big knob 1/4 turn from it to go from fully open to fully closed so when you are adjusting it, it only requires very small movements. Start with the small air valve on the top of the collection cup full unscrewed to the last thread then slowly close the big knob by turning it clockwise until the micro bubbles come upto to touch the bottom of the collection cup. Once the bubbles are stable slowly close the small air valve about 1/4 turn at a time until you see bubbles rising up the middle of the collection cup. If you find that the collection cup fills up to quickly, you are skimming too wet and need to open the big knob slightly by turning it very slightly anti clockwise. You are looking for the collection cup to be filling up with nice tea coloured water over the corse of 3-5 days. Hope this helps you. 

402AD89D-3838-4514-8F88-541DB9308894.jpeg