Innovative Marine Aquariums

Duncan "shedding"

uwharrie

10 is pretty high. Do water changes a lot less frequently, the corals will eat up what's in there now... but don't let it bounce around too much.

Since you're at 12 in your tank that's going to be tricky. I'd personally let it gradually work down to 9, then do a water change and see where that puts you. 

Since you have a Hanna checker this will be easy to manage! Just test every day (or every other day MAX!)

I cant see waiting that long for a water change. Since it was so high after two weeks I would be worried it would take a couple of months and with a 29 gal tank I feel I need to do at least biweekly water changes ( well at least was told that to keep water quality up)

what about lowering the Alk of the mix to 7-8 before water changes and just keep gradually raising it?

How do you intend to lower the alk of the salt mix without dramatically lowering the salinity?

After thinking about it for a while, I'm pretty sure your main (and possibly) only problem is the super low salinity you were running for who knows how long.

12dKH is on the very extreme end of ideal, but it shouldn't be causing your duncan problems. So your main concern is to just not let it get above that or swing down to fast.

Muratic acid will lower the Alk. I actually ended up using it in the tank about a year ago. The low salinity is not a long term thing. It was fine a month ago. It was low as I was topping off too much with RODI fresh

So the new reagent came in today. Seems ALK is not as bad as I thought. Tank was 9.6 I mixed 5 gal of IO reef crystals for water change and tank is now 8.5  Still high but not as high

• 4 weeks later...