inTank Media Baskets

The frogfish tank: Equipment ordered!

YaBoyLaj

So, this is a project i've wanted to start for close to a year now and i finally convinced myself to do it. I've always been fascinated by anglers, mainly the ceratioid species, but those live <1000 meters below sea level and will most likely never be able to be kept and healthy in an aquarium. So, I have settled on getting an Antennarius Pictus or Painted frogfish. I plan on using a 20g tall as the tank, an aquaclear 20 to run media, and the eshopps PSK-75H skimmer due to the amount of poop these guys can make and for the amount of zooplankon i will have to feed :D for lighting i'll probably run a current strip, since I don't really plan on keeping anything other than sponges in the tank, there's no need to really run a hardcore light over this thing, but that's still up in the air. I will be using Caribsea Arag-alive black sand and the scape will be dominated by branch rock so he has a ton of perches and ambush spots. Any suggestions will be gladly appreciated and I will keep this thread as picture updated as possible!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Hobbs said:

Sounds pretty cool! I think some mushrooms or other softies like Xenia/ Kenya tree might work too in there

I definately have a stockpile of xenia in my 30!  Maybe i'll move some over!

IMG_2047.JPG

So we got the tank! I will be ordering my Reef Octopus NS-80, Aquaclear 20 and purchasing the tonga rock, sicce voyager nano, current strip and substrate today!

Also, I shouldve mentioned, I dropped the tank size from a 20 to a 10 for the reason that my house has almost no space left for anything, so the idea of a pictus is out the window, but i have been researching pygmy angler fish (Antennatus tuberosus) and fell in love, they don't exceed 2.5" and since I'll be running a skimmer, carbon and macros, I don't think it would be a big problem to have one of them in the tank. I have read they can be very cryptic tho, so my plan is to use minimal rock, but enough to where he can feel safe. The largest problem about these guys is how rarely they enter the hobby, I've seen hawaiian ones for 99 bucks, which isn't that bad, but never are in stock, so i may have to resort to Diver's Den :D

flatlandreefer

Sounds like a neat build.  I like seeing updates from inappropriate reefer on youtube of his frog fish tank.  I hope you have better luck with the ns-80 than I did, I never could get the micro-bubbles to completely go away so i pulled the skimmer out and installed an algae reactor. 

Yeah 10g will be tough, but seems like you're going about it the right way. Just be patient for the right angler! Check with LFS to see if they can keep an eye out. Sometimes they just won't order them because they don't think they'll have a buyer. The best way I've done it is to actually put a deposit down to let them know you're serious, and keep asking every week.

I'm thinking of creating a little fuge area in my sump for one of these tuberos.

4 hours ago, ThePaontedFrogfish said:

I actually work at my LFS, been there for 1.5 years so i definitely have priority haha, I'll try snagging one on the next fish order we place :P

Oh well then, you'll have one sooner than anyone else would ;) Save me one?

Stick with the pygmy Hawaiians if only running a ten and all will be good.

I have had one in a 14 AIO for a few now and just run macro and all is good.

IMG_3719.jpg

35 minutes ago, kinetic said:

OMG that is amazing. Hawaiian one? Also, aren't Hawaii animals soon to be no longer collected?

Yes mine is a Hawaiian Pygmy. As for collected could be but I got it a about 5 months ago from a local shop.

Great little fish. They doo hide but I know where to look now.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, spectra said:

Yes mine is a Hawaiian Pygmy. As for collected could be but I got it a about 5 months ago from a local shop.

Great little fish. They doo hide but I know where to look now.

That's amazing. I pinged ZoaCollector on Reef2Reef to see if they would be able to source any.

I'm creating a little fuge area in my sump. It might be a small space (1.5g approximately, low flow), but I think one of these pygmy anglers in there would work well. I'll put a few pieces of rock to let him hide. The water volume will be plenty for bioload with my ~45 total gallons of water.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, spectra said:

and a better one............. Qbert is his name :lol:

Resized_20170506_192647.jpg

Ok that's the best thing I've ever seen :D I feel like ZoaCollector would be the best option along with LA, does he ever get solitary pygmys? It seems like he only gets pairs

• Like 1

Not sure as I have not dealt with zoa collector. I pi9cked mine up from a local shop who has a Hawaiian connection. At the time I could have had a yellow one also but the yellow is kind of an off yellow. Didn't really matter as of now his color is really gone. Not sure if its what they eat in the wild or there habitat they live in.

Color is kind of like the pic you posted earlier. download-1.jpg

I love this species and have been looking to see if there are any other threads covering them. Three cheers for goofy, tint, cryptic fish!  Following this build. 

On 10/7/2017 at 5:35 PM, spectra said:

Not sure as I have not dealt with zoa collector. I pi9cked mine up from a local shop who has a Hawaiian connection. At the time I could have had a yellow one also but the yellow is kind of an off yellow. Didn't really matter as of now his color is really gone. Not sure if its what they eat in the wild or there habitat they live in.

Color is kind of like the pic you posted earlier. download-1.jpg

That's so sick! I sadly don't have anyone who I can think of that can get these guys in :blush: 

On 10/7/2017 at 5:55 PM, Rene said:

I love this species and have been looking to see if there are any other threads covering them. Three cheers for goofy, tint, cryptic fish!  Following this build. 

Haha thanks!