SaltCritters.com

Anyone here with a xenia garden?

Horsey_Cat

12 hours ago, ChristiansNano said:

Mine is growing good.. 

I dont do anything but clean the glass and the skimmer.. 

My last water change was a year ago.

Did weekly when the tank was young, but after å year i started just testing monthly... and as long ås it's all good i dont do anything.

I feed two times å day with artemia and mysis.

20170909_222225.jpg

Thats amazing, so once a tank matures enough you don't even have to do tons of water changes as long as you have a skimmer. Do you run a filter too or just a skimmer?

Ive considered running my tank filterless. My filter is what I hide my heater in, and its the only flow in the tank. Also, even after a few days to a week I can see how much crap my filter floss pad has collected. 

1 hour ago, Horsey_Cat said:

How long did that take to grow from a couple small stalks?

Been in the tank for about 1.5 years. There was a month or two where it stayed closed up tight.

Some got lost during a tank switch and I've thrown some away to keep it from spreading. It'll detach itself to spread.

1 hour ago, Horsey_Cat said:

How long did that take to grow from a couple small stalks?

mine took like 2.5 months? the original frag was very small. you can see below that a branch broke from the main stalk and attached itself to the live rock (which itself is a piece of rock attached to the main rock - this way i can easily take t out and control how it spreads)

C4EC50B7-A6C3-4E97-B271-C987475B960B.jpeg

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Horsey_Cat said:

Thats amazing, so once a tank matures enough you don't even have to do tons of water changes as long as you have a skimmer. Do you run a filter too or just a skimmer?

Ive considered running my tank filterless. My filter is what I hide my heater in, and its the only flow in the tank. Also, even after a few days to a week I can see how much crap my filter floss pad has collected. 

No thats necessarily how it works. Just because you have a skimmer doesn't mean you should skimp on waterchanges.

It may work for some tanks but avoiding waterchanges isn't always beneficial for most.

Not only does it export nutrients but it replenishes many elements, including the ones you don't test for.

Waterchanges allow you to keep your sand bed clean and blast the rocks.

You can try filterless but it's a bit harder to maintain the tank.

mine sends out little stalks everywhere. the current blows them around so there's no way to control it. I've got 17- 23 little colonies scattered around my 10 gallon. If you poke at em or trim them they grow really aggressively, but only if they are well established. mine also moves around and leaves little foot pads on each "step" that grow out.

ChristiansNano
21 hours ago, Horsey_Cat said:

Well, i run a large skimmer and a good uv light. I also have a large clam. And a lot of inverts that keep the tank and the sump clean. 

Regular waterchanges is a good way to maintain a healty tank until you know you tank and your reefing skills. :)